Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Should I take Lapierre bike weights with a pinch of salt?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

They seem to be lighter than other bikes of similar ability, or am I imagining it? Are they made of cheese?

Northwind

You should take all bike part weights with several pinches of salt tbh.

chakaping
    Free Member

Which bike are you looking at? Have owned a couple of ’em.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Zesty 514 or possibly 714 carbon

chakaping
    Free Member

They’re both full carbon as I’m sure you know.

Only picked one up in a shop but it did feel about 26lbs, XC weight.

Way lighter than a Five anyway!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Way lighter than a Five anyway!

This is the conclusion I’m coming to. I do like the “timeless” look of the Five, but can’t ignore the fact that the Zesty’s should scamper up the hills more easily and since that’s what I’ll be doing half the time, it can’t be ignored 🙂

I just wish I could find somewhere to demo one…

rewski
    Free Member

Zesty’s are pretty light for a 140 trail bike, I have a 2010 514 XL so not full carbon like the 2012s, still pretty like and quick up hills though, I assume weights are done on the small frame?

nwgiles

my 2013 514 zesty weight was spot on till i added a stealth and pedals.

dan45a
    Free Member

My 714 carbon was about 26lb with upgraded wheels. They are very light for a 140mm bike.

I got a yeti asr5c now which is about the same weight but with a reverb fitted.

Zestys are great, I had 2 and loved them. Carbon one feels a lot lighter/quieter/faster than the alloy IMO but the cost reflects that.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

dan45a, why did you replace the Zesty with the asr?

dan45a
    Free Member

Stilltortise, I’d had 2 zestys and had the 714 for 2 years, nothing wrong with them, just got itchy feet. And went for an asr5c 127mm rear with a 140mm fork which give a 67 deg HA.

Do I regret it……not at all the yeti is quicker just about everywhere for my type of trail and enduro riding. Slacker and lower. Just not as plush as the zesty so if you want something more comfortable the zesty is the way to go. I have an alpine 160 also so that covered me for uplift and alps etc..

Both awesome bikes in their own right.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had an alloy Zesty 2011 that I got down to 27lb ish. The carbon 514 I have now is sub 26lbs with a similar build except for a single ring up and chain device up front.

From what I remember when I stripped the alloy Zesty down, the frame weight was between 7 and 8lb including headset cups and bb. About going rate for an alloy 140mm bike?

maxtorque

~11.75kg, with reverb, 150mm 32’s, ST wheelset /NN’s, 203mm front rotor, XT cranks, XTR everything else:

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Maxtorque – how do you find it with 150 forks on the front? I’ve got a Fox 140 on the front of mine and didn’t want it to get too wandery.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The Yeti sounds ace but may be the bike for the ride ability/fitness I’d like to have rather than the ability and fitness I actually have 😆

rewski
    Free Member

Max torque – lovely bike, decals so much better than the 2010, assume wife and kids were out? No single guy or student can eat that much cereal 😉

dan45a
    Free Member

Max torque, that is a beaut! Perfect build….

How do you find the crossmax st’s.

br
    Free Member

My 714 carbon was about 26lb with upgraded wheels.

and this is why you should ignore any weight quoted without a picture…, ‘about’ 🙄

A decent LBS should have a set of (Park) scales, so weigh ’em.

dan45a
    Free Member

Ok it was 26.1something…lbs

That was weighed at my LBS and on park scales before transferring build to yeti frame.

Sorry didn’t get the picture. Will remember for next time. 😉

maxtorque

RE 150 fork: This is easily the best upgrade i have done. Replacing the 140 RL’s with 150 RLC’s! Finally been able to find a happy medium between air pressure (sag/ using all the travel) and low speed compression (not squidging away under braking etc) So much more confidence in the front end, able to run lower pressure and get a smooth ride, but have a bike that can handle hard braking, especially on the way down hill, and still feel linear / controlled. Can’t say i notice any difference in climbing or wandering. I run a bit more sag now, so the angles probably aren’t much different to the 140 in reality. I was never happy with the original front fork, felt it let the side down somewhat, now, well, i don’t even notice it working (like the rear suspension has always been) so it’s a massive improvement. Well recommended. ( I did um-and-ah about going to a 34mm fork, if i had gone new (rather than the s/h fork i bought) i probably would have gone bigger at the expense of a little extra weight.

RE ST’s: Too early to tell really, only about 5 rides old. So far, i can feel the extra stiffness, and the freewheel is soo much more positive than the factory fit Easton XC70 one.

Other obviously good mods have been adding a rear mech with clutch and modifiying the wheelset to take a big diameter rear QR / axle

somafunk

We’ve built carbon 714 140mm zesty’s down to 24lbs for lighter riders, change of wheels, tyres, finishing kit and you can knock a surprising amount of weight off the already light standard factory builds.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Should I take Lapierre bike weights with a pinch of salt?’ is closed to new replies.