Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Should I fit a carbon frame down tube protector?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Just picked up a carbon 29er mtb frame and whilst there is a 3m type guard on the underside of the downtube I wanted to ask whether people fit a more robust one?

When I ride the trails on my zesty I am always hearing loud bangs where a flint or rock is clattering the underside of the frame.

Thanks

nickdavies

Nothing at all on mine and its a bit of a state, not much paint on the downtube left and lots of rub all around the head tube.
    Looks cooler now than it did new, remember chicks dig scars!

Mintman
    Free Member

3M tape for me and it seems to be coping ok.

pingu66
    Free Member

If you want one buy one, you will be gutted if its something you thought about and didn’t do and you get a hole on your downtube.

Try these guys out http://www.rockguardz.com/

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just to play devil’s advocate for a second – can’t it take the lacquer/resin off if you leave it too long?

My Helitape took most of the lacquer off of my metallic on the Thorn 🙁

willber
    Free Member

heat it up before you remove it – helps preserve the paint finish. I fitted one of the rockguardz – it lasted a weekend in Kinlochleven where it got smashed to pieces, but others rate them so i might have just been unlucky.

Lots of alps riders use old innertubes – not pretty but does the job

chakaping
    Free Member

Saw lots of cut-up tyres on downtubes out in the Alps this year.

Looks quite cool but maybe not the right look for a carbon 29er.

olixmb4x
    Free Member

ive got a section of cut tyre down the lower portion of my downtube

not too pretty but does the job. i even trimmed off as many knobs as i could to make it look smoother

chakaping
    Free Member

Of course that begs the question… what tyres for my downtube?

andyl
    Free Member

definitely fit something. If you fit a tyre then fit some helitape under it to protect against abrasion from trapped dirt which will very quickly make a hole.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Put something on it. Why risk a new frame for the sake of £50 worth of material, and a few grams of weight.

flanagaj
    Free Member

If you want one buy one, you will be gutted if its something you thought about and didn’t do and you get a hole on your downtube.

Try these guys out http://www.rockguardz.com/Thanks. They look just the ticket. I will get one of those

Candodavid
    Free Member

Just bought a sheet of 3M backed flexible carbon 1.3mm thick for £23, 2 layers going on the downtube of my Tallboy Ltc…just in case

Google rubber sheeting – I got some sticky backed 4 or 5mm thick stuff from a random workshop in Birmingham. They wouldn’t even take a pint off me.

gordonb
    Free Member

Of course that begs the question… what tyres for my downtube?

Has to be a maxxis high roller…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Should I fit a carbon frame down tube protector?’ is closed to new replies.