Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Should my house have TRVs already installed?
  • legend
    Free Member

I’m beginning to think it should…

Bought a new-build 3 years ago. No TRVs on any radiator, but it does have a 2 zone heating system (upstairs/downstairs). There’s a massive north/south split in the heat, so I was looking at getting TRVs fitted. However, a couple of articles I’ve found make it look like the builder should have had them installed from day 1. Can resident experts know if this is correct or not? House is in Scotland btw.

Cheers

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Don’t know about Scotland but English building regs now require a zoned heating system. Upstairs/Downstairs complies with that. TRV’s on all the radiators instead would also comply and used to be common as it was cheaper.

dooosuk
    Free Member

There’s a massive north/south split in the heat

Can you explain this a bit more?

Is the system balanced correctly or are the one set of radiators cooler than the others?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

Nah it’s more to do with the layout. Living room is north facing and has the thermostat (as you’d expect). Kitchen/dinning area is south facing and has 2 radiators plus the boiler. So when you’re still heating the lounge the kitchen area is bloomin roasting! (in winter there are times where you don’t need any kitchen heating at all but do need the lounge on)

newrobdob
    Free Member

Remember every new build is done to absolutely one rule – profit for the builder. So they’ll comply with building regs and build something someone will buy but thats it. TRV’s would have cost more so you don’t get them, but they’ll probably solve the problem.

footflaps

So when you’re still heating the lounge the kitchen area is bloomin roasting! (in winter there are times where you don’t need any kitchen heating at all but do need the lounge on)

The logical (STW) solution is to fit a log burner in the living room and not use CH 😉

legend
    Free Member

Such a noob error 🙁

legend
    Free Member

So no definitive answer? Unlike STW not to have a rules and regs expert on a subject!

Cougar

Apart from the second post?

legend
    Free Member

The one where he talks about English regs but I’m in Scotland?

Bear
    Free Member

found this for you, taken from Scottish building reg documents.

Control of
    space heating
    a. Each space heating circuit should be provided with:
    i) independent time control and
    either
    ii) a room thermostat or programmable room thermostat located in a
    reference room5
    served by the heating circuit, together with individual
    radiator controls such as thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) on all
    radiators outside the reference rooms;
    or
    iii) individual networked radiator controls in each room on the circuit.

legend
    Free Member

Nice, thanks! Very similar to what I found in a diagram somewhere. Feel a call to the builder coming in the morning

lyrikal
    Free Member

The call to the builder will be a waste of time I would think. The house may be 3 years old but the regulations that apply to it are the regulations in force at the time of application to building control.

I’m taking NI regs here but I believe the Scottish regs to be the same. Prior to 2014 the domestic heating compliance guide was the document used for guidance. In it a two zone system could be used and no need for TRVs in other rooms. In a house under 150m2 TRVs can be used along with a single zone.

The domestic building services compliance guide is the current guidance, each jurisdiction will have introduced it on a different date. Using it all rooms should have TRVs except reference rooms (those with room stats) houses under 150m2 are ok with one zone. Larger houses need two.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

legend – Member
    Nah it’s more to do with the layout. Living room is north facing and has the thermostat (as you’d expect). Kitchen/dinning area is south facing and has 2 radiators plus the boiler. So when you’re still heating the lounge the kitchen area is bloomin roasting! (in winter there are times where you don’t need any kitchen heating at all but do need the lounge on)

I have an upstairs / downstairs temp diff with front north facing and rear partially underground, which makes the whole downstairs a fair bit colder than upstairs. If you have the cash, consider equalising the house in a more advanced way, with something like Evohome. It’s basically a sophisticated add on to the TRV’s, like having a butler constantly going round the house minutely twiddling TRV’s to an exact temp. I’ve got them in just the main rooms. If you do consider adding automation, I was advised to buy branded TRV’s (Drayton, Honeywell, Danfoss) rather than cheapest unbranded Screwfix specials, as the actuation would be smoother. altho there’s no point in buying anything expensive as you’ll be effectively throwing the TRV head away. I got Drayton RT212’s TRV’s for about £11 each incl. lockshields.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Should my house have TRVs already installed?’ is closed to new replies.