Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Should I hack my new carbon Ibis frame with Sugru?
  • thinktank
    Free Member

Its my own fault for buying an American bike frame designed for weirdo’s who put the front brake lever on the lefthand side.

I need some cable stops for rear brake on right hand side of the top tube of my new Ripley.

3M sticky hose guides keep peeling off.

Thinking maybe fashion one out of Sugru and bond to the frame.

Anybody done this?

sweepy
    Free Member

Give it a go, it generally peels off pretty cleanly if it doesn’t work and sticks to most stuff.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I bought an american frame 20 years ago, now all of my bikes are braked t’other way around. easy to get used to it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Umm aren’t the guides on the left because the caliper is on the left? All my bikes have them on the left. If you have them on the right wouldn’t you need to run the hose across the frame at some point to get to the caliper? Or do I need more coffee this morning?

wwaswas

I’ve often run my rear brake to the left of the headtube.

I’d just give that a go, it doesn’t cause any problems if you don’t cross them over.

sweepy
    Free Member

The other option of course is to do what I did, use the 3m stickies then when they fall off bond them back on with JB weld. That is on a steel frame though.

thinktank
    Free Member

I would rather not re-learn something that has become so instinctive – I have enough problems staying rubber side down as it it.

I’ll give it a go if the Sugru is removable as @sweepy suggests.

If it doesn’t stick are there other options for bonding stuff to carbon?

wwaswas

sorry, I meant keep the levers how you want and just use the routing options available on the frame.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive never used it on carbon, but whenever ive tried on other smooth stuff if kind of peels off clean.

guide

clubber
    Free Member

I’m still not really clear why you need new guides. Can’y you still use the existing cable guides?

I doubt Sugru will ‘stick’ to carbon unless you do something to rough it up/key it so that there’s a non-smooth surface.

thinktank
    Free Member

@clubber – its so the hose crosses the headtube at the front in a smooth curve.

chiefgrooveguru

I realise it looks better but a hydraulic hose doesn’t care if it’s in a slightly tighter curve, at least not within the service life of a bike!

mrblobby
    Free Member

(In STW style…) Why do you need it to do that? Been puzzling over this so just been out to check my bikes. Lever on the left and brake hose routes down the left side on all my bikes.

wwaswas

I took this pic last night and it shows a left hand hose routing from a left hand rear lever. It’s not the end of the world 😉 Although my hose is a few cm too long really.

thinktank
    Free Member

Your right its not the end of the world.

But if I can make it work and do a neat job with the sugru I’d prefer the most elegant routing.

wwaswas

don’t you then have to cross the hose over under the top/down tube and over any other hoses/cables there, though?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

The most elegant routing is from the lever on the right, across the front of the headtube in a smooth arc onto the frame on the left. It’s less prone to getting damaged if the bars go all the way round in a crash that way.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Should I hack my new carbon Ibis frame with Sugru?’ is closed to new replies.