Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Should I report this driver to the police?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Not the usual car/bike incident…

Waiting in a queue in my car this morning, behind people turning right. Going into a show, hence the cars turning right were held up by the entrance being blocked by other cars getting in, rather than cars coming the other way.

Next thing I know there’s a car overtaking me. Going pretty quick too – 20 or 30mph (far faster than I’d have tried overtaking if I’d been silly enough to overtake stuff turning right). Of course when he got to overtaking the car at the front of the queue, the entrance became clear and they started to turn right – cue him swerving round the car (which fortunately saw him coming in time to stop – otherwise I;m sure they’d have hit) and nearly losing the back end. No actual contact or damage though.

I have the reg number of the car which overtook, and the two cars in front of me in the queue (as independent witnesses, I’m sure they must have also seen it all). Worth reporting to the police, or just too much hassle for nothing?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My friend has been reporting bad driver to the cops in the last few week, literally riding straight to cops and starting with “Somebody just tried to Kill Me” works quite well.

We all need to report bad drivers, either cops will get pissed off or try and sort stuff out, up north they have enough time to go have a word

Stoner
    Free Member

on the way from blackmore to the cross or the cross up to the wells road chris?

Taff
    Free Member

Someone hammered passed me and five other cars while we were waiting at traffic lights the other day. Didn’t get a chance for the reg but would’ve shopped him if I could.

glenh
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be for nothing I don’t think. While the police probably won’t do anything since there was no accident, I think they would keep the info on file in case the driver is currently/in future up for any other driving offenses.

p.s. impressive number plate remembering skills.

RichPenny
    Free Member

It’ll take a few minutes out of your life, so not that much hassle really. If the police think it worthwhile they may act, and maybe the driver will learn that driving like a tool sometimes has repercussions.

Stoner
    Free Member

PS as a local, Id be more than happy for you to shop him. Next time he might be driving like a **** around me.

aracer
    Free Member

Just by Blackmore (going to the cross, obviously), turning into the first entrance.

impressive number plate remembering skills

Well given none of us turned into the showground, I noted down the car in front at the lights, the next one when waiting at the next junction (the first one had turned off), and ended up right behind the culprit when he turned off my road – was the first time I’d seen his reg, so stopped and noted it down then.

Stoner
    Free Member

im intrigued as to why you were going that way 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Because I’d forgotten about the show being on! As it turns out I got held up almost as much waiting for dangerous driver to turn right on Castlemorton Common as I did in the queue for the showground.

Or if that wasn’t what you were asking, going to Rhoose (via M50 J2) for a surfski race. Came back via Hanley Swan.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Definitely I’m all for it. I said this on the forums and all the drivers amongst us said it was a pecking order and we are below them. Absolute garbage

Stoner
    Free Member

how dya get on~?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was about to say “I would” and then realised I see this daily and never do.

user-removed
    Free Member

Someone hammered passed me and five other cars while we were waiting at traffic lights and ran the lights, weaving between crossing pedestrians the other day. Didn’t get the have a reg because he was on a bike but would’ve shopped him if I could.

Saw this all the time whilst walking / driving / cycling in Glasgow – was just about annoyed enough to write about it on teh internetz.

globalti
    Free Member

FFS how many times do I have to post this for people to read it?

There is now a well-practiced routine for citizens to report bad driving and speeding. You phone the non-emergency number for your local Police (0845 1 25 35 45 in Lancashire) and make a report. As long as the make, reg and colour tally they will note the incident on the Police National Computer. Next time that car is seen by a patrol car equipped with ANPR he will get stopped for a chat and a “producer” notice, meaning he’s got to take his documents to the Police station. Since there’s a strong likelihood that bad drivers will also be uninsured, untaxed etc. he could well be taken off the road. More than three reports and the driver gets a home visit and probably a Section 59, where the car is confiscated.

We have a residents’ association, that’s campaigning for speed humps in or street and we report speeders all the time. We have dealt with two speeding residents in his way as well. It woks.

donsimon
    Free Member

There is now a well-practiced routine for citizens to report bad driving and speeding. You phone the non-emergency number for your local Police (0845 1 25 35 45 in Lancashire) and make a report. As long as the make, reg and colour tally they will note the incident on the Police National Computer. Next time that car is seen by a patrol car equipped with ANPR he will get stopped for a chat and a “producer” notice, meaning he’s got to take his documents to the Police station. Since there’s a strong likelihood that bad drivers will also be uninsured, untaxed etc. he could well be taken off the road. More than three reports and the driver gets a home visit and probably a Section 59, where the car is confiscated.

Now I know why SmurfMat hid the registration numbers when he posted photos on here. Sounds like a great way to get back at people who slightly hack me off.

takisawa2

We nearly had a head-on collision on the way to Wales on Sat morning. Came round a bend to find some rsole in a Subaru overtaking. Luckily he managed to swerve back in, causing a bit of panic braking from those he had overtaken. We were already up the verge waiting for the inevitable. He even had the audacity to be flashing his lights at us. Staggering.

Woody
    Free Member

More than three reports and the driver gets a home visit and probably a Section 59, where the car is confiscated.

Surely that can’t be right. 3 reports (without evidence or independant corroboration) and they can take your car? Presumably that is only if you are uninsured etc. Wide open to abuse and malicious calling.

Other than that – good idea and thanks for posting the reminder.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes – report it

With witnesses you should be able to push for a prosecution

Woody
    Free Member

Takisawa

See that all the time and I seriously believe that in those circumstances, anyone who is caught overtaking on a blind corner should be banned immediately.

samuri
    Free Member

There is now a well-practiced routine for citizens to report bad driving and speeding. You phone the non-emergency number for your local Police (0845 1 25 35 45 in Lancashire) and make a report. A

Not seen that before, thanks I’ll give it a try. Do they get back in touch to let you know how things went?

The same moron in a red Mondeo regularly skins it past me just before a set of lights in the mornings and then turns left right in front of me, he’s come close enough to make me brake hard a couple of times. Up till now I’ve simply professed my feelings to him in signal form. I didn’t realise there was actually something I could do about this ****.

DezB
    Free Member

My sister-in-law got a visit from the police when one of the neighbours (falsely) reported her as drink driving.
    My brother got a visit when an old lady reported him as driving too close (he was, but she was going about 15mph)

Always worth reporting the arseholes that actually deserve it.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I should have listened to my other half rather than you lot. Been on to the police and going in to make a statement, but it will doubtless be a complete waste of my time, as apparently my reg nos of the other cars in the queue are completely useless – they won’t contact them, so no other witnesses unless they report themselves.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF? Police under a duty to investigate Shirley?

I am guessing they balance chances of successful prosecution (may not be great without Police witnesses?), gravity of offence (pretty low in their eyys I guess) and effort required (a fair bit).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We nearly had a head-on collision on the way to Wales on Sat morning. Came round a bend to find some rsole in a Subaru overtaking. Luckily he managed to swerve back in, causing a bit of panic braking from those he had overtaken. We were already up the verge waiting for the inevitable. He even had the audacity to be flashing his lights at us. Staggering.

I refuse to believe that you saw a scooby speeding on the wrong side of the road in Wales, where no-one believes they’re the next Sebastian Loeb. 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Well I should have listened to my other half rather than you lot.

I’m sure all those who took the time to offer advice really appreciate that 🙄

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Should I report this driver to the police?’ is closed to new replies.