Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Should I convert my old TALAS 36's to Floats??
  • rocket
    Free Member

Got an older pair of TALAS 36R’s (2007/8 I think – the model year before the QR20 dropouts). They work fine, although the lowest (100mm) TALAS setting hasn’t worked for a while. However they don’t feel particularly plush. I was going to service them and replace the seals anyway, so wondered if its worth spending another £85 on the Float conversion – will it improve performance? Bear in mind they are old forks, but mechanically they seem fine. Or should I just cut my losses and get me some of them french Pikes for £350?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Slightly off topic but do your’s “auto-adjust” ? I have 2006 36’s (the 150mm travel ones) and I find they wind themselves down to lower travel.

rocket
    Free Member

No auto adjust – the 130 and 160 settings stay where they are, but they won’t go in to the lowest 100 setting (which I never used).

chillidave
    Free Member

I’m in the same position, I have a 2009 Talas R, although they perform ok enough I find myself running low pressures to get much small bump performance. I almost bit the bullet and bought the parts but held back not knowing quite how much of a difference it would make.

I’d be interested to hear anyone’s experience post conversion.

Megatron

Had a set of 2010 Talas R 36s… Didn’t like the feel of them, how they sat into the travel if I had them adjusted to move nicely etcetera and didn’t use the travel adjust that much.
    I had a chat with the people at TF Tuned for their advice. I was asked about the bike they would be on, my riding style, weight, where I liked to ride and what I wanted from them. Then sent them off To be converted to Van R.
    A little extra weight behind them, but not that noticeable. The main difference is how much better they work. I thought it was well worth the cost of conversion.

Lakes_Puma

I had a set of 2010 TALAS and converted then to float, was an easy conversion and the difference it made was very noticeable.

The became much plusher on small bumps etc.

timmys

Yep, I converted my 2010 36 TALAS to FlOATS – much better now. Best thing about TALAS is that it gives you a nice idea of what travel to go with when you do convert them (I went with 140)!

rocket
    Free Member

Cheers folks. Looks like it will be worthwhile.

Best thing about TALAS is that it gives you a nice idea of what travel to go with when you do convert them (I went with 140)!

– didn’t think you could change travel? Conversion kit says its only 160mm…

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve converted all 3 sets of TALAS 36’s I’ve had to float’s, it’s quite cheap to do really and makes a massive difference to performance.

I’ve not missed the travel adjust at all and you can easily space them to appropriate length/travel for the bike using 10 or 20mm spacers..

Had one set @140mm, one at @110 and one currently at 150mm.

timmys

– didn’t think you could change travel? Conversion kit says its only 160mm…

You just add travel spacers as desired.

Could be a good weekend to buy the FLOAT kit if you haven’t already…

Spend £50 or more at mojostore.co.uk this weekend and receive a 20% discount!
    Use coupon code: MOJO2526 on the checkout page to apply your discount.

The offer applies to everything on the store so with the winter approaching this is a great time to stock up on service spares, or even treat your fork to a new set of Heritage Decals. There are also some great offers on ex-demo shocks and forks.
    Offer is valid for 25th and 26th October only. Available to retail customers only.

chakaping
    Free Member

Flog ’em and get the Pike if they’re still that cheap.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Should I convert my old TALAS 36's to Floats??’ is closed to new replies.