Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Should i swap out my boardman for an orange five?
  • andybrad

I’ve got a Boardman FS pro at the moment and if im honest its the best bike ive had so far. It seems to do everything i asked of it in and around calderdale.

Anyhow ive been getting a bit of bike envy with people turning up to our Wednesday night rides with shiney shiney bikes. So ive spotted this advert for an orange 5. The guy is selling it as a 2012 model but its clearly a 2009/2010 so no tapered headset, narrow seat tube and qr rear axle. The headset doesn’t bother me but i do like the rear maxle and dropper post on my boardman.

Sooooo waffling on. The bikes on the money for the year(i think about 1k) and in good nick. Is it worth dropping a wedge of cash on the bike to replace the boardman (that will move to the missus) or should i hold out. If im honest i only really want it for the frame (fit a wider rear tyre) and slightly longer suspension. what are your thoughts?

Cheers

roverpig

I went from a 26″ Giant Trance (which looks to have very similar geometry to the Boardman) to a 26″ (2013) Five. I find the Five to be more fun. Not necessarily better in any objective way (the Trance was a great bike too) but more fun, more balanced and inspiring a bit more confidence on the way down.

I’m not sure when Orange changed the geometry though, so I’m not sure if the 2009/10 model has the same geometry as the 2013. I’ve has a 2006 model Five in the past and prefer the geometry of the 2013 version (although I’m sure some folks prefer the older version).

I wouldn’t worry about Maxle rear ends to be honest. Mine has one, but there is so much flex in the swingarm that it seems pointless worrying about a tiny bit of extra stiffness at the dropouts.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For saying “swap out”, I’m afraid to say that I am going to have to kill you. Sorry about that.

kayak23

if im honest its the best bike ive had so far. It seems to do everything i asked of it in and around calderdale.

No then?

nealglover
    Free Member

As CFH said.

The answer is no.

You should never “swap out” anything.

Never.

Is that clear ?

andybrad

ok then i mean buy as a second bike.

tbh im thinking that the bike could actually be a 2008/2009 model im not too sure.

andybrad

talked myslf out of it! few !

andybrad

Now then Lapierre spicys?

neninja
    Free Member

A mate went from a Boardman FS to an Orange Five. It totally transformed his riding and he gained a huge amount of confidence. I guess the Five sizing/geometry just suited him better but he’s so much quicker downhill now than he was before.

Northwind

Not a bad idea in principle but you’ve given yourself some good reasons not to buy this particular bike, especially the dropper post. If you want a Five, there’s loads about so why not hold out for the right one?

Don’t overthink gear aquisition syndrome, there’s nothing wrong with WANT SHINY THING 😉

Oh, and a Five with a maxle still has a pretty flexy rear end- it’s not a problem, I like it tbh but if your reason for liking the maxle is for extra stiffs, you won’t really get them. If you just like extra retention, it’s good for that.

sprocker
    Free Member

drop some offset bushes in the boardman, slacken it out and alot cheaper than buying a new bike (like I have done on roverpig’s old trance).

Now them lapierre spicy’s are different the only bike I regret getting rid off.

andybrad

Is this the northwind of sv650 fame that guided us around scotland? Hello chap 🙂 (if its not ignore me)

Anyhow talked myself out of that particular bike. it just didnt float my boat. However ive seen a nice heckler for similar money. Any reason not to?

And talk to me about ofset buches please? I did fancy putting a 140mm fork on the boardman but everyone thinks its crazy and ill die in a horrible fireball of death if i do.

Northwind

Guilty as charged, you can quit motorbikes but internet forum addiction is for life 😳

ads678

For saying “swap out”, I’m afraid to say that I am going to have to kill you. Sorry about that.

+1000, Who started putting ‘out’ where it’s not needed any way?

back on topic though, i’ve never had a boardman FS but do own a five and i like it. It has a 27.2 seat post and a dropper as well!!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’d pass on it and see if you can get a taper HT/larger seat tube model – was that 2010, 11 or 12? Eitherway, 27.2 dropper choice still isn’t good enough and probably never will be now.

roverpig

drop some offset bushes in the boardman, slacken it out and alot cheaper than buying a new bike (like I have done on roverpig’s old trance).

Yes, I do often wonder what that Trance would have been like with a 140mm fork and some offset bushes. It sounds as though you are having fun with it. I probably should have tried it, but as Northwind says, there’s nowt wrong with a bit of GAS. It keeps the economy ticking along 🙂

sprocker
    Free Member

Had a heckler to and don’t regret selling that either, not a bad bike just to short for me.

The bushes are about £40 from Burgtec and they will take about 1.5 degrees of your head angle and lower your bb. You can then fit a longer fork withouit lifting the bb to much.

I have done it on my trance, top bush only with a slightly longer fork, shaved about 2 degrees in total. It a cheap way of changing your geometry if your bike is a bit steep.

Its my 5 chasing machine 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Andy, as I said on the CMB facebook page, I love my Five but I’d not be without a dropper or the ability to at least source one easily.

I had a Heckler too a few years back. Absolutely hated it. Felt like it was broken all the time. Lasted 2 rides before I sold it.

I’m going to try and drag myself out on the Weds night ride next week so you can have a play on my Five if you want. Might at least make you decide how much you like/dislike them…

nickwatson
    Free Member

For reference, it was the 2011 model that was the first with the tapered headset, 30.9mm seatpost size, and external dropper guides. I umm’d and err’d for ages over a secondhand 2010 full build, but bought a 2011 frame and forks from those decent chaps at bikeactive (when frame and Fox RLC forks were about £1600).

njee20
    Free Member

Felt like it was broken all the time. Lasted 2 rides before I sold it

All the time? All 6 hours you owned it!? I’d be taking a fist of salt with that review 😉

roverpig

bought a 2011 frame and forks from those decent chaps at bikeactive (when frame and Fox RLC forks were about £1600).

They still are 🙂

Orange-Five-Frame

fox-32-float-140-rlc-fit-15qr

andybrad

cheers dave, i wouldn’t mind a quick go if thats ok 🙂

nickwatson
    Free Member

Nice spot roverpig (although the 650b frame may have something to do with the price now).

roverpig

Yes, 650b isn’t all bad news 🙂

chestrockwell

Echo what’s been said. Don’t swap for a 2009/10 but do for a newer one. 2009/10 geometry is the same as 11/12/13 but if you want to keep a dropper etc just wait for a 2011+. I’ve had both qr and maxel and would recommend maxel all day long as it makes a big difference.

wl
    Free Member

2013 Five is the most fun and versatile bike I’ve owned in 18 years’ riding. I’m in Calderdale, and unless you’re into xc racing, it’s as near as you’ll get to the perfect bike for everything here, cheeky steeps included. Guess the 650b might rival it, but I wanted small wheels.

andybrad

ive just spotted a 2011 spicy 216 for about 300 quid under my budget. yes its basic but it would get me into the tertiary i fancy for not a lot of brass. The only thing i can see is the basic fork that i could swap out in the new year.

And ive always fancied one. Any reason not to?

roverpig

I can’t comment on the differences between the Boardman, Spicy and Five as I’ve only ridden one of the three, but you should always buy what you’ve always fancied I reckon.

wl
    Free Member

If the Spicy doesn’t snap first, I’m guessing Calderdale conditions will eat its pivots on a regular and expensive basis.

andybrad

are they really that bad?

wl
    Free Member

To be perfectly honest I don’t know – just going on what folk say. More to the point, the Fives really are that good. Been riding single-pivot Oranges for 13 years and I’ve changed one set of pivot bearings, and that includes full-on winter riding and a full season in the Alps.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Got a link to the bike for sale? Or any pics?

andybrad

ebay 111223465075

seavers
    Free Member

If the Spicy doesn’t snap first, I’m guessing Calderdale conditions will eat its pivots on a regular and expensive basis.

We are Calderdale riders, my mate has been using his 2011 Zesty through all kinds of winter crap and no pivot or cracking problems. It has also done the Alps and Spain. I have been doing the same on a Five but recently went for a new Zesty (same frame as a Spicy this year). Both great bikes.

One thing to consider is as you would not be the original buyer spare frame parts might be harder to find. I called Hotlines to find a part and had to go through the shop I bought the Zesty from. Buying second hand could make finding pivot/frame spares harder, google it, some people have had issues.

One thing that stands out in the listing is frame size.

LAPIERRE SPICY 216 BOUGHT NEW IN JUNE 2011 FRAME SIZE SMALL BUT IS MEDIUM IN OTHER MANUFACTURERS SIZES.

I would want get on it and see how it feels. Or at least do some research in to your current bikes geo/sizing and this one.

catvet
    Free Member

New 650 five is slicker fitter and quicker !!!!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

is it that much of a tough call… a bike from a brand built upon a name for a car accessory retailer or a bike from a brand built on riding?

orange all day for me.

seavers
    Free Member

is it that much of a tough call… a bike from a brand built upon a name for a car accessory retailer or a bike from a brand built on riding?

orange all day for me.

Your views are interesting and I would like to subscribe to your news letter. Please explain your real world experience of using both bike brands!?

robhughes
    Free Member

I have a pimped up 516 spicy and 2011 five.Both built from the frame up.
    There both superb bikes to ride and great fun.The Spicy if you want to really push it as it will take anything you can throw at it.Well anything i can throw at it.They both ride really very similar so it’s hard to pick which one to ride.
    I also have an 08 Trance X1 again built from the frame up with 140 rct3 pikes(08)thanks to loco,offset top bush and some nice build bits.
    Now that wee bike is just superb an i’ll echo what has been said about it being a five chaser.It is a very quick nimble and tough little machine.
    I can ride that a lot quicker than either of the other two but when the going gets tough it’s time for the spicy to play out… 😀

andybrad

I see catvet im sure its full of awesomeness but iys also mega bucks

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I had a chat with a guy working in Biketreks in Ambleside a few years back when Lapierre Spicys were getting great magazine reviews (not that that means very much) he nicknamed them Snapierres due to the number of cracks in the swing arms. Haven’t heard much since so maybe the design has been changed. Either way, I’d prefer a five.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Should i swap out my boardman for an orange five?’ is closed to new replies.