Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Should we let Turkey into the EU?
  • wwaswas

Slight problem that this bloke’s an Ed Milliband looky-likey but;

Yusuf Yerkel is a senior adviser to Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan – a man who thinks his country should join the EU.

He is usually to be seen at the side of his boss. He is an educated man – not least at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London. So to say he should know better is putting it mildly.

But there he is, in front of several photographers and cameraman, in Soma yesterday, kicking a protester whilst he is both lying on the ground and being manhandled by several military guards.

http://blogs.channel4.com/alex-thomsons-view/turkey-grief-anger-met-contempt-thuggery/7845

I think it’s images/attitudes like this of ‘people who should know better’ and the fact that Turkey feels, when all said and done, a lot more ‘foreign’ to most UK citizens than most other European states.

It certainly fuels the argument (from a number of political parties) that we are, perhaps, too ready to see an ever expanding EU as a ‘a good thing’ regardless of the economic and social consequences for existing members and seemingly regardless of the political, monetary and social stability of the new members.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think it’s images/attitudes like this of ‘people who should know better’ and the fact that Turkey feels, when all said and done, a lot more ‘foreign’ to most UK citizens than most other European states.

I’m trying to think which reminds me more of the UK: Portugal or Turkey.

ninfan
    Free Member

Even though the industries are keen to see it happen (another untapped source of cheap labour) there’s not a chance of it happening under current EU rules till there’s a resolution to the Cyprus issue

Which is definitely not one to hold your breath over…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No; but if it were to happen (EU/NATO member convergence being a ‘pushing’ factor) the UK would be powerless to prevent it. We joined a ‘Common Market’ of nine nations but now find ourselves in a Union of twenty-eight…

And sadly the reasoned opposition to the EU is eclipsed by UKIP.

kimbers

Turkish spring anyone? the end of the ‘secular’ ataturkism
    Im sure there are plenty of jihadis on the run in syria whod pop over, borders with georgia, iraq, iran… plenty of scope for trouble
    and a breakaway kurdistan
    greece could even nick back half of cyprus

all in all I imagine a lot of people could end up suffereing

hopefully it will lead to reform of labour laws rather than anarchy

BigDummy
    Free Member

Italy is a bit of Africa that got lost and sneaked into Europe. Turkey is a garden-room extension to the Middle East. All much of a much-ness.

🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

That’s “Ed Milliband” kicking a person while the person is down.

Vote Labour with the Eds and you get a good kicking … 😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Turkey (IMO) is one of the most conflicted countries I have ever been to, on one hand it is very European then struggles trying to marry that with a Muslim religion and belief culture. The further East you go the wierder it gets. They have a serious problem with the way they see and treat women. Two episodes that I have had personal involvement with back this thought up.

One of the nicest and gentelest people I have ever met was a Turk and with out doubt the biggest **** I have ever met was Turkish.

Istanbul is a truly amazing place. I see the country falling apart in the future to be honest.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They have a serious problem with the way they see and treat women.

Also true of this country, if you go back a number of years.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

The vast majority of the European heroin trade is run by Turks. They are not to be messed with.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Great barbers though!

jekkyl

Nope, just chickens.

konabunny
    Free Member

Im sure there are plenty of jihadis on the run in syria whod pop over, borders with georgia, iraq, iran… plenty of scope for trouble

Georgia is a Christian country.

Northwind

We don’t want to mess with the Turks. But they keep trying to kidnap Aeris so I don’t see we’ve got much choice.

aracer
    Free Member

In a similar way they have mining disasters like we had in the 19th century.

yossarian
    Free Member

Turkey should not be admitted into the EU. The ethnic cleansing of the Kurds (our own ECGD led by the right hon. Richard Caborn & Balfour Beattie were complicit btw) is reason enough.

konabunny
    Free Member

Even though the industries are keen to see it happen (another untapped source of cheap labour)

Is there a shortage of cheap labour in the EU?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Turkey has both an E and a U in it so I say, yes.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Turkey has both an E and a U in it so I say, yes.

Surely that would create an infinite recursion, eventually causing global politics to run out of memory and have to be restarted?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If you say so.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Should we let Turkey into the EU?’ is closed to new replies.