Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Should I try motor biking?
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Not the twisted ball sack one I hope!!!!

shifter
    Free Member

No the fractured neck of femur one:
    This one

🙂

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve thought about it purely because I’d love to do a long tour around the continent/Balkans/Scandinavia. The only thing stopping me is that I can’t afford a bike

Of course there is danger involved, but it’s there when you cross the road

I find it a bit strange that lots of people are telling you not to because it’s so dangerous, but they’ll happily cycle on the same roads..

You should try it yourself, book a lesson, then see if you have a burning desire to take it further

My dad has ridden motorbikes since being 14,and my brother since he was about 17. I’ve ridden off road, and when I was younger we used to go out around the farm tracks near our house. I did hire a scooter in France and it was a bit scary, but also exhilarating and such a feeling of freedom

Woody
    Free Member

Love my motorbikes and have been riding off and on since I was 16 ie. a long time!

Sold my last one 9 months ago and still miss it. Luckily, I have a mate who is happy to let me take his tweaked GSXR1000 out occasionally to scratch the itch and it’s fantastic.

As has been said above, life is too short to constantly worry about what ‘might’ happen otherwise we would never go past the front door. Get some proper training, build your confidence slowly and ride defensively. There is nothing quite like it 😉

rone

I wouldn’t warn you off, it’s like anything get good at it be aware, don’t go out on fast club rides etc. In fact I rode mainly touring with gf on back for a few years. It was great! Especially going to Scotland.

But you have to remember the downsides which for me were; taking ages to get dressed up, being hot and cold at the wrong times, buffeting from the wind, having to stop for petrol, crap roads and journeys like the run to France on the UK side. All the things that don’t bother you in a car really annoy you on a bike.

That said when it’s good , it’s very good!

wooobob

I did my cbt in 2012, rode around on a little CG125 for a couple of months, then took the full test. Upgraded to a CBF500 a year or so later. I did it to get out of the train journey into London from Surrey, and have ridden almost every day since. I love it.

I’ve had one off (lost the front braking on a corner – lesson learned there) and occasional moments of mild panic when it looks like someone is about to do something stupid, but keeping calm and relaxed and accepting that there are good reasons not to push on all the time helps to keep things safe.

It’s incredibly enjoyable. As others have said, keep warm and comfy, and ride defensively, and it’s the best way to get around.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve thought about it purely because I’d love to do a long tour around the continent/Balkans/Scandinavia. The only thing stopping me is that I can’t afford a bike

Anything will do for touring, even a Honda Cub
    You just have to adjust your timetable to suit, or -better still- don’t have a timetable.

grim168
    Free Member

Ridden since I was 17. (now 46). If I had to choose between my bike and my car the bike would win every time. It definetely makes you a better car driver and off road riding makes you a better road motorcyclist. Decent kit is a must so factor that in. I’ve had a few spills over the years and lost a mate many years ago. If it’s for you you’ll know. Advanced training is very worthwhile cause you’ll gain a lot of experience in a shorter time. I like to go fast sometimes and I can’t afford a quick car 😈

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

It’s surprising what motorcycling is less dangerous than…

https://rideapart.com/articles/things-more-dangerous-than-riding-a-motorcycle

It’s persuaded me anyway. Triumph, here I come :demon_face:

sangobegger
    Free Member

Fair bit of negativity floating about, and some of it perhaps for good reason. However, riding a bicycle on the road is a whole lot more dangerous because of the speed differential among other things. I’ve had multiple near death experiences cycling on the road, and in consequence I hate it, – and that’s riding in the Highlands. Maybe we just have really shite drivers up here.
    I’ve busted at least 12 bones on the MTB, and most of you wil have experienced similar levels of carnage.
    As for my motorbike, I’ve been riding for nearly 30 years, I have had my 750 Suzi for 12 years almost from new, and it costs less to run than my mountain bikes.
    Now I could prattle on about how amazing motorcycling is, but frankly if you haven’t got the idea from all the other positive posters, then I won’t change your mind. Just don’t get to 60 years of age and go, ” I wish”. For me anyone can be negative, and your experiences will shape your attitude to riding, – do it, don’t do it, – it’s up to you.

However if you ride a bike from Ullapool to Durness on a summers day with no traffic ( that’ll be every day then), you would sell everything to keep doing it.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I did the DAS a few years back and had no previous interest or any experience. Got the license 4 days later and worked my way up over 2 years to a big bike from a scooter.

Much like riding a bike you can get into problems fairly quickly. Hard to say whether it’ll be sutiable long term but where is the harm in trying it out. I did twice the mileage on the push bike that the motorbike last year 🙂 but the motorbike brings a smile to my face everytime I go out and for that its worth the parking space in the garage.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve busted at least 12 bones on the MTB, and most of you wil have experienced similar levels of carnage

No we won’t!! You sound like a liability!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Several friends have come to bikes later in life and bought stupidly big and/or powerful bikes. They’re all still alive. I don’t think any of them have even come of, or been banned. Much to my amazement.

Go for it.

jota180
    Free Member

A mate of mine did his test at 61, that was 5 years ago, he now rides a ZZR1300 😀

zeffir
    Free Member

Loved my bikes, rode for 20 years with no accidents by riding defensively and not pushing things too far. At 27 with no kids I never gave it a second thought but years down the line and as the sole earner in the house with young children the cbr was sold last year. When they’re self sufficient I will quite likely get another.

zippykona

More of my motor biking friends have died in car crashes than on their bikes.
    To be fair it’s cars 1 ,bikes nil.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’m 53 & had a moped to get to work when I was 16.I had bicycles as a kid but no interest in motorcycles.That moped changed everything,got a 125 on my 17th birthday & passed my test 6 months later.Motorcycles & the friends I made through them have been a massive part of my life ever since & I’m so glad I got into biking.
    That said I would never encourage anyone else to take up motorcycles, it’s a dangerous hobby with a steep learning curve,I’ve hit the deck over a dozen times & been knocked off once.However as long as your aware of the dangers it’s an acceptable risk & one hell of a buzz!
    Regarding the inevitable ‘I know someone who got killed on a bike’comments,two of my mates were killed on bikes,pilot error both times I also knew two people who were killed in cars but no one ever said to me ‘don’t drive a car they’re dangerous’..

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yes, you should do it.

If you don’t like it, at least you’ve given it a try and you know for sure instead of second guessing yourself.

I rode motorbikes for ages, they were great fun. Decided to go all sensible now and have an MX5 instead….

5thElefant
    Free Member

More of my motor biking friends have died in car crashes than on their bikes.

Back when everyone started on bikes only one lad I knew died. Another in a car.

A generation later my lad’s mates all had cars. I lost count how many died. At least four.

irc

Regarding the inevitable ‘I know someone who got killed on a bike’comments,two of my mates were killed on bikes,pilot error both times I also knew two people who were killed in cars but no one ever said to me ‘don’t drive a car they’re dangerous

Cars 27 deaths or serious injuries per billion miles. Motorbikes 1659 deaths or serious injuries per billion miles. Why would anyone say bikes are dangerous?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-15975564

biglee1

Some corking tales of death and serious injury on here 😀
    You’ll always get folk wheeling out a list of names who’ve been best mates and were killed riding motorbikes, never if you want to get a car tho which I always find strange
    Ignore them all and have a go 🙂 I love my bike and it’s given me many smiles per mile and taken me all over the Alps and various countries around europe in perfect safety. Just learn how to ride it properly, countersteering to get you around bends etc. I did a course with http://www.i2imca.com/ very good even if you’ve been riding for years

biglee1

They also learn you how to brake in a corner as well. It was great, I did it in the wet with the gf on the back 😀

madjak
    Free Member

I’ve been riding for 16 years, have ridden road bikes, raced off road in various disciplines. Additionally have been MTBing for similar amount of time.

Have done the commute on the MTB for years and also years on a motorcycle commuting, I don’t know the stats but I always feel much safer on a motorcycle on the road than a pedal cycle.

As for injuries, there is not much between riding off road on a MTB (trail riding) and motorcycle off road, for me anyway.

I love riding 2 wheels and would not get rid of my motorcycle or MTB, taking time to learn and be safe is crucial though. Just like the guys who cycle commute safely despite all the idiots on the road, you can learn the motorcycle road craft to reduce the risks you are exposed to.

One last aside is that riding a dirt bike will increase your skills and confidence in a way that’s almost impossible to do on the road in a much safer and controlled way, so when you need those control skills on the road you have them. There are places you can go to have a days try out as a total novice.

I’m off to finish changing the shock on my old 750 Honda now 🙂

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Cars are just transport

Cars move your Body

Motorbikes move your Soul !

Been riding motorbikes over 30 years now, its mainly just for the commute nowadays. but it still gives that extra “something “
    Planning on more touring when retired, the highlands of Scotland and the High Alpine passes are on the bucket list.

Many times I have come home after driving from work in the Car and I cannot recall a simple thing about the journey…….that never happens with a Motorcycle, where I can relive almost all the time and miles which I have just covered. The experience is just that much better and your senses are heightned

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I passed my test when I was about 27. Now 44. In that time I’ve done roughly 150,000 miles on motorbikes.
    Last year I did 12,500 miles commuting (rush hour London bound traffic) on one. It saves me around an hour a day compared to a car and the total running costs are less than just the fuel in the car.
    An hour a day is roughly 240 hours or10 days a year.
    For that alone it’s worth it.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Regarding injuries during my recovery I thought about nothing but when I could get back on the thing. During my recovery I was so bored I dragged my bike pants on over my knee brace and went for a short ride.

Someone said it above that motorbikes move the soul. They certainly do, I don’t think I could ever be without one.

weeksy

I’m a regular on many motorbike forums, I’ve known 6 people from them die, 2 on motorbikes and 4 non motorbike. Considering how many bikers I know, that’s not bad.

BadlyWiredDog

chojin – Member
    Ignore the negativity here, motorbiking is awesome!

I rode motorbikes, fast ones, for over 20 years and eventually stopped not because bikes aren’t brilliant, they are, but my personal decision was that the level of risk outweighed the enjoyment I got from riding.

I know it’s very STW to be black and white, but my take is somewhere in the middle: yes, riding motorbikes is great, really good fun, the closest thing you can get to flying without actually taking off, but you also need to understand that you are vulnerable on a motorcycle and ride accordingly.

You also need to accept that there’s a small chance that something random can happen regardless of how good a rider you are, a car coming round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road for example and if that happens, there’s a good chance you’ll get hurt.

Ironically, being aware of the risks will help keep you alive, it’s what controlled fear is for. Same as with climbing or mountain biking.

Anyway, I guess what I’m saying is that if you do go for it, just be realistic about the level of risk. It’s not certain death, but equally it’s not particularly safe either, it’s somewhere in the middle and by riding well you can reduce the risk to an acceptable level, but there’s always the risk that something outside your control can happen. You can also improve the odds massively by not riding like an idiot…

daveh
    Free Member

Do the direct access, get your licence then make the decision – its a fun way to spend a weeks holiday, the test will only get harder to get in future, and it’s the only way you’ll get to see what its like riding a big bike on the road (and I include a twin pot, 500cc knacker in this as its still a world away from the 125cc experience).

waihiboy
    Free Member

i know i’ll get hissed at by the hardcore bikers 😉

but this is my 5p worth… about 5 years ago i sold the car and got a motorbike for 18 months to save money before the little one came along.

(after talking to my brother who is a long term biker)

i did my CBT and bought a Honda Varadero 125, all the gear.

and if im being honest i hated every minute of it and will never forget the day i got shot of it!

i was totally invisible to 90% of other motorists, riding in the rain was a nightmare.

luckily i never had a crash but i came close on many occasions due to idiots on the road, oh and a wet man hole cover which was my fault.

the only advice i would give is dont rely on the CBT alone it’s b*lox, in my eyes it does not give you anywhere enough training to hit the road and i would suggest doing the full monty access course then decide as others have said.

i think i just wasnt cut out to be a biker as i think you do need a bigger set of b*lls which if im honest i didnt have!

i still cringe when im in the car and see a 125 with L plates on flying along..

best of luck whatever you decide!

curvature
    Free Member

I would rather ride a motorbike on the road than a bicycle!

For me the reason I sold my Ducati was that I got more thrills mountain biking.

As others have said give it a try. I still like motorbikes but recognise that I gave it up at the right time.

Now a nice RD350LC might tempt me back!

wiganer
    Free Member

Swing a leg over one and you’ll die. Immediately. Straight to hell. Puff of smoke.

Or, you could have your wits about you and avoid dickheads (which are easily spotted and avoided). Ride within your limits and you’ll be fine. The only time I’ve been decked (twice in 21 years) is in icy conditions when I was 16 with not a car in sight, and when I was spanking it down a country road, hit a 90 degree bend too fast and did a roly poly in a farmer’s field, I was 22 and again not a car in sight. Lesson learnt, many years later I’m still here. Gonna get me a new bmw s1000rr this year.

singlesman
    Free Member

Is there really the space to have much fun on a bike in this country anymore?
    A group of friends and myself decided it was too congested 20 years ago and all went racing, it must be an awful lot worse now.
    Off road sounds like a good idea, or moving to France!

Andy-R

hora – Member
    Off road? Yes

On road **** right off.

But if you never ride on the the road then you’d be limited to circuit racing, motocross or closed course (totally on private land) trials surely?
    Most enduros and trials will include liason sections on public roads.

I was riding on the roads at 16 but never owned a “road” bike – only trials and enduro bikes (including road legalised MX bikes). In fact, I passed my test on a trials bike.
    In spite of being on the Isle of Man the whole road thing never interested me – although I did used to enjoy ragging trials bikes round on the road during runaround trials. 😉

mudmuncher

Had a few bikes, the last being a R1100GS which is an earlier version of the one they used in “long way round”. Had several amazing holidays, riding all round France, Italy and Spain with the misses on the back not knowing where I was going to end up each night.

Much preferred riding on the continent, less traffic, better weather and people more aware of bikers. When kid no.1 came along realised the long trips abroad would end and also my risk threshold changed so I sold it. Still get that longing on a warm sunny day.

If you do get one make sure you get over to France. Many of the A/B roads run parallel to the motorways so are basically deserted.

Northwind

singlesman – Member

Is there really the space to have much fun on a bike in this country anymore?

Absolutely. Obviously how much there is depends a lot on where you are though.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Should I try motor biking?’ is closed to new replies.