Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Should I get an inferior new bike – just because…
  • lostnfound
    Free Member

I have an Anthem X 26″, Reba World Cup forks, 3×9 XT, carbon post and bars and hope/mavic wheels. It’s a great bike
    BUUUT, I want something more trail focused and with them there trendy 650b wheels, tapered steerer and bolt through axle.
    AAAND, I’m a bit strapped for cash

Most of the bits wont fit a bigger hooper so I can’t just upgrade the frame.

I’m looking at the Norco Fluid 7.3 which comes in at under £1k (with trade-in) at Evans – so I can get it on the cycle to work scheme.

Will I regret it?

prawny

Probably.

rug80y
    Free Member

Do it

BigJohn

Look for a 26″ trail focused frame, cheap, and swap over the bits.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes (you will regret it). 29ers look like getting a whole lot more trendy after the weekend just gone. 650b not so much

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes. 29ers look like getting a whole lot more trendy after he weekend just gone. 650b not so much

+1, I never really saw the point of 650b, but then I’m 6ft so it wasn’t really aimed at me. 29ers just do everything better (unless everything involved backflip 360’s and skateparks).

prawny

You’d probably regret it more because the gears and suspension (if currently well maintained) won’t be as good on the norco. I’m still not convinced on the wheel size argument, I’ve got from 29″ to 650b because I felt the 29″ was a bit too smooth and not fun enough. Admittedly I only rode a couple of 29ers but the smaller wheel bikes have been more ‘fun’ even if they’re slower, and that’s what I’m after as a non-racer

hols2
    Free Member

Why not try a dropper post and shorter, higher rise stem on the Anthem, along with the biggest tyres you can fit? If the forks have any type of travel adjustment, run them at the longest setting. I think that would be a much better set up than the Norco.

lostnfound
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Surely more travel = more fun! 😀

The only thing I’m after really is more travel and kit that’s not going to be obsoleted.

I haven’t run with a dropper before and I will get one soon.

TBH The wheel size doesn’t really bother me, but is a real pain – I don’t want to be stuck with betamax wheels. It de-values the rest of the bike.

2nd hand frame and forks might be the way to go and stick with the 26″ and XT stuff.

OR Kona Precept 120? anyone, anyone?

richardthird

Just put a 120 Reba on my 26″ Anthem, tis great 😀

(already running dropper, nice wide tyres, shorter stem, wider bar, 1×10, 26lbs)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not sure how old your bike is, but assuming its a good few years old, and wheel size issue aside, the chances are you wont be ‘downgrading’. Such is the nature of progress that yesterdays top spec kit is tomorrows bottom of the range kit, so even though the new ‘inferior’ bike might have kit that is lower down the pecking order in the component range, the chances are it will be as good if not better than what you’ve got.

A mate of mine had a Norco for a few years, it was a great bike absolutely no question about it. Not sure it is inferior to anything, but inferiority is not an absolute thing, it largely depends on what you want out of the bike.

joebristol

Here’s a review of the norco online – can’t remember if on singletrack or bike radar.

Is it worth adding the options of the Boardman Team FS and the Calibre Bossnut (if you can get either on your scheme)? Both a little more travel I think and get ok reviews. I had the Pro FS and it was a pretty good bike.

chestrockwell

Looks a decent bike to me. Use your carbon bits and upgrade the brakes and wheels at some point and I think you would be happy. Deore stuff is great and the Rockshox kit will be decent. You’ll feel the weight but I don’t think it will feel a downgrade. Marin Hawk Hill is also worth looking out for.

bensongd
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat and looking at the v2 Bossnut through cycle to work but wondering if the difference is worth it. Got an old Club Roost enduro frame with some nice bits hanging off it but the obsolescence is a concern, that and we all like shiny new stuff.

Been told I can’t have 2 bikes.

Kryton57

Some reduced Anthems at Pedalon, and more will come in August / September-ish

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/mtb-fs-sale.php

MrAgreeable

Here’s a review of the norco online – can’t remember if on singletrack or bike radar.

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-norco-fluid-7-3-fs/

It’s a good bike for the money but it’s not the best example of a modern trail bike. The stock brakes are pretty shocking too.

core

v2 Bossnut

spookydan
    Free Member

I’m planning to get a Focus Vice pro, which retails for £1400. I haven’t ridden one yet but I tried an Orange Four, which I loved, and the geometry (spot on for a modern trail bike in my opinion) is almost identical.
    Obviously the Four had better components but the spec on the Vice looks great for the money: Recon fork, NX groupset, deluxe metric shock, dropper past. The frame even has a boost rear so it’s bang up to date.
    Link to a review by Bike Radar

spookydan
    Free Member

A couple of others I’ve considered that haven’t been mentioned already are the Giant Stance and Marin Hawk Hill.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Should I get an inferior new bike – just because…’ is closed to new replies.