Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Should I buy and do i need a full sus bike?
  • rooney
    Free Member

Purchased an awesome titanium hardtail a few months ago. Love riding it but don’t want to trash it. I use this mainly when training solo at present and racing off road tri and duathlons.

Should I get a full sus – lapierre possibly for friendly easy going group days for use at Innerleithen and Glentress? Or would the hard tail be sufficient?

Cheers

TheBrick
    Free Member

Do you feel you are being held back or can’t keep up with friends on group rides?

If you can’t keep up is it you bike, fitness or skills that is the main cause?

Do you just want a new bike and are looking for anonymous individuals to justify the buy?

Mugboo

Yep

4ndyB
    Free Member

test ride several bikes and make your own mind up, don’t just look at one brand either

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

If you have the money and space, why not?

You don’t need one, but wanting one is reason enough.

You won’t break your hardtail ny riding it at GT or Innerleithen.

rooney
    Free Member

Bike and fitness are fine – afraid skill on going down hill is missing just now 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

rooney – Member
    Purchased an awesome titanium hardtail a few months ago. Love riding it but don’t want to trash it.

Makes me giggle this, build/buy a bike and then you’re scared to use it, why even bother in the first place?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Bike and fitness are fine – afraid skill on going down hill is missing just now

You’re doing better than me then! I think the key is in stuartlangwilson’s post!

rooney
    Free Member

rooney – Member
    Purchased an awesome titanium hardtail a few months ago. Love riding it but don’t want to trash it.
    Makes me giggle this, build/buy a bike and then you’re scared to use it, why even bother in the first place?

I’m not scared to use it I love using it! I was wondering if a full sus would be more practical for black runs. And I’ll not speed away on the climbs 😆

mboy
    Free Member

If you’re worried about trashing a titanium hardtail, now’s the time to give up riding!

CERTAINLY don’t go buying an aluminium full sus frame with lots of pivots… 🙄

Need and want are 2 different things. Do you need one? No. Do you want one? Sounds like you do…

mokl
    Free Member

I can understand you wanting to restrict wear and tear on the hardtail if you are using it more as a racing bike. I would say go for a full sus if you fancy one. I would be tempted to go for something quite different in a full sus ie get a slacker trail bike rather than something racier. That way you will appreciate the differences between the 2 bikes even more and find each fulfills a particular role. Your hardtail could be your race bike and real mile muncher whereas your full sus might be more for just messing about on on group rides or for giving you more confidence when trying steeper stuff.

trebord
    Free Member

rooney, where do you do the off-road tri events?

rooney
    Free Member

I’m at fort William on Saturday for big ben, also durty in Scottish Borders although I missed this year. Duathlons throughout winter in Borders. There’s a full IM off road way down south but the entry fee is silly!

Looking to do more that’s why the hard tail purchase.

I like the idea of a slacker trail bike? But as a novice what bikes would this be?

Cheers

mokl
    Free Member

There are so many good trail bikes around that I would get down to your nearest decent bike shop and ask for some advice and try and get a demo on something once you’ve narrowed it down. Human nature dictates that we will probably mostly recommend what we have ourselves (unless we’ve had a bad experience), but only you will really be able to tell what is right for you.

stevede
    Free Member

If you can afford to and want to then go for it i reckon. I have a Cotic Soul and as much as it could in theory do most things it’s much more fun having the option of the Soul or my Spesh Pitch, the full suss gets used for everything from techy trail rides, razzing in the woods to full on downhill and the Soul gets used for xc and razzing in the woods as well as more techy stuff when i fancy the challenge.
    Go for it, i doubt you’ll regret it.

prezet
    Free Member

Ride the hardtail more – ultimately you’ll become better at picking your lines rather than just ride right though them and rely on the ‘bounce’ to get you out of trouble.

Sounds like you just need to get out and ride more, rather than thinking a new bike will make you a better rider.

My 2c.

donsimon
    Free Member

Love riding it but don’t want to trash it.

Why did you buy it? And why do you think you won’t trash a FS?
    Only you can answer whether you need want one or not. I’m a confirmed HT rider what you lose on the down you’ll more than make up for on the climbs with miles of smiles.
    Hardtails are ace.

rooney
    Free Member

Got a 2nd hand full sus but Think I prefer the hardtail !? 🙂

xcentric
    Free Member

buy insurance?

rooney
    Free Member

Think I climb more technical stuff better on hardtail? Is this weird? I also think I prefer control I have going down even if it is bouncy and knocking crap out me :-). I’m probably slower but as said I’m faster climbing .

🙂

buttercup
    Free Member

Climbing will almost always be better on a HT, especially if that’s what you’re used to. More hang ups, but more raw power.

FWIW, I got a full suss after riding a mates in Wales for a day. Since then, about 4 months, I have taken the hardtail down more decents that I got the Full Suss for. Keep the hardtail. It’s more fun HT. Plus! It makes you look like the pirate spawn of the Hoff and Steve McQueen at the end of a trail.. But without the misogyny.

fullysussed
    Free Member

yes.

Mugboo

If you never ride a full suss then you won’t care!

At the end of each winter I wonder why own a FS.

Wouldn’t fancy a proper Lakeland ride on my HT though.

KZP894
    Free Member

Recently bought a full sus bike after 23 years of riding a hardtail.
    The FS is enormous fun!

tk46hal
    Free Member

Sell the ti!
    Forget the F/S!
    Buy a ti 29er!
    Job done! 😉

Bernaard
    Free Member

I had a Ti hardtail and swapped it for a Lapierre Spicy.
    Have to admit that I love the Spicy as it fits right and it rides lovely.
    When I did Inners and GT i ride a FS but really regreted not taking the HT, and found myself wanted another.
    I have ridden rocky trails in the Peak District faster on my hardtail that I have on a FS too. Plus I broke the pivot bolt.
    Therefore I am in the lucky position to get another HT, being a blue pig and will see how it pans out.
    Also have a 29er too. But save that for local stuff.
    HT all the way. Except when you want to ride FS :mrgreen:

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy and do i need a full sus bike?’ is closed to new replies.