Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shoulder protection recommendations
  • leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve just recovered from some shoulder surgery prior to which I’d been off the bike for 12 months.

I’ve had my ACJ removed, my bicep ‘fixed’, a bursectomy and a subacromial decompression done. My shoulder is recovered enough to ride, I’m back doing the weekly night rides with my usual riding buddies, but about to revisit BPW and feeling like I should maybe invest in something to protect my shoulder where the ACJ was removed.

Can anyone recommend some light weight, comftable shoulder protection that would help cushion the end of my collar bone as it still feels a bit vulnerable.

sweaman2
    Free Member

12 weeks post dislocation and multiple fractures. I’ve been recommended the Leatt one but it might not suit your needs. It’s okay but you can feel it riding.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

lightweight won’t do shit for your shoulder other than give you some abrasion and mild bruising protection. You need something level II rated to even get close to giving you some actual impact protection and even then shoulders are notoriously hard to actually protect – Knox do level II inserts for their shirts.

Also, I love the Knox Urbane for lift assisted riding or dossing around on DH tracks/Chicksands. It’s hugely perforated, so cool – the stock back protector is one of the best there is – level 2 – but it’s also the softest thus the most flexible – the soft armour doesn’t stiffen in the cold like everyone elses….I’ve upgraded the elbows to level II….the shirt is about 130 quid andheavier duty elbows and shoulders are about 19 quid a pop.

There’s a chest protector you can buy as well for it. Cheap, well made and cool – pick all three! 😉

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ask Sue Ellen Ewing for some recommendations. 😉

leftyboy
    Free Member

sweaman2 – thanks I’m hoping for something I won’t notice/worry about so maybe not the Leatt one

Tom_W1987 – Great advice thanks, I’ll take a look, I realise that lightweight doesn’t equal much protection but I’ll only every use it twice a year so I wasn’t planning on anything too hardcore 🙂

I can’t repeat what Sue Ellen said when I asked her 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Great advice thanks, I’ll take a look, I realise that lightweight doesn’t equal much protection but I’ll only every use it twice a year so I wasn’t planning on anything too hardcore

If it’s not for everyday use, but for special occasions eg bike parks – all the more reason to go heavier.

I hope you have a good time at BPW btw, I’m going soon – really looking forward to it!

leftyboy
    Free Member

So as an update I survived both Cwmcarn – Cafall and BPW!

One of the guys I was riding with had two sets of body armour, his full on DH stuff and some lightweight stuff. He lent me his lightweight shirt, SixSixOne EVO Compression Jacket Short Sleeve, which did give me some confidence that a minor knock to my shoulder wouldn’t be the end of the days riding.

We all managed to stay upright at BPW and I did 7 blues and 1 red and didn’t do any damage!

I think the SixSixOne is probably ideal for me as I don’t do the blacks and I’m only looking for lightweight protection.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

EVOC do an “enduro shirt” which has sas-tec inserts (the stuff used in motorcycle leathers) on the shoulders. I’ve got the same inserts (they harden on impact)in my knee pads and having crash tested them on may occasions I can say they work well. seems to be difficult to find them though. Race Face do something similar with D3O inserts as well

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shoulder protection recommendations’ is closed to new replies.