Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Should I hunt him down (metaphorically..kinda)
  • althepal

Aye up, I know theres been a few threads around problems on the classified but am a bit peeved at this one.
    Bought a set of Hope matchmakers last week from the classifieds,told they were for avid/and or xt shifters. Paid for them the Saturday night, they were posted the Tuesday after the bank holiday and arrived the Thurday. All good so far..
    Tried fitting them and theres no way they’re suitable for XT shifters (M770) the angle of the clamp is all wrong, points them straight down at the ground rendering them totally pointless.
    Fired a wee email off the same day to the person which I’ve had no response to (emailled the Thursday morning intially to check they’d been sent, got a reply within a coupla hours), have sent another email now.
    Looking at the persons history on here they seem to do a lot of buying and selling although no new posts since Thursday.
    I know its all a risk, only £14,mtfu etc but I feel I’ve been diddled a bit an am not happy- more so at the wall of silence I’m getting now!I was actually looking forward to fitting the items onto the bike, saddo that I am!
    So, is complaining to Singletrack a possibility, or should I just out them on here and anywhere else I can find them.
    Have the persons address and email address also so guessing they’ll turn up in a few other places too!
    What do you think?
    For the record, I dont own any bombers!

stayhigh

RABBLERABBLERABBLE

Complaining to STW wont do a great deal as all they do is facilitate the forum through which you make your purchases.

There maybe a genuine reason for them not replying sooner or they may have thought it fitted etc. I reckon that if you feel that sufficeiently little effort has been made and enough time passed on the part of the seller then out them and leave them at the mercy of the masses 😀

althepal

That was pretty much my thoughts.. Wasnt sure if there was anything official that could be done, that’s all.
    Looked through the rules after I posted that and came to the same conclusion.
    Itll be a week on Thursday evening and considering he responded promptly enough when I emailed thurs morning to check they’d been sent I think he’s at it.
    It’s only £14s worth but I’m fairly sure he knew about the issue prior to posting them.
    Oh well. Will be outing shortly I reckon..

HermanShake
    Free Member

Could it not just be a genuine mistake? They may also be away. As it was £14 and you did actually receive something I don’t think walloping him with the 2 legged justice maker seems fit.

Sure it must be annoying, but they probably had SRAM and assumed the wrong thing for the XT. A quick look on CRC shows they sell specific ones for each brand.

I don’t mean to be annoying but it’s worth reading up on something before you commit in case they don’t know their stuff. I could have avoided similar mistakes if I had done a little research before choosing parts.

CHB

If you knew what you were buying you would have known that the hope do different models, so that the seller must be wrong when he said ok for both. Therefore you are as guilty as him in making the mistake.

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah what CHB said I reckon, it is not like he has tried to fleece you as such. You need to do your homework whether you are buying an item from a shop or classifieds imo.

large418
    Free Member

Find out what you have got, and resell (correctly) on STW classifieds. No one should lose out then, as, after all, it could have been an honest mistake.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

^ that’s what I was going to say. Alternatively, you could threaten to disrupt the individuals sales, whenever they post on STW classifieds, then they can decide whether that’s worth £14.

Woody
    Free Member

So no new posts since Thursday which is the same day you emailed. Give the guy a chance as he could be away, or internet access down.

Doesn’t sound like it was done intentionally, so I’d wait another week before getting too worried.

althepal

Hs, reckon if it was a genuine mistake he might have got back in touch to say that?
    Totally accept I should have done a bit more checking but at the same time if someone is selling something you’d expect them to know what it is they’re selling, or at least say they don’t..

althepal

Guy was fairly prolific, esp on classifieds, nothing since last Thursday.. He was quick enough responding when asking if they’d been posted, a few hours later the same day no response when I emailled again.
    Did look at the different brackets but was only when I got them I realised the angle of the shifter mounts is cack. Doubt very much it would work with any shifter, SRAM or Shimano!!
    Emailled twice since last Thursday and no response, think the person knew fine well the item wouldn’t work with anything.. Doubt it’s sellable on here or if I’d want to..
    Have thought about hijacking threads, need some to start with tho!!

stayhigh

walloping him with the 2 legged justice maker seems fit.

😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me thinky threads like this ought to have there own special little corner of the t’interweb.

althepal

Er, what is a two legged justice maker btw, is this a penis gag?
    Part of me hopes he sees this and just does the right thing!!
    Petty, probably. But he knows he’s at it!

drslow
    Free Member

Mate, what you need to do is get out on your bike and ride it!!

shindiggy
    Free Member

Er, what is a two legged justice maker btw, is this a penis gag?

Bombers

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Er, what is a two legged justice maker btw,

Marazocchi Bombers

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d put my money on him taking the 14GBP and doing a runner to Burkina Faso or somewhere similar to live out the rest of his days in a style to which he will now have become accustomed.
    Or…
    He’s on holiday.
    Give it a while longer.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Post a pic on here of them so someone can tel you what you actually have.
    Then list them in the classified to sell. If they sell then alls solved.

Give the guy a chance to reply, at least until he starts posting on threads again. At that point tell him you want to return them for a refund if they are not as described.

Either way I can’t see you being out of pocket for long.

PS if he was going to scam you and run to the hills to never sell stuff on here again he’d have done it for more than £14.
    I could do with some sram one’s so if thats ehat they are you could have a sale already

Rickos
    Free Member
    MrWoppit
    Free Member

told they were for avid/and or xt

Caveat Emptor.

Junkyard
    Free Member

caveat emptor for them not being for what he was told – dont be daft Whoppit
    If they are Hope brakes for SRAM shifters then I will buy therm from you for £14 – mail in profile

Rickos
    Free Member

TBH if I was told they were for avid(SRAM?) and/or XT then alarm bells would have been ringing as they’re totally different.

althepal

Rickos, was not aware they were different, I’ve never used SRAM shifters so I’m not familiar with the mounts!
    Junkyard, im not sure if they’re not someone’s decent attempt at a homebrew but with a school boy error on the clamp angle..
    Here’s a pic if anyone’s interested (prob not)..

Edit, I only have revs, and they’re on the bike already.

Rickos
    Free Member

They look like Hope X2 mounts to me. Same as these described as ‘Hope Race X2 direct mount brackets for XT’. What Hope brakes do you have?

althepal

I have techs, not races. Have just had an email from the chap explaining that the items fit hope race brakes, not tech.
    I did not read the advert correctly, so am now a fud.
    I will be responding to the sellers email now to advise the above and apologise.
    Anybody wanna buy a set of hope race matchmaker brackets?
    Going cheap in the hope that I can at least salvage something from this whole sorry affair.

althepal

CHB

credit to you for fessing up to being a fud.

😉

We all have fud moments. Now own yourself with Bombers as a penance.

konabunny
    Free Member

<Doffs cap at gentlemanly conduct on both sides>

2 legged justice maker

I think I love you.

maxray
    Free Member

Fair play althepal!

Self ownage with a 2 legged justice maker sounds pretty wrong!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Should I hunt him down (metaphorically..kinda)’ is closed to new replies.