Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Should I get a fat bike?
  • Grizla
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden a fat bike, never even seen one in the flesh, but I do like the idea of them and would consider getting one based on the following assumptions:

They aren’t as hard to pedal as I imagine them to be (fat soft tyres must be relatively hard on the legs no?)

They really are as much fun as everyone says they are.

They are as good through soft mud as they are on sand/snow (very little in the way of sand, snow or rocks where I ride, but plenty of soft, sloppy, slippery mud and puddles.)

Anyone with any experience able to confirm/deny my assumptions?

As much as I like the look/thought of one I won’t get one if it isn’t right for the job.

devs
    Free Member

I’m on the verge myself. I’m weighing up On0ne Fatty, Mukluk2 and teh Black Ops/Necromancer.

My concern with the Fatty is teh 1×10. I don’t think it gives you a low enough gear to paddle 4″ tyres up hill in deep snow.

Mukluk 2 looks lush but is well pricey and as I’m a fatty myself and I’ll be riding it in snow I’d like fatter tyres.

Black Ops has wider rims but only 3.7 tyres. Do the rims make a difference here? I’m going to see/ride one at the weekend. It may even be snowing!

A fat bike with wide rims, 4″+ tyres and shimano gear doesn’t appear to exist AFAICS but would probably be my favourite 🙂 The Moonlander is a bit too fat.

tinsy
    Free Member

The answer is, of course you need one.

Me too. 🙂

I also need a 29’r & a Klunker & a cross bike (to match my wife), & a road bike & a comuter & a tandem, & a cargo bike…..

druidh
    Free Member

There was recently an extensive fatbike thread which will probably contain all the answers to your questions.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lets-see-your-fatties

If not, try The UK Fatbike Forum

druidh
    Free Member

devs – there’s quite a difference in tyre profile between a 62mm and a 80mm rim. I don’t think you’ll need 100mm that often. As coastkid puts it, the Moonie is “mission specific”.

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll find a legitimate reason for getting one, so stop trying to find a reason for getting one and just get one, then find a reason for having it.

Grizla
    Free Member

druidh, thanks. I had seen that thread, but it was only a couple of pages when I last saw it!

I’ll get a cuppa and have a look.

brakes, I like your thinking.

druidh
    Free Member

Cool. It’s remarkably positive and full of good info. Like I say, there’s plenty more developing over at the forum. 105 registered members now and we’re just trying to work out how many actually own fatbikes 🙂

swavis

I’m hopefully going to have a spin on my new Mukluk this evening.
    I certainly don’t need one but I wanted one. HTH 😀

footflaps

If not, try The UK Fatbike Forum

What no lurking allowed? You have to register – WTF is that about….

lipseal
    Free Member

Yes 8)

I’m hopefully going to have a spin on my new Mukluk this evening.
    I certainly don’t need one but I wanted one. HTH

I’m out on mine in the dunes tonight….. 😀

hugor
    Free Member

I’m in the honeymoon period with my moonlander. I’ve had her 3 weeks but we’ve done 800kms together.
    These include road, commutes and proper MTB riding.
    I have other bikes but I keep selecting her.
    If your curious I would get one cause it wont go away,
    For me I’m glad I went full fat with the moonlander, cause if I went for something else, I would always be wondering how much better things would be with something fatter like the moonlander.
    Fatter seems better for me and half fat seems no good for anybody.

nedrapier

I had a go on one recently, a 2013 Mukluk, for about 35 miles riding round Moab. I had a LOT of fun. 2nd day was one of my best days ever on a bike, but that had a fair bit to do with the trail.

Floaty, magic carpet ride on smooth stuff, sand is a joy. Trialsy type riding, front wheel lifts and bumps are easier in places because of the rebound you don’t get from forks.

Partly because I felt like a celebrity, EVERYONE wanted to ask about it, or just shout “awesome wheels!”

Mostly because it gives you a kind of childlike thrill from doing something that feels naughty, or inappropriate. Like splashing through puddles in normal shoes, getting them sopping wet but not caring. You know it’s not the fastest way of getting around, but you can still clip along at a fair rate. [insert standard STW “overtaking guys on full sussers” story here]

Although 6 time Megavalanche winner Rene Wildhaber did eventually catch me at the end of the Porcupine Rim trail and asked for a quick spin round the car park on it.

I want one.

Grizla
    Free Member

That’s it, I’m getting one.

wwaswas

good man 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

NO.

Grizla
    Free Member

Too late. “Buy” button clicked.

Not told the missus yet though.

Woody
    Free Member

Mostly because it gives you a kind of childlike thrill from doing something that feels naughty, or inappropriate. Like splashing through puddles in normal shoes, getting them sopping wet but not caring.

Are you in marketing ? If not, you should be 😉

emac65
    Free Member

Dunno,only you can answer that….
    If I were answering for myself I’d say hell no,what possible advantage can they have over a normal bike…Riding on sand & snow,we don’t get much of either of those in the Midands.Saw a bloke at this years Dyfi on one,he passed me as I was riding up a slight ascent(by the Star Wars stuff)grabbing a bite to eat.The route then took us into a descent & the bike (& rider)did appear to be fairly quick,but no quicker than me on my Trance.I had to brake a few times if I’m honest as there was nowhere to pass him safely,tbh I was enjoying following him thinking, wow they really do look fun,in a strange way.Then the route went up a fire road I passed him & never saw him again…that confirmed to me that I would never want one………….

But never say never ‘eh,always said I’d never have a FS 29er…….& that’s what I’ve been looking at this week……….;)

wwaswas

Not told the missus yet though.

It’s not really bought then, just on approval 😉

singlespeedstu

emac.

Maybe the Fatbike rider at the Dyfi was having a little tootle round with his mates and not taking things very seriously. 😉

OP
    Just buy one.
    You won’t stop thinking about it until you do. 🙂

swavis

Grizla – Member
    That’s it, I’m getting one

Resistance is futile 😆

Had a quick play on mine earlier and I can confirm that it is indeed FUN!

My new Mukluk by GavinBelton, on Flickr

boltonjon

I’m hovering as well chaps – but must first test ride one!

However, what is the difference between the new On-one, the Mukluk and the Moonlander? (apart from price and drive train?)

peanut
    Free Member

boltonjon – I have the same issue going on in my head too. I only know that I WILL be buying ONE
    of them.

devs
    Free Member

You had it up teh Conval yet swavis? <ooer missus>

lordmerchant
    Free Member

no.

emac65
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    emac.

Maybe the Fatbike rider at the Dyfi was having a little tootle round with his mates and not taking things very seriously.

You mean like I was…….I didn’t even bother filming myself overtaking people to show how awesome I was at overtaking people….. 8) 8)

swavis

devs – Member
    You had it up teh Conval yet swavis?

Not yet, just a quick spin on the singletrack by the river. Can’t go too far, junior #2 threatened to make an appearance last night but all calm again now.

singlespeedstu

I didn’t even bother filming myself overtaking people to show how awesome I was at overtaking people…..

Nor did I.
    Someone else did it for me. 😉
    Shame he forgot to turn the camera on on the world cup descent. Might have cought you on vid being unable to pass a fat old bloke an an unsuitable bike. 😛

Kbrembo
    Free Member

You even get Turbo’s for Fat Bikes…..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC7QGFyOXlE&feature=related[/video]

Grizla
    Free Member

Well I’ve gone and preordered an on one.
    Roll on December.

The missus said I should get myself a pressie so there it is!

So please, nobody say anything bad about the fatty…

Bregante

The missus said I should get myself a pressie so there it is!

So please, nobody say anything bad about the fatty…

Wouldn’t dream of it. She sounds ace for letting you have a new bike.

Does she not mind you calling her that?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Why not just get some square wheels instead?

coastkid
    Free Member

You have a good wife there indeed! 🙂

You do indeed get rollers for fatties 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKEHoA_xl-U[/video]

trail_rat
    Free Member

devs

just change the front chainring to suit ….

i have 1 x 6 on my sandman.

thats 34:(24:34) then if im going somewhere soft i have 26 upfront with same cassette

rOcKeTdOg

Don’t do it or you’ll risk looking as ridiculous as this idiot

fatty on fatty by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Mountain Mayhem 2006 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Should I get a fat bike?’ is closed to new replies.