Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Shoulder Pain – Work Related RSI?
  • LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

Any bods out there spend a lot of time at PC?

Waffle Section (can be skipped):
    Since I started my new job (6 mnths) have been having chronic shoulder/upper bicep pain. So bad that I have stopped doing a lot of the things I love. Due to unconcious pain avoidance actions I have also experienced knock-on problems elsewhere that have put me out of action for a few weeks. Apparently now only have 40% strength in my arm as I have been avoiding using it and its wasted away 🙁

Physio was convinced it must be sport-related (love cycling, also swimming/running) although my level of sporting activity is actually decreased since the new job due to the pain.
    They’re are now talking about an operation and this prompted me to think SURELY NOT!
    I also find that when I’m not at work, it doesnt hurt as much. A 10-day strenuous cycle tour of Scotland I expected to be agony but was virtually pain-free.

End of waffle:
    So I thought, maybe its work? Involves a lot of statistics and data analysis, which is mainly mouse-based at the PC. A quick search revealed this could be true and some quick adjustments (bringing mouse much closer, slight angle up using book) seem not to hurt as much.

Anyone any similar experiences? I thought maybe one of those Rollermouse things that sit in front of your keyboard might do the trick. Any experience of those?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

druidh
    Free Member

Have you ever undertaken a workstation assessment? Someone at your work should be responsible for making sure that this takes place. It involves looking at your sitting/working position and making various recommendations. Look for ISO 9241 (-5 and -9 are probably most relevant)

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Do certain movements like stretching or reaching bring on a spasm, then it dies pretty quickly? Is it an incredibly sharp, knife-like pain concentrated around the joint, spreading down the arm? If so, possible adhesive capsulitis and anti-inflammatories should help. apparently it’ll probably clear up when it’s ready to.
    Most of what you say doesn’t fit, but the cycle trp does.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Shoulder Pain – Work Related RSI?’ is closed to new replies.