Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Should I sell this or strip it for my next bike?
  • womble72
    Free Member

I have a Large Specialized Epic Comp that I am either going to sell or use it as a donor for my next bike.

I’m looking at getting a steel frame hard tail (Cotic, Singular etc etc either a 26″ or a 29er) and want to keep the build cost low as poss. So do i either sell this complete (I have owned this from new) or strip it and use the parts (I know they have had light use only and still in good order) then just sell the frame? Or try swap it for a suitable steel framed complete bike?

What would be the best course of action?

Stoner
    Free Member

how much of the parts are worth keeping rather than upgrading?

V brakes – replace with disks? They’re non-disk wheels though.
    New HT2 style chainset?
    If youre happy with the OEM cockpit stuff, then that might be transferable if the seat post is the right diameter.

Personally Id probably sell that on and build up the new frame with more contemporary parts from the classifieds.

womble72
    Free Member

I’m thinking I might sell it as a complete bike but I’m not sure what to ask for it.

New bike = New bling 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m thinking I might sell it as a complete bike

worth more in bits.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

worth more in bits.

would usually agree but; non-disc hubs and brakes would seriously limit interest in and value of both, if bar/stem/post are basic OE then wont sell for much after you’ve clawed back postage.

As much as you can tell in ‘net pics the bike looks in good shape so might sell as a “first FS” package, especially on Ebay with it being from a well-known brand.

So +1 for stoner, most of our fleet have ex-classifieds stuff on them, and we’ve always picked up nice quality and condition kit at bargain prices. Recently put some mint Pro 2/717 wheels on Munqe Chicks new full susser for £135, and most of my Dialled Alpine including the frame was built from used parts with some new stuff thrown in.

andyl
    Free Member

as it’s a brand name bike and doesnt have the latest kit on I would sell as a whole.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Should I sell this or strip it for my next bike?’ is closed to new replies.