Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Should my Wife become a Midwife, or a Teacher?
  • crikey
    Free Member

From either this year or next year, the bursary will not be paid to help those training to become nurses.

So in three years time, we will be importing nurses from India, or Pakistan, or the Phillipines, or somewhere else, again; NHS workforce planning is the hardest job in the world because they never, ever, ever get it right…

totalshell

simple choice really.. thier reading in your hands or thier life and regularly death in your hands..

wolvesdug
    Free Member

My wife is a school teacher and says if she had her time again she would have become a midwife.
    Lunchbreak is 25mins and she has to set up next lesson in that time.Leaves the house at 7.15 a.m and gets back 5.30 pm with another couple of hrs work.
    Holidays are great but she will work through them as well.
    she has ofsted in at the moment so working from 6.00a.m until 1.am ensuring everything is right.
    It is hard work and seems never ending.

bruneep

totalshell – Member
    simple choice really.. thier reading in your hands or thier life and regularly death in your hands..

Hope you’re not a teacher.

restless
    Free Member

Your wife should have a calling towards one or the other, or none.
    I think you only make a good teacher or midwife if your heart is really in it, otherwise you would be one of those doing the job, but doesn’t really want to be there.
    Both professions can have a lasting effect on those they come into contact with, so the career choice shouldn’t just be based on hours of work, or wages.

takisawa2

My Wifes going through the Midwifery application process again this year. Got through to interview at all three chosen uni’s last year but no good. Vastly oversubscribed. 100-1 at first round at some unis. Tell your missus to look at studentmidwife.net (I think its called). My wifes got an interview at Wolverhampton this week. Don’t know what she’s going to do if no good again. Problem is they offer more places than they get approval for then have to defer till next year. Problem is this has happened in successive years so now half the places have already gone.

postierich
    Free Member

Midwifes do not switch off when she was a front line grunt she moaned about the expectant mothers!
    Now she is a Head of Midwifery she moans about the midwifes!!

thorpie
    Free Member

Midwife. My other half is a teacher and she is always stressed with loads of planning to do at home.

althepal

Know lots of nurses and a couple of newly qualified midwives..
    The Nhs is a bit of a nightmare.. Cutting staff all over through natural wastage, unis still pumping out poor students thinking they’ll get a job. Won’t take on new staff unless they have 6 months experience, even on the bank! That’s just up here in Glasgow, not sure about down south.
    Also know a coupla teachers.. Love their job but just seem constantly stressed/under pressure!

chewkw
    Free Member

postierich – Member

Midwifes do not switch off when she was a front line grunt she moaned about the expectant mothers!
    Now she is a Head of Midwifery she moans about the midwifes!!

Yes, but I doubt midwifes bring their “homework” home to mark, while teaching means you need to bring home all the hassle and your personal time is used to mark the work after office hour. The work after hour is not paid extra while during the day you will not have the time to mark because you are teaching the bunch of terrors.

As a head/manager/team leader/supervisor/whatever … you will always moans regardless of the profession you are in because you always think you can “up” the standard. Yeah! put them to hard labour them lazy bunch!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Midwife.

I think it was suggest further up to get a job as a care assistant in a nursing home first. it will give her a taste of the shift work and the yucky side of things

lunge

Mrs Lunge is a teacher (primary) and loves teaching, she is told by OFSTED that she is an outstanding teacher and the kids adore her, but…

The paperwork and behind the scenes stuff is horrible. She spends most evenings on the PC working and spent all of the last half term writing reports. She is constantly having to justify herself to both OFSTED and management/governers, all of which means she spends less time focussing on teacher and preparing lessons.

If she is prepared for this then fine but make sure she knows she will spend a lot of time away from school working.

chewkw
    Free Member

lunge – Member

Mrs Lunge is a teacher (primary) and loves teaching, she is told by OFSTED that she is an outstanding teacher and the kids adore her, but…

The paperwork and behind the scenes stuff is horrible. She spends most evenings on the PC working and spent all of the last half term writing reports. She is constantly having to justify herself to both OFSTED and management/governers, all of which means she spends less time focussing on teacher and preparing lessons.

If she is prepared for this then fine but make sure she knows she will spend a lot of time away from school working.

Yes, the bureaucrats love paperworks to justify their existence and they are usually the ones spoiling it for everyone. They feel that everyone should have advance pen pushing skills in order to live.

Cut & paste the report strategically should satisfy the bureaucrats and use some “corporate” spin as that’s what makes the bureaucrats get their brownie points for putting people to hard labour.

Better still get a programmer to create a software that can write report automatically just by using tick box. Thinking of that … this might be a business opportunity … software that generate corporate spin … hmmm … 💡

lunge

The other thing with teaching, more than any other profession or industry, is that to get into management you just have to be there for a while rather than needing to be a good manager. So you have heads, who are in effect leading multi-million pound oganisation, who are really bad leaders/managers.

Because of this, when times are hard and/or stressful (OFSTED inspections, new curriculum guidelines, etc.) the management lack the skills to manage their staff through it. All of this makes it even harder for the teachers to do the job right.

Garry_Lager

Teaching must be a broad church, though. Teaching something like maths or chemistry a-level at a good school sounds like plain sailing tbh. Teaching English at a troubled school sounds gruelling. So the stress of the job is clearly going to be very dependent on circumstance – it’s not right to view the entire profession as being deluged with admin hassle and really long hours during term.

miketually
    Free Member

Teaching must be a broad church, though. Teaching something like maths or chemistry a-level at a good school sounds like plain sailing tbh. Teaching English at a troubled school sounds gruelling. So the stress of the job is clearly going to be very dependent on circumstance – it’s not right to view the entire profession as being deluged with admin hassle and really long hours during term.

Teaching A levels = lots and lots and lots of marking. Lots. No, more than that.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Should my Wife become a Midwife, or a Teacher?’ is closed to new replies.