Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • Should I ditch my office job to start a biking holiday business?
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Almost into my 10th year here. Chucked it all in and sold up in the UK moving over lock stock and barrel with the missus and 2 young kids.
    We had a slightly different approach to some as in we have no interest in offering the fully catered option, for one there is no end of accommodation here and secondly, even if we did fancy working pretty much 24/7 there was no way at the time that we could have afforded the property that we would have needed.

It was 5 years of hard slog to start with, building a reputation and getting the island recognised as a possible MTB destination. Doing everything ourselves, marketing, advertising, website, admin, the list was endless. On top of that there were part time jobs to help keep the funds topped up.

Now almost 10 years in, we make a living, we have a lifestyle we enjoy and I get to ride bikes pretty much daily with a huge variety of people. It’s still hard enough with just the day to day business stuff, guiding and looking after the rental bikes, so doing the hospitality side too would scare the crap out of me.

Similar to what someone else said, we could grow, but I don’t want to get to the point where I’m managing a business and not doing the enjoyable stuff, so prefer to keep it as it is now, small, personable and flexible.

Like Doug, I’ll need a lottery win for the Ferrari minibus, but I have food on the table and love what I do. I couldn’t face having to go back to a “normal” job now.

In short, if you can afford it get out and try. Expect it to be very hard graft at first but it can be rewarding too.

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Should I ditch my office job to start a biking holiday business?’ is closed to new replies.