Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Should I drag myself to Hamsterley?
  • sharkattack

It’s getting harder and harder to pack the van and get out these days. I could just leave it but now my girlfriend has a bike and she’s moaning that we never go out. Shot myself in the foot there.

So I’m looking at the weather forecast with its heavy rain, wind chill and flood warnings. Then thinking about how chopped up the trails will be and how I’ll be covered from head to toe in wet shite in the first minute. Thinking about the grit in my eyes as my front wheel goes anywhere but straight in an endless spongecake of brown cack. Then have to strip off in a car park and carry a bucket of drenched, mud covered clothing and kit back home.

Typing this I’ve talked myself out of it. Bollocks to it.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Makes me want to go to Hamsterley 🙂

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the hardest part of any ride is to actually get onto the bike, the rest is easy, the rest is a joy but the getting going is the hardest part especially on a dark wet winters day. MTFU and don’t think about it and just get on with it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonba
    Free Member

Currently sunny in Newcastle and I’m sat in the office. If you want to come here and write a lab report for me I’ll go to Hamsterley.

chakaping
    Free Member

Check it’s open. Saw something about a load of fallen trees.

And mtfu, obvs.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

No sympathy from me 🙂
    kids, work, house etc means that getting out at all is a luxury.
    You’ll miss it when it’s gone so get out there!

Kahurangi

Fallen trees from last weekend were cleared by Sunday morning.

Looking forward to a shuttle day on Sunday coming 😀

GTFO and ride! The built trails are not too muddy after rain, the off-piste is slippery fun.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Drove 3 hours for it to be shut last saturday. broke down and waited 7 hours for recovery.

SirHC

Youo have a van, makes it easier.

MTFU, Get out and embrace the mud, its good for you.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/soil-therapy.html

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

You can come here and cover for me whilst I go out for a birthday ride?

sharkattack

I made it. It took 6 days but this morning I grumpily packed the van and headed out. Immediately had a minor road rage incident. Girlfriend left the pork pies in the fridge at home. It was all going so badly.

Quite enjoyed it when we got there though. Very warm for the time of year and the rain mostly held off. Everything, everywhere is soaked and rutted and slippery. Trees down all over the place. Now that the girlfriend can handle herself a bit better we went off the map and did a bit of exploring which was good.

I’ve had a real love/hate relationship with my bike this year. I’ve just been a miserable git all year to be fair but it’s mostly justifiable given certain events. Riding has been the last thing on my mind but when you make the effort you very rarely regret it.

Last weekend was a blur of pizza and cake and ice cream and loads of pints. Tonight my lungs hurt and my legs are buzzing and I’ve got a clear head. I might get more than three hours sleep tonight which will be great.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a rule that says if I have put my kit on I have to ride, otherwise I’ll feel like a pillock taking off unused kit.

It’s surprisingly easy to put my kit on, that’s how I trick myself into going for a ride.

sharkattack

I have a new technique. We packed the van last night with bikes, clothes, everything we need. This morning we pretty much just got up and went out the door. Nothing worse than looking out the window at black rain clouds then starting from scratch.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Should I drag myself to Hamsterley?’ is closed to new replies.