Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Should we take our bikes to the Alps?
  • vorlich
    Free Member

We’re heading off to the French Alps for 3 weeks next month. Driving down in the camper van, just me+missus.

She’s not much of a cyclist, so would likely be limited to riding traffic free/flatish routes. Haven’t been actively looking too much, thought a ride along Lake Annecy would be okay.

We don’t yet have a firm route in place, but looking at Chamonix, Annecy, Samoens etc then seeing how far down we get toward Barcelonette.

The bikes would be on the rack, so if riding options are limited, maybe we’d hire rather than taking our own.

Anyone got any suitable recommendations in the area?

Stoner
    Free Member

Samoens up into Sixt Fer a Cheval is a gentle road ride with again gentle off road options. All along the flat bottom river valley so no major climbing required.

Always worth having a bike on the back for exploring the area, finding bars, doing the shopping without having to pack the van up each time.

big_scot_nanny

I agree – if you can take it, do. When I have had the chance to take a bike, but for whatever reason have not, I spend every day going “ooh , there’s a great bit of Singletrack, wonder where that goes?”

vorlich
    Free Member

Thanks. Yes, good point. I was thinking I could go for evening rides when she is sat with a book or something.

nickjb
    Free Member

We take a lot of beginners and kids out the alps. There’s loads of easy riding as well as the gnaar on the videos. Going somewhere with an uplift means you can do all the downs without tired legs which makes the whole thing easier and more enjoyable, even if you just stick to the fire roads. Well worth taking the bikes and getting out there.

antennae
    Free Member

You’ll find mellow pootling options in those places I think: along the river in Samoens, around Les Bois in Chamonix.

Depends how much extra faff the rack will be and how many chances you’ll get to disappear off and ride the fun stuff 😀

fifeandy
    Free Member

100% take the bike, fabulous place to ride, although being a mountain range, limited flat options.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Should we take our bikes to the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.