Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • should they test new drugs on hardend criminals,instead of animals?
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

Like in China?

This misunderstands the concept of a human right. Human rights is pure ideology. It is an ideology of free, self-actuated individual people, which asserts that there are some things that may not legitimately be done to a human being by a government or in pursuance of a social purpose. Whether government or the law recognises those rights is totally immaterial.

In good societies, we say, government does recognise those rights, because a good society is founded on the principle that human beings are ends in themselves and not means towards the achievement of a 5-year target for economic growth. Our society takes the idea so seriously that it has almost discredited it through silliness. The Chinese government does not take it seriously at all. But that does not stop an imprisoned Chinese dissident stating "what the government is doing to me is wrong, because I am a human being and I have rights, common to all human beings and which subsist in my humanity and not in any law, which, if you trespass upon them by subjecting me to arbitrary arrest and detention put you in the wrong and the society you are trying to create in the wrong".

The language of human rights is a part of the language and ideology of natural justice, and is a framework for critiquing law which exists outside of the law. It is one of the ways in which we say "this law is wrong", to which it is no answer to say "but it is the law nonetheless". 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You wouldn't even need to force most criminals to try any new drug. Most of them will try ANYTHING just to get some kind of 'buzz'. Well they do on the wing I work on anyway, of which 80% are on methodone.

hora
    Free Member

[Stalin]Instead of testing drugs why not test new types of military hardware on crims?[/Stalin]

DrDolittle
    Free Member

[Stalin]Instead of testing drugs why not test new types of military hardware on crims?[/Stalin]

It's much easier to test it on civilians in the Middle east.

hora
    Free Member

It's much easier to test it on civilians in the Middle east.

The only good Arab/Muslim to a American is one who does what America says. Even in their own land….then America wonders why the locals uprise and fight occupation.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Could we test them on Morris Dancers instead?
    There's a bunch of them banging and clapping outside at the moment and it seems the logical thing to do.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

The only good Arab/Muslim to a American is one who does what America says. Even in their own land.

Hmmm, it aint just the yanks these days…

Brits apparently unable to deal with criticism, right or wrong, claims spokesperson for unpopular borderline facist governing party.

compositepro
    Free Member

how on earth would you get an accurate result from any tests

bearing in mind drug companies dont really need (ahem) accurate test results

grahamt1980

The biggest problem is that of variation, they use fairly interbred mice and animals to minimise the natural variation of the animals in a test.
    How likely do you think it is that a prison population is going to have a pretty uniform genetic makeup?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘should they test new drugs on hardend criminals,instead of animals?’ is closed to new replies.