Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)
  • Should there be child-free zones on planes and trains?
  • geoffj

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19728508

Certainly, there appears to be support for segregation. In April, a survey of 1,666 British adults by Jetcost.co.uk found that 53% supported child-free flights.

A poll by Tripadvisor in August found that over a third of Britons would be prepared to pay extra to travel by air without the presence of children.

😯

ononeorange

Yes

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Good idea.

And Fat people. Students as well. Maybe then they could keep different skin colours apart too?

I know; eveyone can have their own travel area. Let’s call it a car.

It’s public. Get a grip.

Stoner
    Free Member

Maybe then they could keep different skin colours apart too?

Yeah, them noisy pale scots ought to be in the hold.

Pigface
    Free Member

FFS

jam-bo

A poll by Tripadvisor in August found that over a third of Britons would be prepared to pay extra to travel by air without the presence of children.

Does that include the parents?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Maybe then they could keep different skin colours apart too?

One area for excessively orange people, another area for the rest. Could work.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Yeah probably a good idea… Well it’d stop me smacking some upetty twit for asking me to shut my kid up at least. not smacking people is good on a plane.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes, if I choose a quiet coach on the train it should be quiet not full of screaming kids due to it being half term.

As for all the 2nd class citizen BS it’s just one part not like your not allowed to travel.

Dancake
    Free Member

There should be a child-free zone in my house.

Big shed down the bottom of the Garden should do it.

Lifer
    Free Member

Children aren’t the problem. Parents who can’t control their children are the problem.

toys19
    Free Member

I was on a BA flight whith a child who would not stop screaming, it was terrible, one chap complained to the parents, asking them why they could not shut their child up. They said they had tried everything, so the chap indignant, rightously complained to the cabin crew.

Guess who got upgraded to business class?

The family thankfully.

All you tossers whop think the world should stop because you have managed to navigate your way through childhood and think that adult life should be removed from real life should go and boil your heads.
    How chuffin ignorant.

tomhoward

When was the last time you saw/heard kids in 1st class? Planes or trains.

See, there’s already a system in place 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

Dancake – Member
    There should be a child-free zone in my house.

Big shed down the bottom of the Garden should do it.

ha ha yeah I agree.

footflaps

You should not be allowed to let your children out in public till they are 16 – would be simpler than travel specific bans….

Junkyard
    Free Member

My only question is who is looking after my kids on this other plane whilst I travel in a relaxed and comfortable style.

binners

Yeah, but lets be honest… if you conducted a poll this morning, where the question was…

Do you think that people who, and things that, you don’t personally approve of, should be and kept out of your sight at all times? Possibly in caves? Or maybe even blown up (in the case of things) and beaten to death, or enslaved, maybe turned into a source of energy or food (in the case of people)?

What do you think the stats would be?

leffeboy

Likes toys19

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yes definitely an area for non breeders, i always book a seat in the quiet coach on trains and would do the same on aeroplanes, nothing worse than screaming badly behaved kids, don’t mind the odd grizzle but not parents who just ignore the racket in the hope it might go away.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All you tossers whop think the world should stop because you have managed to navigate your way through childhood and think that adult life should be removed from real life should go and boil your heads.
    How chuffin ignorant.

This makes it easier we don’t have to stare at you or complain because we are sitting somewhere else with identical seats and identical service where you can do some work or maybe get some sleep.

People with kids sometimes need to just get over themselves.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Words fail me

poly
    Free Member

Eh, surely this option already exists? Travel first or business class and it is very unusual to see children and even more unusual to get the screaming type.

So what this appears to suggest is that market researchers are useless at differentiating what people say and what people will do (as 1/3rd of passengers are not itching to pay extra to travel business/first)

Solo
    Free Member

I disapprove of people who think its their right to unleash their children upon everyone else. It was their decision to have children, not everyone elses. However, in the real world, its probably useful to use……

StefMcDef
    Free Member

There should be a carriage or two at the end of a train reserved for evangelical Christians, noisy brats and their chippy, irresponsible parents, the flatulent, the corpulent, smokers, and those who think it acceptable to eat egg sandwiches, oranges and crisps in public. Let them all stew in their own nuisance value.

Give me a mobile phone user or someone with tinny music leaking out of their laptop earphones as a travelling companion any day of the week, over any of the above.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

OMG – you can tell the people who have no idea what its like being parents!! 🙄

Kids are part of society and strangely we were all one at one time. Kids explore, kids make noise and there is a kid in all of us but most of us have become too serious and dull to remember. 😉

Its worth remembering children have a mind of their own and aren’t just some remote control part of their parents. If they were then jesus it’d be easy to control them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On balance, I’d say that over the years I’ve been more annoyed on planes by adults than by children.

binners

OMG – you can tell the people who have no idea what its like being parents!!

Can’t you just. Can I just stand still here while the whole ****ing world revolves around ME, ME, MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Solo
    Free Member

Bushwacked.

You’ve completely missed the point. Children aren’t the issue, yes, obviously they display the characteristics you list and rightly so.
    Furthermore, children, to the best of my knowledge, don’t book two weeks in benidorm.

So, please, don’t tar everyone with the child hater brush.

I blame the parents for not giving a stuff about anyone else, including the children, who probably aren’t enjoying being couped up for hours on a boring train or plane, etc, etc.
    😉

stumpy01

Depends on the parents, doesn’t it? Some will bring things along to keep their kids entertained, will actively stop them from constantly kicking your chair back etc. while others will make no provision to keep kids entertained & then ignore them when they get bored & run amok.

On holiday recently there were 2 very small ‘adult only’ areas around the pools, where you could go & get some peace & quiet. It was a family hotel, so I don’t have an issue with there being shouting, screaming kids around but it would be nice if the parents could have stayed out of the adult only areas with their kids. The areas we such a small space in relation to the rest of the grounds & there were loads of other areas where they could have gone.

athgray
    Free Member

If there were segregated areas on planes with and without kids, I know which I would rather be in. Miserable sods. Most people on planes are going or coming back from holiday. Enjoy it. Kids never bothered me. Chill out and listen to some music.
    It sound just as well some of the posts on here don’t have kids because their tolerance levels are so low their heads would probably explode if they did.

molgrips
    Free Member

What amuses ne is the thought that people tell you to shut your kids up, as if you’ve chosen to make your kid scream and pester you for 7 hours. Believe me it’s a lot worse for me than it is for you. I can’t turn the movie up and ignore it, I have to try and keep a lid on it for every second of the flight.

Fwiw I have never had a screaming kid for 7the hours, I manage to entertain them, but it is very hard work especially for overnight flights. But I sympathise with those who have trouble.

yunki
    Free Member

Hmm..
    I’m in agreement..

This morning for example, Tarqueenie and Narwahl were both very tired after being awake all night again with the bad dreams..
    Our family physician was unable to administer IV Diazepam as he usually might when we are taking a journey, as they had already had a large dose yesterday to help them relax whilst we all dined with the Smythe-Bartons at that new place by the bridge.. (their children were awful, and by midnight when the coffee and brandy was served, they were exibiting visible signs of agitation, how frightfully gauche..!)

Usually we would have our Guru fly with us to administer Prahna head massage if the kids are getting restless, but he is sick with the Syphillis again..
    So obviously we have taken the decision to cancel our holiday plans, as to subject other travellers to Tarqueenie’s inquisitive questioning, and Narwahl’s pitiful mewing at her teething pains would be terribly unrefined..

children should be seen and not heard..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So far I still see no reason why you can’t have a kid free quiet zone?
    Just lots of people getting angry that their kids can’t mix with business people or those who just want to spend the 12hr flight catching up on sleep.
    What exactly do parents have against it apart from their right to have children everywhere?

br
    Free Member

When was the last time you saw/heard kids in 1st class? Planes or trains.

A colleague of mine use to use his twice-yearly business return (posted to Oz) this way, him and his wife in Economy and the two kids in Business. As he said, they’ll get well looked after and we can eat/drink/sleep not worrying.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Solo – I think the point I was trying to get across is that actually most do… but even the most considerate parent will find that there are times when children are “seemingly” uncontrollable.

Like the time when my 2 year old sat on my lap next to the aisle and all she wanted to do was crawl across my and my wife’s lap to poke the guys newspaper who was sat in the window seat – no matter how hard we tried we couldn’t stop her doing it and the guy was a **** about it.

Or like the time we flew to New Zealand and she wanted to run about and make noise when the lights were down. To avoid making too much noise or disturbing nearby passengers I did laps of the airplane but even then you could see some passengers tutting. Am I supposed to sedate them???

Both my kids are really well behaved but put them in a confined space or a new environment and all they want to do is explore – bit like a rider exploring trails – its in our nature!

The point is, it’s not just the parents but society as a whole who need to change their approach and be more accepting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no problem with kids making noise – ill just stick on my noise cancellers and put the volume up

what i have an issue with is when they start climbing all over the place and running up and down the plane.

or there was the nigerian woman who decided that i wasnt allowed to stick my seat back cause her precious kid was sat behind me ……. just about broke her wrist when she woke me up by shaking me violently.

bigyinn
    Free Member

A poll by Tripadvisor in August found that over a third of Britons would be prepared to pay extra to travel by air without the presence of children. are bigots

FTFY

yunki
    Free Member

The point is, it’s not just the parents but society as a whole who need to change their approach and be more accepting.

or perhaps, a return to more enlightened times, when a haughty grumbling buffoon could cheerfully be delivered a good hard smack in the nose for being such a numpty..

😀

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Having said that, for every kid that screams and kicks the back of your chair, there are others that keep you royally entertained. Still remember a kid on a flight that must’ve been 25 years ago. He had the brazen boldness of the hyperactive, a comedy deep voice and broad Northern accent, like the kids in the Vauxhall Zafira ads, and ran up and down the aisle informing his fellow travellers that “Mah boodgeh had ‘eart attack. In its tummeh” 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bushwhacked

I see you point and at no point was I suggesting that children etc shouldn’t be on planes etc.

I’m normally too polite to say something when a kid hits my paper etc. I just have to grin and bear it.

People will look pissed off especially if you noisy kid round the entire plane.

So why can there not be a bit of the plane where there are no kids?? We are not treating kids like 2nd class citizens or demonising parents. Just sometimes the only quiet time is the few hours on the plane or the train.

At no point is anyone saying you should all be out on the wing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Should there be child-free zones on planes and trains?’ is closed to new replies.