Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • should Turkey be part of the EU?
  • alpin
    Free Member

it seems that Turkey is slowly being integrated into the EU. Turks will soon have visa-free travel in Europe. but give the whole Böhmermann/Erdogan palava, that Erdogan is little short of a dictator, the fact that they are heavily suspected in supporting (directly or not) ISIS/Daesh through the purchase of oil, that they bomb their own people (the Kurds), the closure of its media and that most of the the country and its inhabitants are on the Asian continent, do you think that Turkey should be part of the EU?

turkish politics….
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi96f4v5iC0[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

No,

Next.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Nope.

wwaswas

Nope.

Hateful government and leader.

If it weren’t for the situation in syria I think the EU would be considering sanctions for human rights abuses against it (NAto membership notwithstanding).

soobalias
    Free Member

vote leave and stop worrying.

the-muffin-man

Only at Christmas.

Pigface
    Free Member

No, massively conflicted country that could go postal at the drop of a hat.

Xylene
    Free Member

Should Croatia, Romania or Serbia be part of EU?

binners

They’re dangling the carrot of EU membership so that in return the Turks will stop sending people who are the wrong colour and religion to Europe.

In reality, its never gonna happen

br
    Free Member

do you think that Turkey should be part of the EU?

Which part? Single trade area, without-Borders or just the song contest? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

No and they stand no chance currently

Their leader is a freedom crushing despot.

Northwind

Only argument is that maybe we can influence them away from being bawbags. But that doesn’t seem very likely so no.

alpin
    Free Member

Quirrel – Member

Should Croatia, Romania or Serbia be part of EU?

if you ask me, no… in fact if you ask many Germans they will say no. some may even say that the former East Germany shouldn’t be part of Germany…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes

Massive market, great demographics, growing population, geopolitical importance – great for both parties

Bring it on….

DrJ

Massive market, great demographics, growing population, geopolitical importance

Money money money. Freedom of speech? Who gives a fig??!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Who gives a fig?

They do – world’s largets producer. Money, money, money really does grow in trees…. 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’d rather we gave the Greeks **** loads of arms, tell them that they are free to take Northern Cyprus and erect a 300 metre statue of Lord Byron pissing into the sea towards Turkey.

wwaswas

growing population,

other than the pogrom against the kurds…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Moderately amusing but do you not have one single ethical concern with this?
    You would literally happily make money from anyone at any price?

footflaps

I’d rather we gave the Greeks **** loads of arms, tell them that they are free to take Northern Cyprus and erect a 300 metre statue of Lord Byron pissing into the sea towards Turkey.

You are Ken Livingston and I claim my £5.

footflaps

You would literally happily make money from anyone at any price?

That’s One Nation Conservatism for you, happy to do anything, with anyone, as long as there is a profit involved.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You are Ken Livingston and I claim my £5.

Turkey is Jewish now? 😀

That’s a bit overkill, even by the IDFs standards.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As opposed to isolating them – shall we have an enclave ensuring that they are separate from the rest of us. They do look a little different after all and we cant be having that. Not to mention the harm that baklava would do to our teeth. We can leave them to Edogan and his lot. How thoughtful and caring – actually not very thoughtful at all.

Being part of the EU and all that involves – remember workers rights my leftie friends – would do a lot more for the average Turk than leaving them in isolation or as mere geopolitical pawns.

chewkw
    Free Member

should Turkey be part of the EU?

If you wish to feed them and the entire Central Asia coz they are related, yes.

If you find it difficult or stressful or worrying to feed your family now, no.

footflaps

As opposed to isolating them

As opposed to maintaining the status quo?

mikeyp

The EU doesn’t seem competent to manage its current member states demands and needs some significant reform. On that basis it would be a bad idea. Its just a massive carrot to get the turks in line which is currently not working. Erdogan knows he holds the cards when it comes to Syria

DrJ

They do look a little different after all and we cant be having that

Look Ma – the casual “racist” slur.

Admitting Turkey at this point would send a signal that Erdogan is just fine. Making it clear that Turkey has no chance of joining the EU with the current regime would indicate to the powers that be in Istanbul that they need to take reform seriously.

slowoldman

What would Bernard Matthews have said?

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

Our Turkey are tasty? 😆

athgray
    Free Member

Bootiful!

rabyoung
    Free Member

The EU? the European Union that is? I thought Turkey was in Asia or particularly Asia Minor. What’s the EU touting for business outside it’s area of concern? But apart from that I wouldn’t touch that facist state with a 10 ft kebab.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I thought Turkey was in Asia

Its in Afro-Eurasia

HTH

Junkyard
    Free Member

Turkey clearly border and bridges Europe and Asia

As one would expect it has influences of both “cultures”
    One could argue it either way and better to view it as a “cusp” state than either IMHO

mattyfez

Istanbul is kind of a geographical gateway, but in the information age, it’s not so relevant.

I’d like to see them in the EU, but the countries still too unstable with a whacky government to put it mildly.

I think it’s best we maintain a relationship with them but they simply are too batty to join the EU.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Turkey has the EU over a barrell with the migrant crises, talks have been re-opened as a condition for actually doing something about it, that plus €9bn 😯

Visa-free travel will be ushered in despite Turkey not meeting 5 of the tests

Should they be admitted No, will they be Yes

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘should Turkey be part of the EU?’ is closed to new replies.