Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • should I coat a gear cable with owt to lower friction?
  • pjbarton
    Free Member

About to assemble a new shifter into a new outer. So I have the opportunity to add oil, or WD40 type stuff… any experiences?

ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never done it, a good routing is worth much much more.

andyl
    Free Member

What outer? SP41 has a good grease already in the outer so don’t use anything.

bencooper
    Free Member

I always use a bit of light teflon oil.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I just put a little blob of teflon grease into the outer end before fitting the ferule as an extra weather seal.

chakaping
    Free Member
    z1ppy

SP41 user here, though I’ve alway rubbed the inner cables along a wax candle, no idea if it really helps but it’s become habit.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Light oil. Makes a world of difference.

Grease can be a little “sticky” particularly as the weather gets colder.

qwerty
    Free Member

You need a little magic on your cables http://www.rocklube.com/cable.htm

lunge

Cable Magic as mentioned above. Been using it for years and it’s really rather good.

muddy9mtb

general consensus is it won’t hurt and light oil/ grease will be required anyway after a few wet rides – the outer cables are not made of stainless like the cable and will begin to rust over time…you don’t need to pack it with grease just a light dosing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 cable magic

Also, KCNC do coated cables which feels quite sticky at first (the coating makes them noticeably thicker), but the coating seems to break down to a powder after a few rides and the friction drops off to almost nothing. Only used them on the road so far, not tried them on the MTB yet, but I’m tempted.

Also (again), middleburn, KCNC and others do cable oilers, fit one of those about 6″ from the rear mech on a continuous outer and it allows the oil/WD40/cable magic to flush grit towards the mech, rather than just adding it to the exposed sections which just sucks more into the outer.

cookeaa

I treat all my bike’s cabling with Spittle and Disdain…

pjbarton
    Free Member

thanks all! genuinely useful feedback.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve been trying Fox Float Fluid as a cable lube and it seems pretty good so far. Not the cheapest, but I mistakenly bought a bottle of the stuff, which im not using much of!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

And spend a bit of time with a file getting ends of the outers nice and square.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

And spend a bit of time with a file getting ends of the outers nice and square.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rub them with candle wax or snowboard wax and apply cable magic. Can’t tell them apart from shimano polymer cables and they stay smooth for ages as the wax repels water (used to maintain 20 hire mtbs and went from changing cables daily to monthly 😀 ).

deadkenny
    Free Member

SP41 full outer + cheap SS inner cable. Never have issues with it sticking or affecting shifting. With a full outer I don’t lube the cable. Partials I might do, but I don’t use them these days.

But if you like spend a bit on teflon coated inners. Or you can lube the cable.

pjbarton – Member
    So I have the opportunity to add oil, or WD40 type stuff… any experiences?

Light oil, or wax. Not WD40!

WD40 is a solvent and water displacer. Not a lubricant. Use it to free rusty locks. Though you could use it on a rusty gear cable I guess, but the cable is shot anyway at that stage.

The same goes for GT85. It’s WD40 with a teflon additive to let Halfords convince their customers they can lubricate everything with it, and thus have them bring their bikes in to be fixed a few weeks later when all the grease is gone and it’s grinding away 😉

dickie
    Free Member

I’ve been using full outers for years & always install Middleburn Cable oilers.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/middleburn-cable-oilers-4mm-prod31608/

I put one 50mm after each shifter & one on the rear mech cable outer just after the BB.
    Roll back the O-ring & input the straw of a GT85 can & squirt away.

But now I’ll try get some Cablemagic in.

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ve just been using bog standard any-old regular oil thats been hanging around the garage in one of those handy drip feed dispenser can type things.

bike hasn’t exploded and I can shift on the MTB and brake on the BMX with ease.

On the gear at the mech end just give it a wipe to stop muck buildup before you ride. I never put in enough to drip out the end though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘should I coat a gear cable with owt to lower friction?’ is closed to new replies.