Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Should window frames be attached to the masonry.
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

Just pulked the decorative* window surround to address crumbling plaster and the named storm that blows through the gap.

As i gently prised it i realised the whole shebang is sliding out the wall. Evidently the expanding foam isn’t enough to secure it.

After pushing it back i came straight here.

Should i leave as is or should i be securing the whole shebang with some nice big masonry anchors?

Edit.

Wrong forum sorry about that mods.

kayak23

The actual window frame is just stuck in with foam?

I’ve never come across a frame that isn’t screwed into the brickwork. Sounds like dodgy work to me.

I used to fit the odd upvc window years ago and we always screwed them in.

poolman
    Free Member

Yes builder just cemented mine in i was watching installation. That foam stuff is rubbish. I would expect screws and silicon as a minimum.

joebristol

I thought they should be screwed it to the wall before the glass units get put into the frame. Then either expanding foam or silicone (or both) to seal it tight against the wall.

nickjb
    Free Member

Expanding foam is more than enough to hold it in if done properly. Better to put a few frame bolts in if you can for belt an braces but its not essential.

totalshell

seen many held in place with wood blocks then expanding fowm spryed liberally all around.. all made pretty with bits of trim.. folks never know.. saw a house in sale last month with a two inch gap minimum at sides and 4 at top even with the trim once it was dark and bedroom lights on you could see light escaping around outside of frame..

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cheers folks bolts going in then gaps getting filled.

badllama
    Free Member

All the jobs I’ve been on with a mate in the building game, there is minimum 1x 3-4 inch screw from the frame into brick work on each side.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The upvc frame is screwed securely into a wooden frame of 6×2.

The 6×2 however are not…

km79
    Free Member

Some frames come with clips that you screw into the wall then the window frame clips into them. Only a cowboy would fit a window only using expanding foam.

project
    Free Member

Hotel i worked at a huge tilt and hinge window was only held in by foam, we found that out when the damm thing nearly killed us, and a house in chester the front door frame was held in place by being nailed to a strip of plastic L shaped plastic trim jammed into void between brickwork with foam and some blocks of wood.

All windows and doors should be secured to walls with mechanical fixings eg screws or bolts.

psling
    Free Member

joshvegas – Member 
    The upvc frame is screwed securely into a wooden frame of 6×2.
    The 6×2 however are not…

What windows were there originally, sliding sash? Is the 6×2 between the reveals or behind the outer brickwork/stone?

chickenman

Traditional sash and case window casements are held in by wedges in the four corners then plastered up to the inside facing of the weight box. Because of said weight box such windows go against the stonework reveal rather than inside an aperture in the brickwork like other windows. Expanding foam used judiciously will stop the casement flexing in the wind causing the mastic to fall out.

joshvegas
    Free Member

As above the wooden frame essentially packs out the old weight box.

They just didnt choose to actually fix everything to something.

All pre me so make do and mend.

robbo76
    Free Member

Never seen that before.. Just take the glass out and put about three screws in at each side also make sure it’s screwed to the cill if it as one

psling
    Free Member

Yeah, when they removed the original sash boxes they had to build up a subframe, in your case using 6×2. This would normally be fixed directly or with noggins to the stonework but that is not always possible depending on the state of the masonry behind the old boxes. Quite often foam is used especially if the internal finishing involves plasterboard or timber liners over the 6×2 which helps locate it. If you can expose the 6×2 and get a good sleeved frame-fixing into the wall in a couple of places each side then go for it! You may need to pack between the 6×2 and the wall though.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Some of my windows have no frames at all, the glazing is just stuck to the stone with silicone sealant (or similar) and/or held in place with a few wooden pegs 🙂

Shortly after moving in we found one of the lounge windows had slipped down by an inch or so leaving a gap that wide across the top…previous owners must have been wondering why it was so draughty!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cheers everyone!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Should window frames be attached to the masonry.’ is closed to new replies.