Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Should my chain be slipping? New 10 Speed drivetrain on 100mile old front ring?
  • ferribyflyers
    Free Member

Just put a new 10 speed drivetrain on my bike:
    – XT shadowplus mech
    – 10 speed Deore cassette
    – KMC X10 93 chain.
    – SLX Shifter

My front inner ring is 9-10 compatible (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54369) and has been fitted for less than 100miles from my old drivechain.

Should this be slipping? I woud have thought the front ring could last longer than that!

samuri
    Free Member

What does the chain look like when it’s sat on the ring? Is it fully engaged on the ring or does it sit high on the teeth?

ferribyflyers
    Free Member

Fully engaged, the inner ring still has the purple paint on the tip of the teeth too so it really isn’t worn!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it definitely the ring that is slipping?

jkomo

Chain too long?

ferribyflyers
    Free Member

I think the chain is too long, it’s quite loose in the smallest / smallest cogs. Can this cause slippage? I’ll shorten it tomorrow and try again

deadkenny
    Free Member

Could be slipping if the chain is not sized right, or might be it’s skipping, i.e. indexing not quite right. Can feel like slipping sometimes I find. Had that myself the other week, reindexed & fine.

I find this one pretty good guide for setting up the whole lot –

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-set-up-the-gears-on-your-bike-23582/

ferribyflyers
    Free Member

It’s definitely not skipping, I can see the chain slipping when I pedal hard. I’ll lose a few links and try again tomorrow

ferribyflyers
    Free Member

Removed links, no more slipping! Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Should my chain be slipping? New 10 Speed drivetrain on 100mile old front ring?’ is closed to new replies.