Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Should I buy this motor?
  • br
    Free Member

Road tax cost?

Only ask as my wife’s 4×4 of that ‘vintage’ was over £450 pa

crapjumper
    Free Member

It’s on the VCAR register mate ! I wouldn’t touch it with a shitty stick

King-ocelot
    Free Member

“Stunning example” and it’s in a CAT D? No chance at that price. I’d buy a banger on vcar for a chance but not blow that kind of money on a car that will be hard to shift.

Pigface
    Free Member

What’s VCAR please?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

08, think I drove one most of the way round Tasmania, NSW, Vic & SA. Fairly average motor, thirsty in the petrol and crap for storage space on the inside for the size of the thing. Also a bit noisy and not that comfy.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

VCAR (Vehicle Condition Alert Register) is the register of cars that have been written off by the insurance companies at some point in their life.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cheers Rockhopper

PePPeR

It’s a little naughty just putting that in the advert, as people recognise what cat D means but not VCAR.

turboferret

Very cheeky listing VCAR as if it’s a plus point in the list of features, the uninitiated would very easily not realise what that means 👿

Unless it’s half the price of what similar non-listed cars would go for, I wouldn’t touch it.

Cheers, Rich

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Often there is nothing wrong with a cat D, it could have been written off for something as minor as a dented wing. There are many reasons why an insurance company might choose to write off a car with minor damage rather than pay out to fix it. Convenience and speed of processing the claim has a lot to do with it – they can’t be bothered with the fuss and expense of paying for rental cars and managing the case. The price should be 10 or so percent lower to reflect it – could be a plus point in that you could use it as a negotiation point to hammer the price down, especially if the car has been up for sale for a while.

Obviously you should make yourself comfortable with the reason it was written off and that the repair was done properly. Query it with the previous owner, the garage that carried out the repair, query the insurance company etc. the fact it’s a cat D means it was a very minor thing that has not affected the safety, structural integrity or that the car cannot be returned to the road as good, if not better, than it was before.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Do we know its a cat d though? The add just says its on the register so it could have had a lot more serious damage and been a cat C.

bigblackshed

On first impression I’d walk away. If you can get the info out of the dealer and find it’s insurance history, then it might be worth pursuing if the price is right and you just have to have it.

Speculation on the reason it’s VCAR. At some point in its life it’s needed work worth more than or very close to it’s commercial value. No insurance company is going to “write off” a £7-8K car, if it was done recently, without good reason. A heavy crash and you can reach £8K very quickly. Minor, superficial damage would need to be LOT of work to get to £8K.

On a sub £1K car, CAT D can be as simple as a small dent and a few scratches. The Wife’s Polo was borderline with a small dent in the wing, a few scratches and a new door mirror cover.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Wobliscott is that based on experience? About. 5 years ago My girlfriend had a cooper S worth about £8k written off on car d when it was nicked and crashed. In my experience cat d (and above) on 8k cars means more than a dented wing, a £1500 car maybe. I’d want more than 10% off too if your situation changed and you needed to sell the car a cat d will be harder to shift.

Plus we don’t know the history of the car, the advert could always be a mistake.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A door skin and a wing came to £2500 on my Alfa so its easy to get to £8k

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The fact that it’s on VCAR is why It’s cheap & TBPH I hadn’t even realised it was VCAR!
    Anyway, It was the reg no that caught my eye in the 1st place!

08, think I drove one most of the way round Tasmania, NSW, Vic & SA. Fairly average motor, thirsty in the petrol and crap for storage space on the inside for the size of the thing. Also a bit noisy and not that comfy.
    The X Trail gets 4.7 on Autotrader reviews. Freelander gets 4.5, Honda CRV gets 4.5, I know these figures aren’t that reliable but they give you an idea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is that out of 5? If so some people must have some low expectations 🙂 But then it’s probably on a par for other soft roaders with.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What do you recommend then MW? Looking for something that will pull a caravan, 4WD capability, manual transmission/economical/comfortable-ish/pokey, diesel, enough boot space for me, the wife/dog/bike/fishing gear & associated paraphernalia?
    Am seriously looking for that vehicle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats the 4wd for?
    A decent sized estate with a decent engine will be more comfortably and just as capable.

It’s just personal experience, borrowed one from the mother in law and put about 20k KM’s onto it. The boot space isn’t that big and on par with a big estate (mondeo/accord etc) but not as comfortable.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

It’s also 140 miles from where you live. That’s a long drive/tow if it needs fettling under warranty. Surely there are better cars closer?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The 4WD capability would be to go where I wouldn’t like to risk my Passat! we go to Scotchland a fair bit & would like a bit more ‘versatility’ even though the Passat’s a decent size inside.
    suburbanreuben, I wasn’t actually contemplating travelling that distance to look at it even if it was cosha!
    Still like the reg of JWG though!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

suburbanreuben, I wasn’t actually contemplating travelling that distance to look at it even if it was cosha!
    Still like the reg of JWG though!
    POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I’m lost now, you weren’t actually thinking of buying the car you just likes that it had your initials on the number plate and wanted to share that?

How about a forester?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How about a forester?

I’ve looked but they only get 4.4 out of 5, quite small luggage space too. I think the X Trail’s still in the lead.

I’m lost now, you weren’t actually thinking of buying the car you just likes that it had your initials on the number plate and wanted to share that?

People share a lot worse things on here! 🙂

(& out of interest I’ve mailed the seller of the dodgy one to see what state it was in before repair)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’d take those ratings with a pinch of salt if I’m honest. Especially if they are generated by users not road testers. We have an MR2 and someone have it a low rating as ‘there was no room for a buggy’ and compared it to a focus 1.3 which they liked more, while this is an extreme example my point is unless the cars compared with like for like etc it may be best to try it yourself.

unovolo
    Free Member

If you just want 4WD for the xtra traction/grip and not for more serious off roading then why not go for a Octavia Estate 4×4 , or the Scout version if funds will allow.

Or a older Audi A6 allroad if on a budget, both are probably more capable other than areas that require more ground clearance.

Take the reviews with a pinch of… for every person saying there car is great there will be another saying its shite.
    Personally I judge each car individually as you will always find good and bad examples of the same model.

Northwind

What’s your thinking for the 4wd? Where do you want it to go? Standard cars can run out of ground clearance pretty fast on broken surfaces but otherwise it’s surprising where a 2wd car can take you. Especially if you put a bit of thought into the tyres.

I wouldn’t touch that one purely because the dealer’s shown themselves to be untrustworthy. I wouldn’t even buy a perfect car from a shady dealer unless the price was the same as private sale.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The 4WD capability would be to go where I wouldn’t like to risk my Passat! we go to Scotchland a fair bi

You know we have roads up here? bridges, motorways, the works. And it’s surprising how many people manage without 4*4’s.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Indeed. But that issue aside a Forester has stacks of room, my old man moved me in his (05) a couple of times with room to spare. Only problem(s) are the engines, petrol is thirsty and taxy whilst diesel has a rep for the bottom end going. Otherwise I’d have one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not to knock every car but… the missus bought a forrester before I got over here to Oz, the petrol uses for too much fuel and has a 50l tank which means you spend too long at petrol stations. Usable space on a par with the Octavia we used to have, maybe a bit wider but not that useful.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You know we have roads up here? bridges, motorways, the works. And it’s surprising how many people manage without 4*4’s.

I know, I’ve been before. It’s also got some awesome tracks that Passats can’t manage. I know cos I’ve tried. 😕

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy this motor?’ is closed to new replies.