Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Should I switch to road pedals?
  • roger_mellie

Being relatively new to road biking, I’ve been using ‘spare’ MTB spd pedals & shoes that were lying around, whilst I decided whether roadie-ing was for me.
    Currently getting a hot spot on one foot, which may be down to worn cleats (they are quite worn), the budget shoes themselves or play in the pedals (there is a bit of play).
    So, I can buy some new cleats and see if that’s it; if its not, service/ replace the pedals; or take the opportunity to wholesale replace pedals and shoes with road-specific ones now, if theres a good chance that I’d notice a difference.
    Will I?
    Have always used Time pedals for my knees.
    Thanks in advance!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Interesting. I also use Time pedals on all my MTBs (When not flats!) and also on my gnarmac bike. On longer rides, especially road biased, I used to feel some hot spot, but then switched to a much stiffer shoe (Spesh S-Sworks XC) and took some time on the rollers to re-assess my position. Problems gone!

If it’s for pure road use, then yes, road pedals are better. If you need to walk in your shoes, and or use your bike on gravel/light off road, then stiffer shoes and cleat position would help.

roger_mellie

Thanks for that. I’ll try new, stiffer shoes, new cleats and spend some time on the turbo thinking about me feet 😉
    Ta.

iainc

I have used Time pedals on mtb for many years due to knee problems. On the good road bike I have Time Xpresso pedals and cleats. Same feel and float, very comfy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good shoes are the key. I’ve recently gone back to MTB pedals from road pedals. I can’t say there’s really much difference, except a bit more/better float on the MTB pedals and I’ve managed to pull my feet out a few times whilst pedalling. I prefer the MTB ones TBH.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Should I switch to road pedals?’ is closed to new replies.