Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Should the IOC boycott it's own olympics?
  • footflaps

If they had a moral backbone then yes, but as they’re just a bunch of crooks on the take and Russia paid the biggest bribes, I suspect it will go ahead as planned…

back2basics
    Free Member

yes

kimbers

footflaps – Member
    If they had a moral backbone then yes, but as they’re just a bunch of crooks on the take and Russia paid the biggest bribes, I suspect it will go ahead as planned…

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

this ^^^

its all quite funny really after all is this not the campest world leader you can think of?

mt
    Free Member

remember the IOC is made up of Set Blatter Pat Mquaid types. So no chance. Fry’s letter is a good one.

mt
    Free Member

does he not need a little support in the chest area. Send him along to John Lewis apprently the do a free bra fitting service.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

its all quite funny really after all is this not the campest world leader you can think of?

Anyone else see the frankly brilliant piece on him on The Last Leg the other day? If not, seek it out. One of the funniest shows on TV today.

Sochi is a joke. A scandalous joke, and not a very funny one either.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Chris Hitchens: “I am quite happy asking my good friend Stephen Fry to babysit whilst my wife and I go out for the evening. If a priest in full regalia turned up to do it, first I’d call the police and THEN I’d call a cab…”

messiah
    Free Member

Anyone else see the frankly brilliant piece on him on The Last Leg the other day

Make Putin a Gay Icon… genius 😆

CountZero

Chris Hitchens: “I am quite happy asking my good friend Stephen Fry to babysit whilst my wife and I go out for the evening. If a priest in full regalia turned up to do it, first I’d call the police and THEN I’d call a cab…”

Your point, caller?

edlong
    Free Member

Does anyone know why Fry is focusing on sport? Given his line of work, I could better understand it if he was advocating for a cultural boycott, but as far as I am aware, that is not the case? It just seems an odd direction for him to take.

kimbers

edlong – Member
    Does anyone know why Fry is focusing on sport? Given his line of work, I could better understand it if he was advocating for a cultural boycott, but as far as I am aware, that is not the case? It just seems an odd direction for him to take.

i suspect hes just look for any way to protest at the nasty new laws theyve just brought in

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Your point, caller?

atlaz
    Free Member

i suspect hes just look for any way to protest at the nasty new laws theyve just brought in

They’re really just the formalising of what was accepted policy anyway. Police don’t seem to be too concerned about beatings and murders of homosexuals. The Olympics is, as Fry points out, supposed to be about freedom, not going to whatever brutal regime has ponied up the cash.

crankboy
    Free Member

Unequivocaly yes . A friend posted the really dark anti McDonald’s Olympic picture from a Russian site also on the site were images of what is going on under the cloak of these laws and the state sanctioned tolerance of homophobia. There is no way anyone with a shred of decency could be part of an event that will be used by Putin to promote his regime.

Northwind

This calls for a Berlin-style riposte, we should send all our best gay athletes to beat the manly russians. And if they’re not already gay, then they can take one for the team.

chrismac

Why should any one take any more notice of Fry than any other person? Just because he does a bit of work on the telly and in “The Arts” doesnt make his views any more or less important than any other citizedns.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

More people pay attention to those who are famous than to those who are relatively unknown. This gives the opportunity for the wider dissemination of views and opinions than just you talking about it down the pub to your mates.

Of course, you don’t have to pay any attention to it if you don’t want… oh. You already have.

konabunny
    Free Member

Why should any one take any more notice of Fry than any other person?

I don’t know – why did you?

crankboy
    Free Member

It should be pointed out that wonny’s link involves very unpleasant images as well if you don’t want to expose yourself to them the gist is neo nazi group abduct and torture a youth to death for being gay post images of themselves doing it including their identitys the Russian authoritys not only do not act but applaud them as a civic group upholding Russian values.

Yay let’s go to Russia for the Olympic’s.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@wonny j – that has thoroughly depressed and disheartened me.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Whether IOC do I don’t know but you can influence whether GB does by signing the online petition

rsmythe
    Free Member
    Northwind

chrismac – Member

Why should any one take any more notice of Fry than any other person?

They shouldn’t. What counts is the message, not who’s saying it- he just has the ability to get the message out, and he’s using it. it’s not important just because he’s saying it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Boycott, yes, if you feel so strongly about it but please Don’t tell other Dear Leaders how to run his/her country.

They have not told your Dear Leader to run your country so why should you? Busy body … as usual. Maggot!

Instead of puffing out hot air to take moral high ground, if other countries are really that sincere and with sympathy for gay, lesbian etc, then why not offer them asylum … hmmmm …? Invite them over to live here?

If I were the Dear Leader I would offer them asylum but are your Dear Leader willing to do so?

On another note … No Dear Leader should bow to another Dear Leader no matter who they are. They should fight each other to the death! Nuke each other if possible and not pussy footing around … Take your pick.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Are you 15?

chewkw
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

Are you 15?

Are you a busy body … taking a moral high ground?

🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

Seems to me like Mr Fry has targetted the wrong country. Russia may not be a leading light in LGBT equality but there are worse offenders out there;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_homosexuality_laws.svg
    Illegal in most of Africa (punishable by imprisonment where ironically you’ll probably find enough homosexuality to fill your boots), and any country with sharia will straight kill yo ass. Ahem.

impose the death penalty for homosexuals. They are Iran, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi-Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates, Yemen and some states in Malaysia

Would anyone kick off at Pakistan hosting the Olympics, or would that be construed as cultural insensitivity/racism?

ahwiles
    Free Member

those ‘other’ countries you mention aren’t hosting the olympics, Russia is.

and, while it strays close to invoking godwin’s law, Fry’s suggestion that there are parallels with 1930’s Germany, is valid.

wrecker
    Free Member

those ‘other’ countries you mention aren’t hosting the olympics, Russia is.

OK. So all countries with poor LGBT rights (not just those with the death penalty) should be banned from hosting the olympics, the world cup etc yes?

Fry’s suggestion that there are parallels with 1930’s Germany, is valid.

Yep. It’s very comparable to wholesale ethnic cleansing.
    Ok, that was a flippant comment and I agree that Russia should be encouraged to improve its LGBT rights, but there are FAR worse out there. Almost entire continents in fact.

ahwiles
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

OK. So all countries with poor LGBT rights (not just those with the death penalty) should be banned from hosting the olympics, the world cup etc yes?

a country’s record on human rights should be taken into account, yes.

what’s the alternative?

there are about 200 countries in the world, only one of them is about to host the olympics.

crankboy
    Free Member

Wrecker you are exactly right no country that acts in this way should be allowed to hold international prestige events that are used by their governments to suggest they have legitimacy. I support your view that if such countries are host nations the event and it’s sponsors should be boycotted.

There is little to chose between Hitler’s treatment of the homosexuals (consign them to forced labour camps later death camps) and Putin’s (arrest them publicly flog them and imprison them publicly applaud as model citizens those who torture them to death )

allthegear
    Free Member

Only thing that matters to the IOC is MONEY.

fine, go for the money – associate the sponsors with the homophobia…

(And I spent a bit of time finding an image that didn’t include anything particularly bad…)

Rachel

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No and yes.

Are you 15?

chewkw
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

No and yes.

Are you 15?

If you are not busy body why do you want judge other nation(s)/people?

Why do you think your moral is higher than others?

Do you think a 15 year old is unable to present his/her viewpoints than you?

Does age matter in this debate?

Are you a celebrity worshiper?

🙄

project
    Free Member

I was totyaly unaware of this, and also that stephen fry didnt like the conservative party.

ALL THOSE ATHLETES AND THEIR MATES ETC GOING OUT THERE SHOULD JUST SAY NO WE ARE NOT GOING.

Even in this country with homosexuality legal since 1968, we still have reports of men and women killed or beaten up for their sexuality, and there are laws against it, sadly ruissia doesnt seem to have any law against uncontrolled thugs doing what they like.

Northwind

wrecker – Member

Seems to me like Mr Fry has targetted the wrong country. Russia may not be a leading light in LGBT equality but there are worse offenders out there;

Yes, and they’re all hosting the olympics too. Ah no wait.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If you are not busy body why do you want judge other nation(s)/people?

Please indicate where I have “judged nations”.

Why do you think your moral is higher than others?

In this case, because I do not agree that there is anything to be gained by torturing, imprisoning and beating people up because of their sexual preferences. First, do no harm.

Do you think a 15 year old is unable to present his/her viewpoints than you?

I don’t understand what this means. Is there a word missing?

Does age matter in this debate?

With age, comes experience.

Are you a celebrity worshiper?

No.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Should the IOC boycott it's own olympics?’ is closed to new replies.