Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Should I buy these Schwalbe Marathons?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

Punctures abound at the moment with GP4000s, I’ve had enough so looking for some serious protection on my 16 mile round trip city commute.

If I get Schwalbe Marathon Plus with smartguard in 25mm variety, will my already hefty Pompino commuter turn into a tank?

Alternatively, has anyone experience with the Durano Plus?

Thanks.

jimc101
    Free Member

Been using 25mm Durano Plus (older version, badged as Stelvio Plus) for a 8 months now for Audax use, only used them on the rear, got about 3500km out the first before it was down to the blue liner, replaced with another, done aout 1500km on that so far, looks almost new still.

Very fast and light weight considering the puncture protection layer it has in it, weighs alot less than a Marathon.

The first Stelvio Plus I had was covered by cuts in the end, but it never punctured, have used Marathons as well before, and can’t remember any punctures with them either

steveoath
    Free Member

I have a 12 mile round trip city commute and use the marathons running the 700x35c and they’re brilliant. No punctures so far.

winston_dog
    Free Member

They are brilliant at preventing punctures.

Weigh a ton though, its a compromise.

MSP

Marathon plus is a very very heavy tyre, personally I would go for either standard marathon or the marathon supreme either of which would give you a lot more protection than the gp4000s.

29erKeith
    Free Member

they’re not quick but

14 mile round trip daily commute for the last year
    and 5 mile commute daily for 2 years before that + a few other weekend rides on them…
    and not 1 puncture in about 3 years of using them

for commuting 100% yes get ’em IMO

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Same experience as jimc101 – +1 for the Durano Plus. Almost as puncture proof as a Marathon Plus, weighs a lot less and rolls a lot faster.

druidh
    Free Member

There’s the Marathon and the Marathon Plus (then there are all sort of other variations). The Plus is by far the heaviest and “dead-est” of them all but is almost indestructible. The ordinary Marathon is a decent compromise. Depending on your frame, you might have trouble getting a Plus to fit.

rewski
    Free Member

Great tyre, I use marathon plus on my HT commuter, 30 miles per day, 3-4 times a week, 1 or 2 punctures over the past 5 years, 1 of those was due to brittle and persished rim tape.

2tyred

Should you buy them? Depends how much you enjoy dealing with punctures on your commute.

20 miles a day every day on Marathon Plus for years here. Just remember to keep them properly inflated – I’ve never punctured with one that wasn’t worn out, but I have had a sidewall split after being run at too low a pressure for too long.

Equally happy on crappy roads and canal towpaths. They are heavy but on the plus side they make normal road tyres feel amazing when you change wheels!

ianpv
    Free Member

Marathon plus are indestructible, but are heavy and just feel nasty. I’d have them on a commuter bike though, any day.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Marathon Plus tyres are super heavy but durable. I used Marathon Supremes for 3000 miles of laden touring They are much much lighter, roll well, good in the wet and were puncture free.

The 32mm Supreme comes out at the same width as a 28mm Marathon Plus.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve done 2 years on ‘standard’ marathons.

about 3000km?

i’ve had about 10 punctures, they’re always annoying, and always on the back – i’m guessing the extra weight on the wheel helps drive bits of glass through the tyre.

so…

it’s now a marathon plus on the back, keeping the ‘standard’ on the front.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I switched to durano plus for winter last week and had a puncture on my first ride with them. It was glass that did it and on changing the tube noticed there was also a rather large thorn also embedded which hadnt got through the puncture belt, so hopefully it was just bad luck. I suspect the thorn would likely have punctured on the pro 4 that were on before.

ds3000
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies – I think I’m going to go with the Marathon Supremes, in 28mm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy these Schwalbe Marathons?’ is closed to new replies.