• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Should I upgrade to an Iphone 5 or something else
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Currently have an Iphone 4S and just posted a wanted ad for an Iphone 5…. but then it got me thinking, should I be looking at the rest of the market and not just Apple??!

Budget of around £125 – what would you go for?

smurfly13
    Free Member

Ideas from the morning crowd?!

stumpy01

I use Android phones so probably not best placed to comment. But I will anyway…. 🙂

Isn’t the iphone5 3 generations old? Is it worth upgrading to something that is already quite a way behind what is currently available and I keep seeing articles online about iphone7 news, which will push it even further down the queue.
    How well do they run on new software when Apple releases the latest & greatest? Are you forced to upgrade to it, or can you keep running an older version?

Dunno, but from my ‘outsider looking in’ point of view you’d be upgrading from a really old iPhone to an old iPhone.

Problem if you go to Android would be whether you got on with the operating system and how much apple baggage you have that would need to somehow be replicated (paid for apps, cloud stuff etc).
    You could get a brand new Motorola MotoG for about £150, but there’s no point going for latest and greatest, if you don’t get on with it and it’s a pain to swap to.

Not much help, but hopefully this’ll stir some of the Apple users into life….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is the Nexus 5 still available?

robdob
    Free Member

My wife and I have had pretty much every iphone since the 3. I would say if you have a 4S now the jump to a 5 isn’t great. You get a couple of extra features in the OS and obviously the bugget screen but the speed of the phone is similar. If you want to see more of a difference I would go straight to a 5S and you’ll get it a lot more future proofed.

If your 4 is running ok I would probably keep it though. They are nice little phones.

dragon
    Free Member

For that price I’d look at Lumia. But to be honest going from an old top end phone to a budget phone now isn’t going to gain you much if anything (apart from shiny-ness and probably better battery life).

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from a 4S to a 5 so one of the kids could have my 4S.
    4S was absolutely fine and did everything I wanted (not running latest iOS).
    5 has a bigger and nicer screen and is thinner/feels nicer. I paid £150 for a 6 month old phone and I’m glad I did.

unovolo
    Free Member

Why not take a tour round the phone shops and have a go on some of the Display phones, its going to give you a far better idea of whether its worth upgrading to a newer iphone or a different OS completely.

When I was changing phones a few years back this is what I did and ended up with a Windows Phone(Lumia 800), even though a lot of the reviews at the time werent that complimentary.

Stuck with the Windows OS ever since and now on my third one(Lumia 925).
    I use a Iphone 4 for work and hate it, even a basic Lumia 520 that I used to have was speedier, and the iphone is purely used for 1 business app only and the occassionl email, no other apps installed and yet its still dire in comparison.

nsaints
    Free Member

My personal phone is a Iphone 4S and is limping along. The work phone is a Lumia 735
    If I was forced to change today I’d go for a Lumia, it would be an easy choice.

I could never justify the cost of a new iphone versus that of a Lumia.

I don’t run that many apps so the limited apps availability for a windows phone would not enter the equation

climbingkev
    Free Member

iOS is the most God awful thing ever. Actually it was holding hands with iTunes as it crossed the finish line. Hardware is nice, but no longer the best out there.

Send from the wifes iPad, because the wee man is playing with my phone.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Nexus 5 (awesome) FWIW

jambalaya
    Free Member

4S is really starting to show it’s age, 5 or 5S will be a notable upgrade. By jumping to a 5 you are only going forward one model although the tech upgrade was quite notable. If you could source a 5S I would try and do that. I would be wary of paying too much as anything as old as a 5 will really need a new battery. Also used phone prices will vary a bit based on memory size. The gf has a 16gb 5 and it’s only just enough these days with lots of apps. It does run iOS8 ok but battery is tired.

FWIW I still use my 4S from time to time (when abroad it’s my spare phone). The jump to the 6 was material vs 4S/5/5S.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Cheers all, tempted by the iphone because of already owned apps plus wife has one making imessages easy.

The Moto G on android looks like a bargain though so may be worth a play. Not keen on windows phones, but maybe I shouldne more broad minded !!

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d pay a little extra for a 5s perfect phone for me. I sold my iphone 6 and went back to a 5s as I like to use it one handed. It’s no slower than a 6 but noticeably quicker than a 5.

annebr
    Free Member

IMO definitely go 5S over a 5 if you stay with the iPhone.

brassneck

climbingkev – Member
    iOS is the most God awful thing ever. Actually it was holding hands with iTunes as it crossed the finish line. Hardware is nice, but no longer the best out there.

Send from the wifes iPad, because the wee man is playing with my phone.

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    climbingkev – Member
    Nexus 5 (awesome) FWIW

And the counter view – I transferred to a Nexus 5 for a year trial for BYOD at work. It did everything it needed to do, but was way less slick than my iphone 5 and crashed completely several times over the year (most likely the Divide container app I was trialling) which I hadn’t seen on iOS. If you have any investment in Apple stuff (including your time) you might find it difficult unless you really want a change.

In short when my contract came up for renewal I bit their hand off to go to a 6. Can’t see me going back either.

Have a 5 as my work phone and it is a decent phone. Might try and find a bit more for a 5c with 16Gb plus though if I was buying.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I went from an iphone 4S to HTC M8 then to an iphone 6. Only went to the iphone 6 again due to certain apps not been available on Android. Going to any new phone you will notice how sluggish the 4s is. If you are not tied to any operating system then I would pick the HTC M8 over anything else. A fantastic phone in everyway.

GrahamS

iOS is the most God awful thing ever.

I think you might be forgetting what “smart” phone OSes looked like pre-iOS?

😀

OP as others have said it probably depends what else you have invested in the Apple “eco-system” (apps, other devices, add-ons, chargers etc etc).

I have a 4S and find it works pretty much perfectly for me (on latest iOS). Doesn’t feel sluggish to me (though I do have most of the fancy effects turned off).

There are plenty of droid phones that appeal to me, particularly the ones that are waterproof etc, but when it comes time for me to upgrade chances are I’ll take the path of least resistance and stick with iPhone.

Not because it is “better”, because it isn’t, but just because it will be easier 😀

iolo
    Free Member

OP, have you paid for apps on your current phone?
    Have you bought music through itunes?
    If yes, stick with an iPhone.
    I must admit I’m an ios fan and really din’t get on with my S4 so went back to iphone.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Should I upgrade to an Iphone 5 or something else’ is closed to new replies.