Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Should I have gone tubeless?
  • chaos

I’ve just noticed that my tyres (Specialized & S-Works) say ‘2Bliss ready’ on them and found out that my Rims (Roval Control AL) are also listed as tubeless ready so with a bit of sealant I ought to be able to go tubeless straightaway.

Have I been wasting my time with inner tubes for the last year? Any downsides of 2Bliss ready tyres I need to be aware of?

scaredypants

Have I been wasting my time with inner tubes for the last year?

Time on a bike isn’t wasted

Any downsides of 2Bliss ready tyres I need to be aware of?

Not really, they do need a bit of sealant but tend to work well

Trimix
    Free Member

Yes, go tubeless and then waste time with a track pump, then a compressor and gunk all over yourself in the garage trying for ages to get the things to work 🙂

Then waste more time when they burp off mid ride and are too hard to get back on.

After much faffing and thread searching you find out the combination of rim/tyre that works best and off you go.

You will still get the occasional puncture of course.

Id stick with tubes, getting the occasional puncture with them is just an excuse for a mid ride rest 🙂

Simon

2bliss tyres used tubeless have been great for me, although they’re not as cheap as they were a couple of years ago when you could get Eskars for just over 20 quid each.

Simon

Have to be the Control casing though, the normal ones are paper thin in my experience.

garage-dweller

You will be wanting a good slosh of sealant and you might need some rim strips or tape.

I have heard mention of Roval tape for ghetto conversions so assume this may be needed for roval.tubeless.

chaos

Great thanks. I may as well give it a shot once most of my current lot of inner tubes finally fail to be repairable. (and once I stop using the winter Schwalbe MudShark tyres I just put on which were the reason I noticed)

svalgis
    Free Member

Rim strip shouldn’t be required if the rims are TL ready. Yellow tape, removable valves and the gunk itself should do it.

My personal experience with tubeless so far has been very pleasant and faff free. YMMV of course.

Deveron53
    Free Member

You’ve wasted your whole life with tubes. Go tubeless NOW!

Northwind

Put it this way, it’s not going to cost you much to try, and most people who try it stick with it. Sworks tyres can be a wee bit delicate, very racy- but then, they’ll still be delicate with tubes in.

Yes there is faff involved- but essentially you’re just replacing the faff of (most) punctures, which always happen at the worst time, with the faff of tubeless, which happens when you want it to, not up a mountain in the rain. I reckon it’s pretty neutral faff-wise but even if there was more faff with tubeless, it’d still be worth it.

All you’ll need is a suitable tape (Roval blue tape is very good, but a couple of wraps of quality electric tape is also effective, it’s just a wee bit easier to damage when you change tyres). Valves- not Stans, they’re the wrong shape and can pull through the hole, you want either the proper Roval ones or I think Mavic will probably work. And sealant.

And a decent track pump! One mistake I made was trying to seat tyres with my Joe Blow, it’s a good pump but it’s not very suitable for tubeless as it’s very low volume. My cheap-and-nasty Blackburn feels like it’s going to snap, but it shifts far more air.

Trimix – Member

Then waste more time when they burp off mid ride and are too hard to get back on.

I’ve never burped a tyre off my Rovals, or any other proper tubeless rim. Only ever had it happen while fannying around with inappropriate parts, prior to doing it right.

james
    Free Member

“Have to be the Control casing though, the normal ones are paper thin in my experience”
    Control casing are the normal one?
    S-works can be hit and miss though. (only used the older 55/65a storms)
    My first S-works storm I’ve had on problem with. My recent one has been awful. Curretnly got 6 patches in the tyre. Thats runnign with tubes. Not popping tubes but blobbing through the tyre sidewall. This one doesn’t like peak district rocks at all, whereas the older ones is absolutely fine

I too need to get roudn to sorting tubless. Have has Stans taped up Arch EX rims on the main bike, tubelessable tyres, valves and sealand in the garage. Not got roudn to it yet …

chaos

Good tip about the Roval valves, thanks. Some threads seem to suggest I ought to have got some with the bike in the first place so I may ask the shop as they’re not far away.

You’ve wasted your whole life with tubes. Go tubeless NOW!

Not got round to it yet …

Hmmm… I think the latter’s more likely to be the wasting of my life whatever ‘it’ is

br
    Free Member

First time tubeless can be a faff, so go with new tyres as your current ones could be baggy and/or holey.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Faff when you start, but great once it’s sorted.

Cannot measure how good it is to not have to fix the missus’s punctures.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Should I have gone tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.