Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Should I sell my Orange 5?
  • aldomac
    Free Member

I bought a DWLink 5 Spot 2 months ago. The plan was to sell the 5 frame, an 07/08 model to part pay for it. I got to thinking that I almost had enough parts to rebuild so started to gather the remainder from the classifieds etc, with just the brakes outstanding now. The thought was to build her heavier – wider rims/tyres, saint cranks and use the 2009 RS Rev with maxle that I have which is mucho stiffer that the 15mm Van 32 RLC that I have on the Spot at the moment.
    But I got to thinking that since they are similar bikes, same travel why bother – just put the Revs on the Spot and keep the heavier wheelset for the days I need them and run the lighter set for local stuff – XC rides? What do ya think ?

jonb
    Free Member

Do you ride a lot in winter or on local night rides? May be more worthwhile building up something like a hardtail as a winter bike for when you can't be bothered to clean a full suss. Not much point having two similar bikes but there is a point having two if you ride a lot. Stop you from having those weeks where something is broken so you can't ride.

pinches
    Free Member

i'm looking to buy a 5 frame/fork at the moment, is it the newer style one with the bendy top tube?

aldomac
    Free Member

Yes its the newer style, size 16 and Orange.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I agree with jonb myself as I am set up the same for summer and winter but depends on what you want out of both your bikes 😉 a heavy DH bike and a light XC bike would be an alternative – 2nd hand frames dont go for much although Fives are pretty popular 😉

falkirk-mark

I think you should sell it to one of the locals at a bargain price to stop postie pat knicking it 🙄 😆

jimmy

i'll buy the frame off you…

Edit: Either of them, if the DWL's small too

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

do you need to sell the 5, either financially or space-wise? Do you like riding the 5? See the bikes I regret selling thread. Ive withdrawn my 5" Coiler from sale-after buying a Nomad I had originally decided to get rid of it. They have similar travel and arguably fill the same role/niche, but the Coiler owes me nothing, is a hoot to ride, and I'd be less miffed if it got trashed jumping/playing or due to winter riding than the new-to-me Nomad. The Coiler is being kept in heavy, sturdy play bike build.

The only other option I'd consider would be Jonb's; put the Coiler bits on a HT frame for hassle-free winter riding. Except I gave up HT's due to a bad back, and I dont 'neglect' my bikes enough to benefit from that theory-I'm a bit AR about cleaning and maintenance. In any case I'd probably still mothball the Coiler frame not sell it.

toons
    Free Member

yes

hora
    Free Member

Agree with Munqe-chick. Mothball it.

aldomac
    Free Member

JonB -Did the HT thing and my backside doesn't get on with them 😮 plus bikes are always washed after each ride. The 5 is good in that replacing bearings costs just a couple of quid.
    Munqe-chick -I don't need to sell the 5 but the time it takes up and the additional cost rebuilding it is mounting. Don't fancy the mothballing longterm, rather sell now and pick up a newer one in a few years time.

Pinches/Jimmy -The Spot and 5 are worlds apart in price- the Spot about £1600 while the 5 would be around £600. The Spot is a medium and only slightly longer than the 5 but has more standover.

The other dilema is what fork to use on which bike as the Rev is stiffer and slightly taller but the Van is just so plush…

jimmy

aldomac – if you do want to sell the orange let me know.

cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Should I sell my Orange 5?’ is closed to new replies.