Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Should I get an Audi A4, or another VW Passat
  • bigG
    Free Member

It’s time to change the car, thinking of an Audi A4 Avant, or another Passat estate. Any owners here that can give some honest feedback on the A4?

Is it a grim harsh ride or actually quite a nice thing to drive?

ads678

If not another Passat, get an A6, the A4 is too small.

footflaps

A4 is horribly bland inside (as a passenger), really don’t see the appeal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

The correct answer is, of course, the Mondeo.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m still going for an A6 over an A4. To be honest, I’d recommend a Honda Accord over them all, it’s what I have now and it’s been great but they hold their price really well.

tinybits
    Free Member

My 2008 A4 was a great car, far preferred it to 2012 Passat no issues at all despite hard driving for 70000 miles (mostly B roads). The A4 was too small for a kids seat behind my seat though, yet that works not in my 2013 golf…. Still liked the A4 though and I’d have another, unlike the Passat which I binned in 2 months (the joy of company cars)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you like bland driving cars, either will do. If you want something that drives well get a BMW, or Mondeo

chewkw
    Free Member

Honda Accord estate. :mrgreen:

allfankledup

T5

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sierra 2.3D.
    No, I meant Passat (or Mondeo)

posiwev
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2013 A4 and although I’m loathed to admit (It’s a co car) I like it, it’s got plenty of room and much more practical eg the seats fold down etc. than the 3 series I had before,

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I like my A4 but its pretty old skool now, but 200k from a petrol…

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Depends, do you have orange bike? Audi..

Are you from eastern europe? Passat it is.

agent007
    Free Member

Agree with Funky Dink completely, 3 Series BMW or Mondeo much better cars (if you actually enjoy driving that is). If you’re not bothered about how the cars drive then either A4 or Passat will be fine, although a Honda Accord will be far more reliable than anything German and you see far less of them around.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

What’s a hyundai i40 like in comparison? Is it worth a look?

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

Skoda Superb. Doesn’t drive as well as the Mondeo but it’s a essentially VW/Audi, it’s bigger than the A4 and you get more for your money than with the Passat

Cougar

What’s a hyundai i40 like in comparison? Is it worth a look?

Funny you should ask.

I went from a Mondeo Titanium to an i40, uh, Premium I think it is. The i40 is a great motor with a lot of toys for your money, but the Mondeo is undoubtedly the better car.

angeldust
    Free Member

I drive A4s, Passats and Accords regularly (among lots of others).

If you looking to buy new, the Accord tourer is not a practical choice anymore – boot is even smaller than the A4 and an awkward shape. Engines, transmission, and particularly refinement do not match current VW/Audi standards either. They do not hold there value particularly well (unless you are looking at ones that have aged enough to be further down the depreciation curve).

The Passat is significantly more practical than the A4, and cheaper. The A4 is a much nicer drive and has a much nicer interior, and is slightly more refined. Looks better too. Don’t buy one if you regularly use it as a load lugger, it’s not practical enough. Ride on the A4 is only an issue on very rough surfaces if you have the sports suspension.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I don’t know the current ranges so well but suspect not much has changed.

A4 = Golf estate sizewise and the older ones managed to feel smaller inside.
    Passat is a bigger car though smaller than the A6. I think the newer Passat’s have got bigger.

Skoda Octavia now feels like the best sized of them to me. Big enough to be useful but without being huge.

johnhe

I have been driving a 2.0TDI A4 Avant for 2 years now and it’s my favourite car of all the cars I’ve owned so far (Astra Estate, Laguna and 2 x Mazda 6 estates). I’ve spent a lot (and I mean tons) of time/miles in Passats, and I much prefer the A4. I’ve also driven the Mondeo and again, I much preferred the A4. The A4 is definitely much smaller inside than the Mazda, Mondeo or Passat though.

One man’s meat is another man’s poison of course, but I find the A4 a joy to drive. I went for the SE for a softer ride for my wife and kids, rather than the sportier S Line.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A6 Avant owner over 110k miles and 7 years. Loved the car.

I bought the A6 as I felt the A4 was too small (3 kids and bikes etc) and I wanted a Quattro and it was more readily available in the A6 TDI, as above I picked the SE spec.

The A4 is the higher quality product, especially the interior, great on long distance trips too. The Passat is the better load carrier. I think that will be the major factor between the two cars, whether you want the superior space or not. Passat better load carrier than an A6 too btw.

NZCol

Good topic. We need a estate, 4wd preferably, manual, diesel, prefer slightly higher running height. Have an outback now, considering passat all track, superb or octy 4×4, not an a4 all road or a6. Any others ?

Frodo

I spend a lot of time in my car for work. For me comfort is the most imprortant point. I’m now on my second Passat and it ticks all the boxes. Comfortanble, quiet, powerful, well equipped with spades of space for kit and bikes.

The integrated Nav, Phone, DAB etc is a reall plus point in the newer models!

What I would say is that its probably not the most exciting car to drive.

Depends what your after comfort and practicality or fun.

dragon
    Free Member

I went for the SE for a softer ride for my wife and kids, rather than the sportier S Line.

+1

The S line spec may look a touch better, but is awful IMO. Every drive is a painful experience, makes driving a misery.

Saccades
    Free Member

Good topic. We need a estate, 4wd preferably, manual, diesel, prefer slightly higher running height. Have an outback now, considering passat all track, superb or octy 4×4, not an a4 all road or a6. Any others ?

Jag X-type? 2nd hand are dirt cheap and although related to the mondeo parts are cheaper from jaguar (Certainly rear wheel bearings).

hot_fiat

Jag X-type

One word: rust.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@NZCOl why not add in some smaller 4×4’s – I loved our A6 as I said fabulous motorway car and great in snow etc but Rav4 was easier to park and had a better load carrying ability.

Rockape63
    Free Member

One word: rust.

there’s a few more I can think of as well and they aren’t very complimentary!

The A4 is not bland, its beautifully put together with high quality fittings. Its a good ride, depending on wheels and you’ll not regret buying one. Just be aware that the high mileage diesels with auto boxes should be avoided. You might get lucky, but they do go wrong and are expensive to repair.

If you’re not doing a lot of miles, look at the petrol options. Nicer engine, cheaper to buy and less to go wrong.

molgrips
    Free Member

We need a estate, 4wd preferably

Skoda Scout?

LoCo
    Free Member

RS6 estate obvs 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Loco those forks still leak. Will have to get some new seals after all.

LoCo
    Free Member

Ok pop up and we’ll put some new ones in (thought that might happen 😉 )
    (not today off to bikefest in a moment, when the energy products finally flippin turn up!!!! 👿 )

IanW
    Free Member

Ive had an A4 for quite a few years, now need another second car but cant find anything thats better than the old A4 except a new A4.

Closest was a Mazda with a very nice 2.2D engine, loads of buttons and gadgets in that usual japanese style.

Probably go for another A4/6 though.

hora
    Free Member

How about the A6- how good/reliable are they?

jimw
    Free Member

I had an A4 3ltr Tdi Quattro Avant in SE spec.for four years which was a lovely place to spend 55000 miles. I replaced with a Skoda Superb 170 Tdi 4×4 estate in Elegance spec. Apart from the engine which I do miss,the Skoda is just as comfortable, has a nearly as well made interior and is far more spacious for an increase in length of only 140mm. And it was £8000 cheaper than replacing with another A4 of the same age/mileage ( Both were ex-demo’s about 6 months old)
    To answer the question about the ride, if you get an A4 go for an SE on 17″ wheels- I spent some time trying other set ups, and this was by far the best for me- the S-line on 19’s was atrocious.

crush83
    Free Member

Ian w, I did exactly that! I went from a 2.4 v6 A4 to a 2.2D Mazda 6 and it is better in every way, and soooo much space inside ,

angeldust
    Free Member

As a second opinion, not so long ago I went from a Mazda 6 (Petrol Sport) to a A4 S-Line (both brand new), and the Audi is superior in every way, except for space! In terms of quality of construction, the interior, and especially refinement, the A4 was leagues ahead. I really liked the Mazda 6, and would recommend one, but you get what you pay for.

boblo
    Free Member

@nzcol I went through this recently and came away with a V70 after 12 years in A6’s. It’s not quit as nice as the Audis and the 5 pot is not quite so refined as the v6’s to I had. However, it’s full of toys (not in a nasty Japanese way) and was about ~£8k less than the equivalent Merc/BMW /Audi though that may be for a reason. They do a 4×4 if you must and I can get the tandem in the back with just the front wheel off.

The only downside so far; steering is a bit vague/overassisted but you soon get used to it. Fuel economy is similar v6 2.7tdi vs straight 5 2.5tdi.

bigG
    Free Member

To bring some closure to this and thanks for all the input ,, I’ve ordered an A4 Avant SE technik 2.0tdi 177 in Scuba blue and added a couple of options. Remarkable easy way to spend £32k!

Decided to steer clear of the S line as the suspension really is “firm” and the black edition just seems expensive for what you get, a big set of rims and some tinted windows.

Now I need to wait around 29 weeks for it to arrive 🙁

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ah you didnt say you were buying brand new! The current 3 series is leagues better that the A4 in every way. I looked at both and have got a 2 month old 3 series touring.

Did you even look at them?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Should I get an Audi A4, or another VW Passat’ is closed to new replies.