Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Should I take up Boxing?
  • hora
    Free Member

Sat in the gym Sauna last night and I was talking to a group of Manc’s. They all box at amateur level and they all agreed and urged me to take up boxing.

I did mention that if they wanted to kick the **** out of me they could just as well do it here rather than wait to get me in a ring (they laughed I was alittle nervous still!).

Girlfriend thinks its a bad idea, saying head taking a knocking etc etc. They reckon its good for fitness and fun etc.

What do the STW massif reckon?

scaredypants

😯

jedi

i used to box.
    got back into it when i get married and had last bout about 10yrs ago
    its fun

geoffj

Hell yeah!

Jamie
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

Jedi, fun? I said if your taking a pasting can you throw in the towel? Aye, at the end of you round you just stay sat in your corner….theres me thinking err no I mean halfway into the first round 🙄

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yeah i’d do it, just do the training if you dont want to actually fight. bag work / weights etc – always appeals to me

jedi

u wont spar straight away.
    learn the skills first then controlled sprring is proper fun.
    when/if you have a bout its the loneliest place in the world if you tire!

johni
    Free Member

If it is for fitness, I used to do a boxing class with an ex-Royal Marines PT instructor. After 4 weeks of being pushed to nearly vomitting, I started to really improve my fitness. Most of it was “competitive” circuit training (trying to beat others), pad/bag work, skipping and only minimal sparring, but to be honest by the time we got to sparring we could hardly keep our arms up! With a head guard on, it was pretty safe although one or two friendly sparring matches did have a few “red mist” incidents :o)

Ed2001
    Free Member

I used to in my teens, as people have said its very good way to excercise. It also good for teaching youngsters about self discipline, confidence and control. Have a go if you dont like it stop going. Personnally I think its a very underrated sport.

hora
    Free Member

Ok. Will do. TBH, **** all use in a fight. After all real fighters target balls and throat! 🙄

uplink
    Free Member

Hora’s next post ……….

Sat in the gym Sauna last night and I was talking to a group of Manc’s. They all bend over at amateur level and they all agreed and urged me to take up prostitution.
    I did mention that if they wanted to **** the **** out of me they could just as well do it here rather than wait to get me in a ring (they laughed I was alittle nervous still!).
    Girlfriend thinks its a bad idea, saying a*** taking a knocking etc etc. They reckon its good for fitness and fun etc.
    What do the STW massif reckon?

oldgit
    Free Member

Like my name suggests I’m a bit old school about boxing and have mixed feelings about gyms full of men and women just there for a bit of rough and to get fit.
    Used to box for Watling Boys club (know em Jedi?) and a short stint with the Infantry, though a nose/trade waste bin interface put an end to all that.

oldgit
    Free Member

Oh find something nicer to do Hora. Used to find boxers unsettling, could never tell if they wanted botty love or to kick my head in.
    Thai boxing might be better, my daughter trains and fights though she might stop in case she gets a facial injury that’ll effect her looks, though that should’nt effect you!

DezB
    Free Member

Just do the training to learn the skills and get your fitness up. Jump into a ring against someone else when/if you feel ready for it.
    The training is great, because you never stop learning (and getting fitter)

hora
    Free Member

oldgit Ive done a combination of Korean and Japanese martial arts for over 9yrs when I was younger. At time (sporadically) I did look into Thai boxing but some of the characters seemed to have a real chip/som prize wierdos. So I find them unsettling!

binners

Well…. lets be honest…. it won’t be the first time you’ll have woken up in the morning feeling like you’ve been battered round the ring

hora
    Free Member

DezB that sounds spot on and (exactly what I’d do/need). Thank you guys. If these fighter spoil my Romanesque-face I’ll blame ya

jam-bo

contact sparring is great fun. came home from my MMA class on wednesday feeling like i’d been run over.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

But Hora, you might have a glass chin?

Binners- no need for that! 😯

hora
    Free Member

binners I’ll mark that 8/10. Up for a pint after work? (I’ll be finished at the gym by 5ish so can be back down in the Qtr)

hora
    Free Member

Not sure- remember once we were sparring and a new builder lad lost his rag and belted me clean on the chin- I was out on my feet shaking my head repeatdly and seeing stars but I didnt go down (mind if he had followed it up I would have been down).

snowslave

You’re better off learning to run than fight mate!

Why not do something like Tae Kwon Do or the like. There’s less of a chance of getting into the company of ruffians….

Wookster

HAve to admit getting into a Enclosed are a with a bloke who’s only aim is to hit me so hard in the head I fain….never seems a good idea…!!! Now getting on a bike and going fast through trees when I might fall off and hit one…..fab idea………..;)

hora
    Free Member

I’ll give boxing a try- theres a gym in Sale which is possibly more Gentrified. Binners fancy it? Come on!

crispybacon
    Free Member

you might want to start by fighting your way out of a wet one of these before coming up against someone who hits back ….

binners

Hora. I’m up for a few scoops later fella. I used to box mate. At a gym in Moss-side. There were 15 year olds there who’d put you on your arse in less than a second. Proper scary!

ourmaninthenorth

I did a bit as a kid, but other stuff sort of took over.

I’ve got dodgy eyesight in one eye now (another sports injury), so I wouldn’t want to risk any damage to the remaining good one.

The training, if done properly, is damned hard. It might make you talk less sh*te… 😉

hora
    Free Member

Ourmanupnorth, only sowing up my mouth and stapling my fingers together would achieve that 😉

4.30 binners?

ourmaninthenorth

hora – I’ll see what we can arrange…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Should I take up Boxing?’ is closed to new replies.