• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shoulder pain – internet diagnosis…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Yes, yes I will be booking a session with a physio shortly but in the mean time, any idea what I might have done to myself?

On holiday in june we had a nice 50m pool so decided to swim 3km (used to swim loads but hadn’t for ages). Everything felt great in the waterm next day I couldn’t lift my arm.

It’s been getting better but it still hurts to lift my arm up straight with the palm facing forwards and move side to side from elbow (think answering question at school and then waving from elbow). Pain is across the top of the shoulder.

Obviously my arm isn’t in this position very often but it is a bit worrying it’s still not healed up and I’ve been resting from swimming / weights until it gets better.

Anyone suggest what I’ve done so I can do some research and whether I have to pay (more) money to the physio?

Tebbalot
    Free Member

An absolute guess here, but maybe a rotator cuff injury?

MrNutt
    Free Member

an internet diagnosis you say? google says it’ll be cancer.

My personal opinion would suggest that it could be a symptom of excessive self abuse?

boxelder

Tebbalot + 1.
    Trust me, I’m a teacher.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not simply wanting to offer just my own, uneducated, opinion; I’ve done some research…

Cat AIDS. The bad kind.

hora
    Free Member

Can’t be rotor. I did mine falling onto rocks in a high speed off. Swimming wouldn’t do it unless it was an old injury from a fall.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you do a swimming action when standing, you can do it infront of a mirror if needs be, does it hurt?

jet26
    Free Member

Most likely rotator cuff minor tear or arthropathy +/- impingement +/- adhesive capsulitis.

Treatment in first instance physio. ULtrasound +/- injection if not settling.

Taff
    Free Member

Could be rotator cuff related, probably a strain. I was quite surprised at the affect damaging one of the muscles had on the operation of the whole shoulder.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Overuse, lack of warming up and possibly exacerbating something lurking in your shoulder.

Tearing or micro-tearing ligaments is very easy, the trapezoids and latissimus dorsi muscles are pretty strong so it could be any of the links around there.

Anti-inflammotories (Ibuprofen, NSAIDS), painkillers to keep you moving it if just a little and a definite diagnosis so you don’t make it worse. What stroke were you swimming?

It may be worth Googling the stroke, area of your body and the term injury (excuse me if you have already).

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The evidence base for physio in shoulder problems is not great. But it may keep things moving. Try walking your hand up a wall in front and beside you.

If you can fully externally rotate your shoulder and rotate your thumb fully downwards when your arm is abducted to 90 degrees just wait and see. Most get better whatever. If you have loss of external rotation or some impingement then you may need referral if it persists.

More on exam here http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40001055/

And Hora is wrong. I see lots of things like this with relatively minor or no unusual or strenuous action starting it off.

DT78
    Free Member

From my reading and comments on here sounds like a rotator cuff 🙁

I have full movement even with rotating thumb down, it just hurts when I raise my arm upwards ( the last few inches)

Swim stroke was alternating 4 laps breast with 2 laps fast crawl. The crawl stroke hurts, whilst the breast doesn’t.

I’m planning on doing some very light weights (2kg) using the exercises I was taught for my broken collar bone (other shoulder….)

DT78
    Free Member

From my reading and comments on here sounds like a rotator cuff 🙁

I have full movement even with rotating thumb down, it just hurts when I raise my arm upwards ( the last few inches)

Swim stroke was alternating 4 laps breast with 2 laps fast crawl. The crawl stroke hurts, whilst the breast doesn’t.

I’m planning on doing some very light weights (2kg) using the exercises I was taught for my broken collar bone (other shoulder….)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shoulder pain – internet diagnosis…’ is closed to new replies.