Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Should I buy this car? – Audi A4 content
  • funkrodent

Morning all

Would really appreciate some advice from those who know more (anything) about cars than I do.

In brief, looking for a small estate to use as a runaround/bikecar/take kids and dog in. For the next year or two, maybe longer.

Saw the following for an Audi A4. Previously looking at Focus estates. Budget was originally £1.5k, so this car would stretch that somewhat. Thanks for any thoughts, particularly on the value of the work that he’s had done..

I’m selling our reliable family car of 10 Years. We’re expecting another child so we need a 7 seater. It has been well looked after & serviced regularly with full service history, MOT not due until the end of December. Its recently had a new cambelt, water pump & tensioners replaced and cross crankshaft pulley, injector wiring harness (original Audi part), fuel cooler(heat dissipator) (original Audi part) new front tyres, rear break pads (Audi Pads), new tailgate license plate light trim and lights (original Audi part) new windscreen wiper arm (original Audi part), ignition switch & starter motor, new battery. I’ve spent over £1650 in the past 6 months to get the car ready for us to use for another 100,000 miles which it could easily do. Also just had a major service, all filters, fuel, pollen and oil from TPS so original Audi stuff. Additionally EGR gasket replaced, ARB link and rear break linkage. Radio, CD etc all working. New Luk Clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced in August 2010. It’s a tidy car, couple of minor scratches and a couple of very small dents, excellent condition for the age inside and out. , , It’s a great chance to get a well looked after family car that has had a lot of recent work done with all receipts to show. 2 keys & security key, , Feel free to ask any questions., 2 owners, Next MOT due 28/12/2016, Full service history, Electric windows, Air conditioning, Parking aid, CD player, 16″ Alloy Wheels, Power steering, Roof rails, Central locking, Alarm, Immobiliser, Driver’s airbags, Passenger airbags. SILVER, £2,350

Thanks again.

EDIT – it has 120k on the clock

nickjb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put any value on the work done. Its just ongoing maintenance and repairs.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’d never buy a car from a vendor who can’t spell brake.

mike_p
    Free Member

The Audi will cost more in maintenance than a Focus in the long run. The Focus is a cheap car to own, but the Audi is a nicer car no doubt. My FIL has an A4 of a similar age, never missed a beat (which is more than can be said for him!).

funkrodent

nickjb – Member
    I wouldn’t put any value on the work done. Its just ongoing maintenance and repairs.

Fair point, I appreciate that. That said, so often when you’re looking at cars of this vintage, you might see service history and a couple of jobs done (usually the cambelt and/or the clutch). Unusual to see so many pieces of work listed. I’m taking it as the guy is thorough and has really looked after it…

weeksy

Fair point, I appreciate that. That said, so often when you’re looking at cars of this vintage, you might see service history and a couple of jobs done (usually the cambelt and/or the clutch). Unusual to see so many pieces of work listed. I’m taking it as the guy is thorough and has really looked after it…

Or they’re just a bit Paris Hilton.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Our A6 tdi Quattro was 7yrs old and had 110k on the clock and had needed pretty much no work except comsumables over the time we had it from new. That being said ex-wife sold it for £7k which I thought as a steal for someone. Our car was also immaculate, imo Audi’s show their age very well.

The key to owning that car would be a good non-dealer garage, as for assuming it will “easily” do another 100k thats optimistic without many bills.

I am very brand loyal to Audi but in your position, financial (ie stretch) and family I probably wouldn’t take the chance, that extra money (if you want) spent on a Focus would surely get you a better car.

funkrodent

mcmoonter – Member
    I’d never buy a car from a vendor who can’t spell brake.

Indeed. He wouldn’t last long long on this forum 🙂

I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and blame spellcheck.. 😐

doncorleoni
    Free Member

So long as you check receipts carefully (especially for big ticket items) then looks alright.

I would prefer to buy a car with all that work done

Cambelt (which should be done on all cars that age)
    Clutch done
    Dmf done

All other stuff is stuff that does wear over time. New starter and battery is another plus as depending on engine can be a bit of a pain to remove (the starter anyway).

funkrodent

Would you care to elaborate?

funkrodent

Ooops, double post

philjunior
    Free Member

There is a long list of stuff, but listing stuff back to 2010 on a 10 year old car.

If stuff needs doing it’ll probably be pricier than a Focus, with less choice of non-OE parts, and whilst that list of stuff wouldn’t put me off it wouldn’t entice me either.

bruneep

Indeed. He wouldn’t last long long on this forum

Indeed
    😉

johndoh
    Free Member

To me that text sounds like the words of an experienced seller who knows exactly what they are doing – and the bit that worries me most is:

I’ve spent over £1650 in the past 6 months to get the car ready for us to use for another 100,000 miles which it could easily do.

So why sell it? If I had just spent that I would want to recoup the outlay, not sell it on (unless I knew of other hidden issues that I was withholding).

Nico
    Free Member

So why sell it? If I had just spent that I would want to recoup the outlay, not sell it on (unless I knew of other hidden issues that I was withholding).

I’m selling our reliable family car of 10 Years. We’re expecting another child so we need a 7 seater.

weeksy

funkrodent – Member

Would you care to elaborate?

High maint and expensive to look after.

mmannerr

What’s the actual model? The text is lacking any meaningful details about year, model, engine and spec. Surely these would be mentioned if seller has skills to properly maintain the car.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The Audi will cost more in maintenance than a Focus in the long run. The Focus is a cheap car to own, but the Audi is a nicer car no doubt.

Personally I’d still go for the Focus, purely because the boot is bigger and there’s more space in the rear for passengers. Also on a car of that age there’s a lot more gimmicks in the Audi to go wrong.

simon_g

What’s the actual model? The text is lacking any meaningful details about year, model, engine and spec. Surely these would be mentioned if seller has skills to properly maintain the car.

This.

Although a mate has a 2003 A4 Avant (the 1.9 TDI) and it’s still going well way past 200k.

However, no matter what the car if you’re buying at >10 years and >100k miles you should have a healthy contingency fund. If you’re stretching your budget to buy then maybe not the best idea.

funkrodent

mmannerr – Member
    What’s the actual model? The text is lacking any meaningful details about year, model, engine and spec. Surely these would be mentioned if seller has skills to properly maintain the car

Apologies, copied off autotrader. Those details elsewhere on the ad. 1.9tdi engine, 2002 A4 Avant

earl_brutus

Had this exact same 2002 1.9tdi A4 car for 7 years ran it to 150k miles at which point it developed an electrical fault with the central locking, phantom drain on battery, and a mystery leak meant it was time to offload. Got 1k for it though to a couple of polish guys which have a sideline in restoring and selling on old Audis! only routine servicing, one new clutch and a wiper motor needed doing in the time I had it. Rust was starting of front wheel arches which is a common problem.

funkrodent

Thanks Earl, did you have it from new? Just looked at and driven it and it was fine. Guy seemed legit too. Off to see a Focus now!

earl_brutus

I was the 2nd owner bought with 70k and a fsh. It was a very nice car and the interior was real quality. Now got a Skoda superb estate.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

My A4 is hitting 135k and still runs well. it’s comfy, spacious and fine to drive. Ex company car, and FSH

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can’t believe people didn’t get this 🙂

funkrodent

I can’t believe people didn’t get this

On reflection, neither can I *hangs head in shame*

jambalaya
    Free Member

😉

dooosuk
    Free Member

Sounds like a car built on a Friday afternoon on that list of replacement parts.

Ok, the cambelt and associated parts, clutch, battery and brakes are consumables and it’s good to know they’ve been changed but why was the clutch replaced 6yrs ago when the mileage is only 120k today? Seems early for the clutch to go…how many miles has it done since then?

The injector wiring harness, fuel cooler, ignition switch & starter motor, EGR gasket, ARB link and rear brake linkage aren’t consumables.

The new tailgate license plate light trim and lights and new windscreen wiper arm point to a possible rear end collision or a poorly looked after car.

Run the reg through:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

to if the history is clean, any advisories etc.

funkrodent

Thanks for the input guys. Having given it some thought I’ve decided against it for now. Interestingly whilst the guy was talking about who had done the work for him I could have sworn he nearly said “welded”. Particularly interesting in light of dooosuk’s comment above. Also tried a Focus estate, but it’s just too small, with a tiny 1.6 that’s going to struggle with my weight, let alone that of family, luggage, bikes, tent, dog etc.

Looks like I’m going to go down the tried and tested of an 04/05/06 Mondeo estate. Can be picked up for peanuts and generally they run and run. Bit bigger than originally intended but the missus has stated quite clearly that she’s not in the least interested in driving it, so that’s okay then.

Thanks again for all your input!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We’ve had three Passats (similar platform) each were still/are still going strong with the same engine and age with 200,000 miles on the clock. None have required any welding for rust.

dooosuk
    Free Member

A good decision given that the last MOT advisories for the Audi read:

o/s/f and n/s/f top suspension arm bushes cracked
    front brake hoses slightly cracked
    oil leak
    nearside front Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

Towing eye cover missing in picture on autotrader and rust/leaking around rear light cluster may also indicate a rear collision at some point?

Also had a year where it did less than 3000 miles which may indicate time off the road.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@doosuck – a quick thanks for that link its excellent. Just checked my car and it’s all there inc advisories however our other old car with a private reg which was transferred has neither the original or current vehicle

funkrodent

dooosuk – Member
    A good decision given that the last MOT advisories for the Audi read:

o/s/f and n/s/f top suspension arm bushes cracked
    front brake hoses slightly cracked
    oil leak
    nearside front Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

Towing eye cover missing in picture on autotrader and rust/leaking around rear light cluster may also indicate a rear collision at some point?

Also had a year where it did less than 3000 miles which may indicate time off the road.

I love this website! My missus (who calls it Singlecrack, with some justification tbh) was properly cynical when I started this thread, well I think she’s going to have to eat her words just a tad..

Thanks again to all, much appreciated!

hora
    Free Member

£1650 spent recently? Sounds like they’ve called it quits and decided to get out. One thing that I’ve found with car sellers, take what they say with caution. Really give a car a going over then go on gut feel.

If you REALLY want a car that you won’t spend anything on buy mine. A 07 Toyota petrol Avensis. Then again I know buyers have weird arrogance and think German and old English cars are better imagewise.

Seriously, I don’t have breakdown cover, I drove to Belgium and back last week.

funkrodent

Hora you old dog. I’m assuming any deal would incorporate the £20 I’m pretty sure you still owe me for the jenson seat post 🙂
    Might be interested though. What you asking?

hora
    Free Member

Petrol, 7 Toyota main dealer stamps, 58k (I’ve done 13k in it since Oct last year), mint condition. With European Satnav built in, auto lights, auto wipers (you can chose), electric folding mirrors. It all works. I have an itch to scratch. Pop round. One issue, it looks like a taxi but they don’t chose cars that’ll cost them do they?. It doesn’t squeek or creak and it took me down to Dover, France, Bruge and back for my birthday. 🙂

I bought it as I knew my employer was going to implode within a month or so, so it has served me well as a redundancy transport.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seriously, I don’t have breakdown cover, I drove to Belgium and back last week.

I drive my 2007 car everywhere UK to Alps and beyond, 24 month service intervals, I don’t have breakdown cover either FWIW whatever I buy as bike transport will likely be older and be drive aarp and dahhn Europe as well. 8)

Modern cars are so much better than what I was buying s/h in 1980

funkrodent

Definitely interested. What money are you looking for?

hora
    Free Member

WBAC values it at £2500 which I’d been fine with as it’d help me negotiate more off my next car. If it’s on the high side I could help you find another- the slightly older ones are fine as long as they haven’t been snared by a taxi company but those are easy to spot.

funkrodent

Mate, email me on benwaterhouse1@gmail.com . Cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy this car? – Audi A4 content’ is closed to new replies.