Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Should I try a Jones, or…? (Indecisive 29 / Plus-curious content)
  • Ben_H

I’ve been riding for 23 years. I’ve had rigid, hardtail and full sus bikes in that time – but the formula I’ve settled on in the last 10 years is a 130mm-forked 26/27.5 hardtail with a rigid fork in winter.

There’s nothing wrong with the formula, but – as a friend said to me recently – perhaps I should try something different.

I did have a brief dalliance with a Stooge back in 2014, although found it a bit harsh up front and so returned to a Cotic Soul 275 after 8 months. The Stooge was set up with 29er wheels and 2.4 tyres.

I mainly ride local, man-made trails – with occasional excursions to do “real” mountains and bigger trail centres. But, on the whole, my riding isn’t very rad and I actually quite like climbing.

I’ve been wondering a lot recently about 29 / 650 Plus / 29er bikes again, with trail rather than touring emphasis. Jones frames have caught my eye, although I’m also interested in the forthcoming fatter-tyred Stooges.

I know that the answer is to get out and try things, but these sorts of bikes are a bit niche and the stockists are a day’s outing away. Has anyone got any pics or stories to help me?

Thanks 🙂

ton

you in sunny leeds Ben?

Ben_H

Bristol, ton.

ton

you could have took mine for a ride.

Ben_H

Appreciated, ton.

NormalMan

List of dealers with test bikes here:

http://www.yesweareontheweb.com/jones/

Just in case you have missed any that might be easier to visit.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yes!

My Spaceframe has been my only bike for the last 8 years. 🙂

jimdubleyou

I really like the look of the Plus – but I can’t justify spending the £3.5-4k on one just yet.

Have been looking at the cheaper options – maybe a Ramin Plus or a Longitude.

flashes
    Free Member

I’m in Bristol and have a 29+ and Fatbike, both small, both SS if you fancy a play…….

Cheezpleez

A 29+ tyre makes quite a difference on a Stooge. Even so, I’m surprised you found it harsh up front on 2.4 rubber comapred to a Soul with a rigid fork (or have I misunderstood?). If you did, then I don’t think a Jones is going to be much less harsh unless you go full-fat on the front.

gil_

Having run Jones…s for a good number of years now the real difference is down to the truss fork..
    I had to try a Stooge when they appeared, just as a comparison and to re-convince myself and the big difference in both comfort and “steerability” is down to the truss.
    At the end of the day a steel diamond frame is a steel diamond frame, however a unicrown fork against a truss is the decider for me every time
    Currently run a steel Diamond with Steel truss, 3″ front tire, between 650b+ and 29″+ and after 30 years of MTB riding all over the world I’ve never found anything close

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ having owned both myself, gil’s nailed it.

The ‘take-away for me is the truss fork – makes a huge difference

john_l
    Free Member

Ti truss is even betterer 🙂

gil_

Having both a Ti Truss and Steel Truss, I hate to say it but beyond physical weight, to me, there is very little difference in the ride quality…am I allowed to say that 😳

Northwind

I think it’s really important that a plus bike converts to 29- not half-assed with bad BB height or whatever, you want it to be able to do both jobs. That way if you hate Plus, like I did, you’re not ****ed. At worst it gives you a choice and choice is good.

Ben_H

Cheezpleez – Member
    …I’m surprised you found it harsh up front on 2.4 rubber comapred to a Soul with a rigid fork (or have I misunderstood?).

I currently ride the Soul with a squishy fork in warmer / drier months: not clear enough in my original post!

ton

Having both a Ti Truss and Steel Truss, I hate to say it but beyond physical weight, to me, there is very little difference in the ride quality…am I allowed to say that

there goes my order for a Ti plus build……… 🙁

postierich
    Free Member

I,m liking my Stooge semi phat I,m used to riding rigid but this is well comfy with the (front)Boost 27.5 plus tyres.In the South Lakes if you want too try 🙂 You can get a 29 in the front if you wish
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/QxUefN]DSCF4870[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Gotama
    Free Member

Based on my experience of the truss and given it is designed to be stiff I’m not sure I would expect a difference in feel between the steel and Ti, just a noticeable difference in weight. The Ti plus frame on the other hand I would expect to have that Ti feel.

Ton – if you are going Ti frame and forks then I’d be very interested in your steel frame.

gil_

Talking to Jeff, the gauge of the steel tubes were chosen to replicate the ride characteristics of the Ti version and in my eye’s they do this very well.
    I also have a Ti Diamond frame and again beyond the physical weight, I can feel only tiny differences in the ride, maybe I’ve just become numb to it all…
    The time I nice the biggest difference is when descending at slow speed, under heavy braking, the truss tracks so well, the unicrown, not so..

bonesetter
    Free Member

Good feedback gil, thanks

*puts wallet back in pocket*

‘course, the truss is meant to be stiff fore/aft, but not vertically

jameso

Agreed about truss ti vs steel. Designed to a stiffness level and only the weight varies. The ti spaceframe is comfier than the steel diamond but I like the bomber feel of the steel bike just as much and have ridden it far enough to say I think I’m comfy on it anyway.

OP, yes, ride one if only for the reference point. I think it’s not just a great fork but a really wide ranging bike with the most refined balance in the geometry and ride feel I’ve ever ridden. Proof that you really don’t need slammed stays for a bike to have a very playful ride, it’s more about overall layout.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Should I try a Jones, or…? (Indecisive 29 / Plus-curious content)’ is closed to new replies.