Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shoulder surgery – Ti downgrade
  • stany
    Free Member

I’ve had a plate over my collarbone for the last 8 years and never been 100% comfortable with it.
    My nieces and nephews tend to bounce heads off it, there’s a nerve trapped under it and any impact or pressure at all is guaranteed to drop me to my knees.
    So I’ve had it removed. Done on Saturday in less than an hour, so I’m guessing no complications.
    Been told to wear a sling for 2 weeks but also to exercise it.
    There’s no pain and I feel like I’ve got full mobility. The bone’s not broken, just perforated from the screws, so I understand it’s a bit fragile.
    But how fragile? Anyone alse had this done? How long off the bike?

SamB
    Free Member

I took 6 weeks completely off the bike, then slowly worked up to MTBing again.

You can get back on it sooner, but the big risk is that IF you crash the bone will break much worse than before, and you’ll need a bigger and more permanent plate in. Given you’ve had an annoying collarbone for 8 years, waiting 6 months would be worth it IMO.

tomcrow99

I was thinking about having the exact same proceedure done only this morning, so I’m really interested to hear any experiences.I only get mild discomfort under certain situations but its the kids headbutting mine that really does it for me. Have you got the same numbness across the skin over the shoulder that you got after the initial operation? I also don’t know if I could face 2 weeks in a sling out of choice.

stany
    Free Member

I’ve still got a whacking great pad on it until staples come out (in another 10 days)
    I’m only wearing the sling out of the house to remind me not to swing the arm around. It all feels normal so I’ve forgotten a couple of times already.
    The skin still feels a bit numb but I expect that, given it’s been opened up twice.
    The fragility of the bone is my main concern. I want to be nack riding and climbing as soon as possible

jairaj

Just like all typical breakages it’ll take 6 weeks to heal fully.

The 2 weeks of sling use will be to try reduce any swelling and to help the initial knitting process happen. Your body will try to form a blood clot in the holes over which the new bone tissue will form. If you keep moving about you can dislodge the clot making it harder for the new bone tissue to grow. It’ll still grow but take more time.

regarding the numbness, this is because nerves are cut during the surgery. Some nerve tissue growth will happen but the sensation won’t ever be like before. The more you cut the more scar tissue you’ll have and more numbness. massaging the area regularly can help encourage nerve tissue growth.

I’m not a doctor or medically trained in any way but I have broken many bones, with the last one being a collar bone which needed screwing and plating and I like to ask a lot of questions so I’ve picked up some knowledge along the way.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Shoulder surgery – Ti downgrade’ is closed to new replies.