Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Should we pay 3rd world countries to look after our minor criminals?
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

With us giving millions of pounds of foreign aid to 3rd world countries and spending billions on incarcerating prisoners, it would be a gain for all. Prisons in the UK would be used for major prisoners with the minor prisoners sent overseas to work in construction and developing the infrastructure of that country in an open prison environment. Prisoners would be tagged and monitored by a satellite GPS tracking system. Equipment and materials needed would be supplied as part of the payment to the host country, plus food and financial assistance as part of the deal.

This would be a much better environment for the prisoners and they would be undertaking useful projects and learning what life is like away from crime. They would also see the good standard of living which they had compared with those around them. Sentencing would be in 6 month blocks where ships take new prisoners out and bring back the ones that have served their sentence. Dangerous criminals would still need to be kept under the penal system in the UK.

Billions of pounds would be saved, by this simple action, with everyone gaining. Justice would be served because prisoners could be sentenced without judges having to ask, “Have we room in the prison system to keep them?” Their Human Rights would not be affected, as they would have the same rights as those in the 3rd world country they were sent to. This can only improve the 3rd world with the bulk of the money paid by the UK going to the people who need it. Charities working in those countries should take a lead role in the setting up process.

Genius!
    (From a parliamentary flyer stuck through my letter box today)

Talkemada
    Free Member

Hmm, maybe, just maybe, not imprisoning minor offenders might ease prison overcrowding…

Just a thought, like. Get 'em doing proper Community Service, not the pathetically inefficient system we currently have.

boxelder

From a parliamentary flyer stuck through my letter box today)

I thought the Monster Raving Loonies had fizzled out?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

the minor prisoners sent overseas to work in construction and developing the infrastructure of that country

I am fine with this proposal, except that it is useless.

In which countries is there a shortage of people for labouring in construction projects? In which countries could British petty criminals make a meaningful contribution to developing infrastructure that would not be better done by locals? 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

boxelder, Me too!! I was really chuffed to get a flyer from a bunch of nutters that weren't one of the mainstream nutters.
    http://yourrighttodemocracy.org/

epicyclo

I suspect there is much to be said for the old system of exile or outlawry instead of that 🙂

Much cheaper.

KT1973
    Free Member

Seems fair enough. We seem to have taken plenty major criminals from the 3rd world countries.

(waits for pc brigade…)

Talkemada
    Free Member

Seems fair enough. We seem to have taken plenty major criminals from the 3rd world countries.

True:

IanMunro
    Free Member

In which countries is there a shortage of people for labouring in construction projects?

BD, 3rd world countries are mostly poor because the locals are often lazy and don't know how to work properly. If we shipped people like Jeffrey Archer over for 6 months, not only would it save us money, but it would teach the locals about a proper work ethic.
    I'd modify the proposal slightly in that at the end of the sentence prisoners would have to make their own way back to Great Britain without a passport, thus only the ones who really wanted to be here would return.

piha
    Free Member

Bad idea, those "third world countries" would end up beating us in rugby, swimming, athletics, cricket, football etc etc…… you get the idea!! 😆

hels
    Free Member

10 posts in and nobody has mentioned Australia yet ?

jonzo
    Free Member

Hard labour over here, where they can be seen!

luked2
    Free Member

Sigh. This must be a troll. Oh well.

I think if I was a citizen of some third world country I'd pretty unhappy if some rich western country dumped a load of it's sink-estate, social-experiments-gone-bad, small-time crooks on me.

I'd want to make sure they were securely locked up, not free to abscond as soon as they could prise their GPS tag things off their legs.

Apparently you have a long hot soak in the bath; the plastic then becomes much more flexible and can with care be pulled off your leg.

Salt mines could work though.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Just make them live in Basildon.

Or Wolverhampton.

m_cozzy
    Free Member

Would be better if criminals were executed & foreign aid was stopped totally.
    I would vote for any party suggesting that..

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ah. I see the epitomy of thoughtfulness and open-mindedness has arrived….

M Cozzy; do you have a swimming cossie?

samuri
    Free Member

Would be better if criminals were executed & foreign aid was stopped totally.
    I would vote for any party suggesting that..

You could start a party called 'The BNP? Pah? They don't go far enough!' and then you'd have your wish.

wwaswas

Should we pay 3rd world countries to look after our minor criminals?

Exporting child law breakers doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

jon1973
    Free Member

Should we pay 3rd world countries to look after our minor criminals?

No. Why not just make them work on 'useful projects' in this country? More supervised community service and less incarceration for petty criminals.

Plus, I'm not sure we should be expecting something in return for giving aid to third world countries?

LHS
    Free Member

As above, forget sending them to 3rd world countries, make the UK a better place by getting them to pick litter off the roads, countryside etc. Chain-gangs up and down the M1 getting rid of all the mcdonalds wrappers is what we need.

yunki
    Free Member

also as above…
    make the UK a better place by EATING them… along with the rich and also the elderly..

tootallpaul

As a volunteer in a third world country (Ethiopia), with a small understanding of development (very small) I really don't know weather to laugh or cry at this…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I think it is a good idea, though I see some areas that might be open to abuse.

Maybe this scheme could be offered as a voluntary alternative to sitting in one of our very expensively maintained prison cells?

What party put that forward then?

Junkyard
    Free Member

At roughly £40,000 per prison place per annum in order to save Billions how many prisoners do we need to send abroad?
    Each new prison place cost £114,000 to build but we already have these so no money to be saved there.
    You now require your ships to sail there and the infastructure to support the "placement" – GPS, Monitoring tags, paying for materials and fees to host country. How exactly are the cost savings of billions going to be achieved doing this?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I was thinking more along the lines of costs saved because it might be more effective in changing the mindset of offenders so they are less likely to offend again.

Also depending on where they went – you might find that things like tagging are unnecessary.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I can't see a Ryanair flight to Mogadishu International and a suitable donation to the pirates benevolent fund coming to more than a few hundred quid.

Junkyard
    Free Member

RTRP – not sure it would impact on recidivism unfortunately I doubt there is any research in this area
    IanM …hazard a guess that your suggestion probably violates their human rights and I would imagine international law not to mention the fact you are suggesting we get law breaker abroad to look after and rehabilitate the law breakers that are here…I just cant see it working …do I lack vision?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Junkyard; sort your **** keyboard out mate!

sweepy
    Free Member

we already dump our toxic waste on the third world, they dont need any more of the inevitable by products of our society.
    And as far as im aware international aid is less than the interest on their debts anyway so we cant act like were doing them any favours there.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Talkemada – Member
    Junkyard; sort your **** keyboard out mate!

It is the user not the keyboard 😳 Sorted it above.
    I used to know a fella who could write without punctuation and still make lucid comments ….well sometimes

LHS
    Free Member

From some angles i kinda like the sound of it, getting the scurge of society out doing good work in deprived countries, whether it is agriculture, irrigation, building services. It would also give them the chance to take a hard look at themselves and do some rehabilitation and realignment of their views seeing how many people struggle in this world.

I then wake up from my fluffy little perfect dream world and realise that this would be too hard to implement and they will all be playing on the playstations in their nice warm prison cells learning how to be better criminals!

El-bent
    Free Member

This won't sound "in vogue" with the right-wing commentators on here, but how about reducing the prison population by preventing people becoming criminals in the first place? Fairer society and all that?

It's not perfect, but simply locking people up and throwing away the key, and in some cases capital punishment. 🙄 I'm sure there will be a few here who'll say it "gets them off the streets" so to speak, but are missing one of the main points that it's supposed to deter people from committing crime. Which it hasn't.

It's akin to boxing up a badly made product coming off the continuous generational assembly line and storing it in a warehouse somewhere, where what we should be doing is going up to the start of the line and pressing the stop button. A bit like Rover cars.

zaskar
    Free Member

I thought it was developing world.

And countries are cmplaining about Britain sending criminaols with new I.D. to their country.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Should we pay 3rd world countries to look after our minor criminals?’ is closed to new replies.