Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Should I increase my fork travel? ASR 5
  • eulach

Normally if it ain’t broke don’t fix it but…
    Currently running 130mm but could remove one or 2 spacers and remain within manufacturer’s tolerances. I know the theoretical consequences but how’s it going to feel? Any thoughts or experiences, people?

mildred

I ran 150mm revs on my asr5c. I think they were longer than the warranty allowed but I couldn’t take my “big” bike to France because of an issue with it, so I emailed Yeti’s warranty dept to ask the question. This was their )very speedy) reply:

Mark,
    The 150mm setup will not harm your frame or warranty. Go for it! Have fun in the Alps!

Thanks,

-Matt

cid:image001.gif@01CAB158.565CEF50 Matt Fisher: Warranty/Service/Tech
    http://www.yeticycles.com
    p.303.278.6909×1024
    f.303.278.6906

Yeti Cycles: HandBuilt RaceBred
    621 Corporate Circle, Unit B
    Golden, CO 80401

I didn’t take the Yeti in the end but kept the forks at 150mm because it felt spot on.

jimmy

I ran mine on 140/150mm but it does depend on the terrain. 130mm was ideal for, say, trail centre stuff. For DH, Alps and likes it was brilliant at 150mm.

140mm was be the perfect compromise if you can.

Prophet2
    Free Member

I ran 120, then 130 and finally 140 forks on my ASR5. I had most fun with the 140s. Climbing didn’t seem to be affected too much and the bike was much more fun on the descents.

scruzer
    Free Member

only ever had 140s and been great up, down and along.

eulach

It feels terrible at 150. I’ll leave it for a couple of weeks and see if I get used to it but it feels so sluggish and unstable.

Leku
    Free Member

140mm here. Works for me.

bones76
    Free Member

Changing from 120mm to 150mm is something I’ve considered for sometime now and am pleased Yeti replied the response they did.

What fork are you running? Be good to know your thoughts over the next few weeks and may determine if I go 140mm or 150mm

mildred

Because it’s a fairly short travel bike I found that with the Revs at 150mm I had to “ride the fork”, similarly to a long travel hard tail. I also had a very nice Push tuned fox rear shock, which resulted in a very quick and lively trail Bike with masses of fun and a get out of jail card..!

tmb467
    Free Member

what size stem you running? If you’ve increased the trail then you might need to drop some length off the stem to compensate

bones76
    Free Member

Any more thoughts on increasing your travel op? Be good to know your thoughts…

atoz
    Free Member

Run mine at 120, 130 and 140. Still at 140 as I found this to be the best travel for the bike.

jonnyboi

Are you regularly using full travel and bottoming out? If not I’m unsure why you would want to do it?

bones76
    Free Member

Reason am going to try a 140mm fork is am getting older and hoping it will feel a bit more plush lol

eulach

I haven’t been out so much lately – there’s 4 inches of snow on the ground, turning slowly to ice.
    It’s as you would expect really, not so responsive turning, a bit wavey on the climbs. I never really had a problem going downhill fast so I don’t really notice much advantage there – which is exactly where you want it. It does give you a bit more room for error when landing though.
    It’ll stay at 150 until I’ve taken it out on an all-day tour and I’ll report back then.
    Edit: 50mm stem and 2011 Revs. And I always use all the travel (joking). If I start bottoming out then I adjust the air pressure but that rarely happens.

Superficial
    Free Member

Are you regularly using full travel and bottoming out? If not I’m unsure why you would want to do it?

Head angle. Longer forks generally make the bike more aggressive / easier to hit rough stuff hard.

I had 140mm on my ASR-5 and I’ve ridden one with 130mm. 140mm definitely felt better for me, but I was under the impression (at the time) that 150mm would void the warranty. I have my suspicions that the front might be a bit wandery on climbs though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Should I increase my fork travel? ASR 5’ is closed to new replies.