Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Should we stock-up on Shimano 9sp XTR/XT/SLX?
  • Tiger6791

Just grow weird facial hair and move to 1 speed.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Well I already have and am happy with it – the facial hair and 1 speed.

Sunrace make decent 9 speed cassettes and will do for some time to come. Jockey wheels will remain available and the chains will always be available. So the only things to no be available are Shimano XT/XTR shifter and mechs. But since microshift and Sunrace make there own version they may plug the gap in the market and start making there own high end nine speed kit. Although some say there is nothing wrong with the microshift 9 speed kit.

Mike_D
    Free Member

The big manufacturers don’t seem to have picked up on this trend.

Specialized big enough?

😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ohh well done spesh [thumbs up]

“how about 11-36 9 speed cassettes – XT level quality”

That would be great.

scaredypants

“how about 11-36 9 speed cassettes – XT level quality” on a proper carrier

this
    or that – whichever makes terra the most cross 😉

bentudder

Sound like there’s a niche appearing for the smaller companies to exploit.
    Microshift’s thumb shifters

Way ahead of ya, Mostly:

Retrotastic by bent udder, on Flickr

Velo Orange mounts, Dia Compe downtube shifters. When I get ’round to putting gears on my Singular Hummingbird, these are the shifters I’ll use.

juan
    Free Member

Do we have any empirical evidence of that? Both Wipperman and Campag (and Shimano?) claim their 10 (or 11) speed chains are stronger than their 9 (or 10).

I don’t know anyone who’s had more problems with chains breaking, irrespective of riding style.

10 speed is probably good for road, cross

To be honest if a groupset is going to struggle ‘cross is about the worst environment because of the conditions it’s usually run in.

Plenty of broken chains during last year transvésubienne. Up to the point it was mentioned in the French Press.

2×10 gears are inappropriate for riding up mountains. As the 29×36 is not as small as the 22/34. I don’t think you change your gears in such hurry or under the same strain than you do during an enduro or any race around here.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

like juan said 10 speed isnt as good when it comes to going uphill as you just dont have enough low gears for it, but it becoming more popular due to bike companies sticking 10 speed as standard on most if not all thier bikes.

Its pretty much being forced down our necks, even more so than 29ers id even go as far to say…

I dout they get rid of 9 speed gear but it wouldnt suprise me if they start increaseing the cost of parts or stop using it completely on their production bikes soon.

Northwind

It’s inevitable they’ll stop selling good 9-speed, since 10-speed hasn’t shown enough benefit to get everyone to swap by choice now they’ll start forcing the change. ’twas ever thus. They’ve already used the other tricks- pushing the new standard for new bikes, and withholding features from the old standard.

TBH if one of the main companies would just make me an 11-36 cassette and a shadowplus-style mech in 9-speed that’d do me. But instead I guess I’ll be swapping over once XT comes along in shadowplus, on one bike at least.

My new CX bike is 2×10 but they’ve stuck such a narrow block on it I don’t even know why they bothered, the range is so tight they could have given it a good range of ratios with 6-speed.

dobo
    Free Member

I run 8 speed on my cx and 9 speed on my mtb. I’m preety sure the 8speed is more tolerant to mud and ice than the mtb, only 2 weeks ago on the mtb the mud froze on the topend 2 cogs meaning i got chainslip in thoose top 2 gears. This has never happend on the cx and i’e used that in snow and ice on sdw and in races.
    I can only imagine 10 speed to be worse on the mtb. Also acording to my garmin i’ve done more miles on the cx than the mtb and the mtb drive train isnt going to last much longer, it does get more abuse though so not directly comparable i guess.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m almost persuaded to go 10sp for the clutched derailleur. It’s just a shocking waste of my existing 9sp stock if I do.

Northwind

Aye. I’ll move one bike to 1×10 with a shadowplus I reckon, then the bits off that bike will keep another bike going for longer on 9. (I’ve got a lovely set of white X9 shifters on the Hemlock, not giving those up without a fight! Cold dead hands!)

float
    Free Member

My new CX bike is 2×10 but they’ve stuck such a narrow block on it I don’t even know why they bothered, the range is so tight they could have given it a good range of ratios with 6-speed.

but youd have massive gaps in between each gear. its not all about the overall range between the gears.

munrobiker
    Free Member

You should all man up and buy 10speed because-

a- chains last longer

b- it shifts better

c- it’s going to become ubiquitous whether you luddites like it or not.

munrobiker
    Free Member

(This is obviously on top of the wider range of gears, lighter chains and the option of tighter gear ratios on an 11-32 cassettes)

Northwind

float – Member

but youd have massive gaps in between each gear. its not all about the overall range between the gears.

I really wouldn’t. 10-speed with a 12-25 block means lots and lots of doubleshifts for me. a 6-speed 12-25 wouldn’t give much different gaps to a 10-speed 11-34.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Why do thumb shifters have such a cult following? in full twitter mode #shiteoutdatedtechnologhy

james
    Free Member

“I’ve been through five 9 speed ones in the last 2 years”
    Either you ride a LOT, or IMO you’re doing something wrong?

“10spd means I should be able to get away with running a single front ring”
    an 11-36T 10spd casette offers about half a gear extra range over a 11-34T 9spd casette

“With a 9spd I just used to shift as far as i could go into first gear and up I went over technical climbs. The 10 speed in 1st gear makes it very hard to clear anything as your feet spin around like roadrunners and you tend to stall from no speed”
    This is nothing to do with how many gears are on the casette, its the number of teeth that happen to be on the casette/chainrings

“how about 11-36 9 speed cassettes”
    11-34T 9spd casettes can feel a little ‘gappy’ sometimes IMO, 11-36T 9spd would feel more so

“2×10 gears are inappropriate for riding up mountains”
    IIRC a number of specialized bikes with 2×10 come with 38/24T chainrings and I guess 11-36T casettes. 24/36 is almost as lower a gear as 22/34T

“You should all man up and buy 10speed because-
    a- chains last longer
    b- it shifts better
    c- it’s going to become ubiquitous whether you luddites like it or not”
    But it’ll cost me a fortune to do so?
    Being forced to buy a 10spd rear mech only adds up
    What I don’t like is I’ll inevitably end up with a load of working 9spd stuff thats not worn out. A year ago I needed a new rear shifter, I went with a 9spd one, but I don’t think Ill get to wear it out, tis lovely, so a shame

” the wider range of gears”
    Shimano for eg typically has a narrower range of gears in 10spd though?
    Shimano 9spd typically 22-32-44T, 11-34T/11-32T casette
    Shimano 10spd typically 24-32-42T, 11-36T/11-34T casette

SRAM do offer 22-32-44T cranksets, but then middleburn offer a 20T 9spd granny ring?

“lighter chains “
    But heavier casettes, out back on the wheel. I thought less suspended/spinning weight was better?

I was holding back for lack of 10spd powerlinks, but I’ve since leanrnt others do offer 10spd ‘powerlinks’
    The cost puts me off so far, as well as I can’t see it really offers any massive benefits

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So, in conclusion I bought 9sp chainring, Cassettes and a derailleur. That should keep me going for a bit 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

2×10 gears are inappropriate for riding up mountains. As the 29×36 is not as small as the 22/34. I don’t think you change your gears in such hurry or under the same strain than you do during an enduro or any race around here.

Why would you have a 29t inner ring, neither SRAM nor Shimano offer that?

What you actually mean is inappropriate for your level of fitness, bike, and riding style. That doesn’t apply to everyone.

Shimano do 24/38, which with an 11-36 is near as dammit the same as 22/34. We’ve had the conversation about how useless that gear really is, for racing particularly as you can walk quicker, so I won’t go there again! Or you can run 22/34 but with a wider cassette and have an even easier gear so you can pedal down to 0.5mph.

ransos
    Free Member

Why do thumb shifters have such a cult following?

Light, simple, reliable, robust.

Mine are 19 years old and still in daily use.

Mike_D
    Free Member

the 29×36 is not as small as the 22/34

Um, 29? 26 or 24 (or 22 if it’s a SRAM triple, although a 22/36 on a 26in wheel bike is low enough to demand an extremely competent inner ear 😉 ).

Anyway, none of these “too high” 2×10 low gears are taller than the 24/28 that used to be an adequately low gear. Maybe the hills have got steeper?

ransos
    Free Member

Anyway, none of these “too high” 2×10 low gears are taller than the 24/28 that used to be an adequately low gear. Maybe the hills have got steeper?

I can get up hills now using 22/32 that I couldn’t get up BITD on a 24/28. Why would I want to go backwards?

juan
    Free Member

What you actually mean is inappropriate for your level of fitness, bike, and riding style. That doesn’t apply to everyone.

Sorry I mean it’s is not appropriate for riding up “MOUNTAINS” you know the stuff I have around here ;-). Albeit I force myself to use the 22 less and less it is sometimes very useful to go up technical sections. Or after 2400 m of altitude gains 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, for your Level of fitness and bike. You’re incredibly arrogant and naive if you think that’s the case for everyone! I’d not run a single ring if I was riding round there, but I’d not run a 22t either! Anyway, even the girl who’s TP bike set up is detailed in the other thread uses a single ring. Get over yourself saying the 22t is essential! Some people are fitter than you!

juan
    Free Member

[/quote]Anyway, even the girl who’s TP bike set up is detailed in the other thread uses a single ring.

WEll first the girls have not ride everything up hill… As you can see in the video a lot of bike carriage was involve. Secundo, the trans provence didn’t went trough the steepest mountains (sorry I do insist around here it’s moutain not hill). So please it’s your turn, don’t be arrogant, as you have clearly no clue where I ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

Whoah, talk about sexual tension.

TimothyD
    Free Member

‘cruzheckler – Member
    Why do thumb shifters have such a cult following? in full twitter mode #shiteoutdatedtechnologhy’

I like the lack of clicks coming from my handle bars when I shift with my friction thumbies.

Before i’d be spinning along listening to bird noises etc and hear clickity-click each time I changed gear with my 9 speed shifters, where with my thumbies it’s just the gear mech/chain moving noise in the background I hear, and I can be lazy and only lube my cables and housings once in a blue moon too.

TimothyD
    Free Member

For anybody interested, you could possibly put longer bolts onto a 10 speed rear mech and continue to use it with a 9 speed chain and cassette?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Should we stock-up on Shimano 9sp XTR/XT/SLX?’ is closed to new replies.