Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • should the UK ditch Northern Ireland and hand it over to the Irish Republic?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Trust me Wilburt, I don’t need a lesson in Irish history. If you are playing devils advocate then your position should at least make sense. Compensating Britain for the loss of an asset is like suggesting a thief should be compensated for having to return stolen goods.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Declare it independent and walk away.

This.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Ok as an N.Irishman/Irishman/British/Ulsterman

Ireland should never have been partitioned and should be united.

As you can see from my national identity above, doing anything about it is nigh on impossible.

Just leave things the way they are, I.e a cluster****

aracer
    Free Member

Would need to be at least a couple of generations.
    [/quote]

Which isn’t really going to help with the Brexit issue.

Surely the far easier solution than holding a referendum on Irish re-unification would be to hold another referendum on a different issue?

mrmo
    Free Member

Britain didnt invade the top bit, the whole of the island of Ireland has been under British (English) control for centuries. It was given independence in the 20’s with NI keeping home rule.

It wasn’t given independence, and there isn’t really a single date when independence was achieved, unlike India. More like decades of disentanglement. There are reasons why Ireland has changed its official name over the years.

Ask yourself why the Irish have been allowed to live and work in the UK in a way no other immigrant community ever has been?

crispyrice

The best thing to do would be SUFTUM!

Saccades
    Free Member

I live in a republican SF stronghold and if you can find 10 billion a year down the back of the sofa (because Ireland doesn’t have it), stop the mentalists with the flags and bonfires, get rid of the nut job religionists and get rid of the populist arseholes in SF then you might get people thinking about voting for it.

People will sing the songs but the last person I know who really wanted it died last year. Most nowadays are happy for the blurred choice everyone has.

wilburt
    Free Member

Compensating Britain for the loss of an asset is like suggesting a thief should be compensated for having to return stolen goods.

Within these timescales every landed family in the UK and most Americans could be called thiefs.

Academic argument though and the sort of thing people go to war over.

oldnpastit

Surely the far easier solution than holding a referendum on Irish re-unification would be to hold another referendum on a different issue?

How many referenda do you need? We had a referendum, Leave won, Remain lost.

johnners
    Free Member

Best of 3 seems fair.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Within these timescales every landed family in the UK and most Americans could be called thiefs.

Academic argument though and the sort of thing people go to war over.

I love a history lesson from people with access to wiki.

jonnyboi

If it was covered by the sale of goods act, we’d all be eligible for a refund.

matt_outandabout

Declare it independent and walk away.

I am sure someone had a similar process of arbitrary border line moving at somepoint – suddenly declaring houses and people in one country belonged to another country, with a slightly different religious view. I am not sure it went all that well…
    IIRC, Britain walked away from this one too.

wilburt
    Free Member

The point I was making is the people of Ireland should look forward because looking back is futile.

Sorry for using Wiki whats the STW reference of choice or would you rather I rewrite it myself?

jimjam
    Free Member

wilburt – Member
    The point I was making is the people of Ireland should look forward because looking back is futile.

Irish history is something no Englishman should forget and no Irishman should remember – George Bernard Shaw.

Unfortunately that’s something neither party are capable of.

aracer
    Free Member

In order for NI to leave the UK and unify with Eire? At least one more. I was simply commenting on the optimum additional referendum to hold.

I’m also not sure why you think anybody won.

scotroutes

Would a referendum in each county work rather than being province wide? I wondered if the counties nearer the Republic might already shown a majority in favour of unification.

gerti
    Free Member

Or maybe the ROI could join the UK?

ctk
    Free Member

I wonder what Corbyn’s third political wish would be?

Brexit
    United Ireland

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Getting to bang Diane abbot again?.

rene59
    Free Member

Getting to bang Diane abbot again?. [/quote]Would that require a vote in parliament?

jimjam
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Would a referendum in each county work rather than being province wide? I wondered if the counties nearer the Republic might already shown a majority in favour of unification.

Interesting idea. You’d probably end up with an Antrim/North Down statelet and I’m not sure what that would achieve.

Pz_Steve

I think if the UK government put “geographic convenience” over the wishes of the majority of residents, then the good folk of Gibraltar and Islas Malvinas would have something to say about it. And as with Scottish Indyref and Brexit, it’s the views of the residents which count.

I’m all for the SE of England gaining independence, though, and I’ve have thought most people (on both sides) would be up for it.

ETA: can you imagine the arguments debate over where the parliament for the Rest of the UK would sit? Where would YOU vote for…? (Should be a STW poll).

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘should the UK ditch Northern Ireland and hand it over to the Irish Republic?’ is closed to new replies.