Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Should strava segments reset each year ?
  • orangeboy
    Free Member

Much as above just curious about others views
    Some now old data on strava

Or maybe just list a quickest this year and over all

getonyourbike
    Free Member

The 2nd option.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why? I travel around nice to see some lingering times up there.

It’s all just fun anyway, if your not the fastest it gives you something to aim for.

orangeboy
    Free Member

More that roads and tracks change so not a level playing field

Madfly
    Free Member

so not a level playing field

Since when whas stava anything even remotely resembling this???

scaredypants

Agree – I’ve said this before

My local loop on the road has been ridden by me in pretty much all conditions, so I can’t “beat” any of my bests unless there’s an even stronger wind than when I set them – other than the whole 20mile loop when it’s windless

I reckon its the same for the leaderboards; the ones I’m OK on often have the record set on the same day as my best, which will have been a following gale

richpips
    Free Member

You can see the stats for this month, this year etc.

I can’t see why data should be reset. Surely being able to compare yourself over the years is good.

orangeboy
    Free Member

What made me think about it was I gained a kom for a section of road that is now smooth as it is now fixed rather than rough as buggery. I’m no better than before but am now top

Guess in time that will change lol

orangeboy
    Free Member

Month year etc i must have missed that. Or premium only ?

scaredypants

You can see the stats for this month, this year etc.

Really ? Is it a premium thing ?

Haze

Removing duplicate segments would be better, clean it up a bit?

scaredypants

I can’t see why data should be reset

In the end, the comparison is between differing conditions (following wind, rock solid ground etc) as these vary far more than any individual’s performance (IME anyway)

richpips
    Free Member

Really ? Is it a premium thing ?

Nope, free.

Position – Time – All Time (which is a drop down)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also some of the 3rd party stuff does some great analysis if you want it

orangeboy
    Free Member

Well bugger me , thank you I never knew that was there. Much like I’ve just found the tab for comparing myself with those i follow which is far more use.

Thanks

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Maybe take out times (or delete the profiles) from inactive users if they dont log in for a year or so. The site is fun because of the social side to the ‘competition’, battling it out with people you either already know or whose names you recognise from the local leaderboards. Not much glory to be had in beating a guy who logged a ride once 2 years ago…i want to be beating people that will feel just as crestfallen as i do when i get the strava uh oh email. 😀

brakes
    Free Member

can you imagine the free-for-all on the day after reset day. it would be carnage.

bigrich

try getting fitter?

higthepig
    Free Member

can you imagine the free-for-all on the day after reset day. it would be carnage.

You could call it ‘Strava Day’, families could go out just to watch fat blokes in lycra flog themselves to death, TV crews could be strategicialy placed on the most dangerous segments, either showing the resulting footage on the news or ‘You’ve Been Framed’, hospitals would be pre-warned, I think it would be a great idea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You could call it ‘Strava Day’, families could go out just to watch fat blokes in lycra flog themselves to death,

Then the rest of us could go out a day later and shatter the illusions of the MAMIL’s.

Meanwhile the rest of us using it as training can carry on as normal

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dluble post

trail_rat
    Free Member

The smooth road got me. Rode a 10km dirt track on my fixie cross bike was kom

Got uh oh email

Rode through to see why it had been beaten by so much. – road speeds now As itd been tarred with the most lovely smooth tar

Then rerode it at 36 kph which is beatable as i had a headwind so the day the wind turns i expect an uh oh email

orangeboy
    Free Member

Strava day love that.
    Personaly I don’t take it to seriously its useful for tracking what I’ve been doing
    And if I’ve beaten my mates.
    I was just curious that’s all

daveagiles
    Free Member

It could just be a rolling reset. Only taking into account rides in the last 365 days. With another tab for lifetime awards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just a quick point, I don’t think there is a Strava bot in here….

If you think the idea floats mail them

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Nooo! I’ve only got one KOM and I’m keeping it FOREVER. 😆

RDL-82
    Free Member

Think they need to worry about them being accurate first. There’s one near me where the KOM doesn’t even follow the segment for a significant part.

Multiple segments on the same section needs sorting too, rather than asking if you really want to create it, if its the same the site should just reject it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive created a segment over a segment before …..

the original segment encouraged RLJS

i created the correct segment , reported the one over the traffic lights and they rejected my concerns on safety.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

RDL-82 – Member
    Think they need to worry about them being accurate first. There’s one near me where the KOM doesn’t even follow the segment for a significant part.

Multiple segments on the same section needs sorting too, rather than asking if you really want to create it, if its the same the site should just reject it.

Get over it, it’s a bit of fun not the olympics, the most I have got is a Rapha patch for a climb challenge which in the end is worth more personally than any of my KOM’s as it hurt like hell getting it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its the only issue I have, Nothing to do with winning, but the fact some sections in the woods near me that have been singletrack for years have multiple lines.

adi66
    Free Member

As Richpips said.

Keeping the “all time” records is great, gives you something to aim for…. plus you can turn it off if you like.

I’ve just started to use Strava, and i have to say I’m loving it, I commute to work on my mountain bike all year round, and its been awesome to see that I can beat (KOM) some of the guys that work here and ride road bikes to work, on some of the segments…. it’s made me go, and want to go faster, and I even got my leg over a road bike to see just how fast I could go, and KOM’d a couple of the segments that day 🙂

… If nothing else seeing that I’m the fastest cyclist into / out of work is great “locker room ammo”.lol 😀

annebr
    Free Member

Time to find a new local route if you think you can’t improve (there is always room for improvement).

crazy-legs

I used to think that they should reset but actually having an “all time” leaderboard is great.

What I wish is that they’d sort out multiple segments, some of them just get silly. Do a ride round Richmond Park and have a look at how many segments there are – at least one in each direction per quarter (so roundabout to roundabout), segments within that on the hills, Full Lap and Half Lap segments (several half laps ones depending on where you start from).

Three laps of that and there’s about 400 segments listed on the ride profile!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Get over it, it’s a bit of fun…

Get over what? The fact people are cutting corners and messing the trails up for the sake of ‘winning?’ I couldn’t give a **** about the KOM, but if the people who are not sticking to the segments were not awarded the KOM less might be inclined to deviate.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

All time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get over what? The fact people are cutting corners and messing the trails up for the sake of ‘winning?’ I couldn’t give a **** about the KOM, but if the people who are not sticking to the segments were not awarded the KOM less might be inclined to deviate.

An old one there, corner cutting (poor riding and lack of cornering ability) has been round since I started back in 2003, it’s nothing new. All trails I have been on have been cut and messed up long before people thought about strava.

AlexSimon

A mentioned, you can just click on “This Year”, “This Month” or even “Today” if you just want to find out who was quickest on a group ride.

It’s good, because normally on the list you can only see your best time.

Of course, none of it matters, but I still find it motivates me to try and be smoother downhill and focus on technique in short bursts.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Should strava segments reset each year ?’ is closed to new replies.