Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Should I swap RP23 for Coil?
  • johnikgriff
    Free Member

Just changed to an new Titus El Guapo. Very nice, love it, but… Not really getting on with the RP23. Setting the PSI so the sag it correct and its nice and plush I’m blowing through the mid travel (a common fault I hear). If I up the PSI to stop it, its begining to feel hardtail. I think my 14 odd stone doesn’t help (and no the answer is not to lose weight).

So my options are (having had a nice chat with Tim Flukes) pretty well as you exspect.

1. Get the RP23 pushed. Will feel a lot better I’m told and cost £120 or there about
    2. Swap it out for a pushed DH5 coil (TF dont do a pushed Van R long enough). costing £390 less the value of my 5 ride old RP23 (anyone know what a 215 x 64 HV RP23 is worth?).

Not really bothered about the wieght and I had a DHX5 coil on my last bike (Ellsworth Moment) and loved it. Not ridden a Pushed shox so know idea what it will be like.

Anyone ride both? Would be good to know what my Shox is worth (see what the price difference is).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

At 14st the RP23 will be fine with a Push.

Are you happy to carry perhaps over a pound in extra weight for a micron of extra performance?

FWIW I had a coil van R, then and RP3, then a pushed RP3. I was so impressed with the Pushed RP3, I got the Van R pushed when it needed a service too. Although I don’t use it much, it lurks in the garage as my standby shock.

The Pushed RP23 represents 95-99% of the performance for substantially less weight, and it the best compromise of weight vs performance IMO.

giantjason
    Free Member

hey John,

After getting the Moment setup and out for a couple of rides i find it a much better ride than my Reign with an RP23 shock.

Now i am not sure if this is just the two different suspension types but the coil soaks up bumps far better and appears to be much more linear through the stroke.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

giantjason

How you finding it, told you she was good? I’m really missing how the coil felt and I think its clouding my judgment a bit (my bike before the moment had a DHX air and that wasn’t in the same league). The Titus just doesn’t have that smooth feel. The suspensions are very very similar so I’m deffently thinking its the shock. Was your RP23 pushed? I blieve the difference between a pushed and an unpushed is huge.

giantjason
    Free Member

i am finding the Moment very very good……much more capable than i will be! it just wants to go faster and faster. Cant wait to get it to the Alps later in the year.

i didnt have my RP23 pushed, but guys who have, seem to rave about it making a huge difference.

IanS
    Free Member

I have a Pushed RP23 and a Pushed Van R for my Endorphin.

The bump sensitivity of the coil is much finer and it feels bottomless with very smooth travel. The 23 pedals better but at the cost of a slight platform feel and it does seem to blow through on big hits, whatever the air pressure. Coil for me.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Cheers for the advise folks, coil it is. Anyone wants a 215 x 64 HV RP23 give me a shout.

carlphillips
    Free Member

coil all the way….pluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssssh

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ah! Its an HV can? They’re not so good for lads like us. Not enough rising rate.

Vortexracing

Scienceofficer and IanS, i’m considering the same thing, I have a pushed RP23 that i love and a Vanilla r for ‘daft’ days. i have spoken to Tim Flookes about pushing the vanilla R even though I only use it occasionally. he rates it very highly, but he would.

What sort of improvement does it give on your Vanilla R’s?

the_lecht_rocks

Cane Creek Double Barrel – Never need a PUSH kit again. Wind up the HSC and there’s your mid stroke blowthrough cured instantly 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The same as on my RP3. Better controlled damping overall, no wallow in mid-stroke with a ‘platform effect’ that I don’t seem to notice, whilst still maintaining everything thats good about a coil shock.

I didn’t mean to say rising rate either, thats about frame leverage. I meant not enough progression through the stroke.

the_lecht_rocks

air shocks cannot offer controlled (and/or plush) mid stroke control.
    they can provide a suspension platform, just less able than coil at the moment.

rockitman

So what would you guys recommend for someone who’s 18st? I’m running my RP23 at 260psi which is pretty high. Would I be better with coil on my Yeti 575?

How would pushing it help?

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you wanna stick with air how about a DHX 5.0 Air, where you can control teh mid strole and the bottom out resistance and set them up as you wish?

I really like the one i fitted to my Pitch, made the bike much better DH and loads better going up too

the_lecht_rocks

rockitman – i assume you’re joking, right ?
    i recommend you buy a Fox Vanilla and get it Pushed and sprung to suit – you’ll thank me – seriously.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Should I swap RP23 for Coil?’ is closed to new replies.