Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Should I buy an sds+
  • goldfish24

Google research hasn’t made my mind up yet…

Got a new house. Got a stone fireplace to remove. Got a few sockets I’d like to chase into the wall cos they’re currently surface mounted.

Shall I buy an sds+ drill (titan at £50 from screwfix?) to use the chisel function, and complement my cordless combi or shall I make do with hammer and chisel?

Only stw knows.

bearnecessities

I bought one with similar reasoning. Then:

I chased in my in sockets by drilling holes and whacking with a bolster.

I took up the concrete paths using a pick axe.

I took plasterer of the walls using a bolster.

Etc..

It is badass though; I’m sure one day I’ll need it for something.. 🙂

olly2097
    Free Member

The titan is a beast. But by God it’s heavy. If you can afford a lighter model go for that. Mind you the titan makes light work of everything. Used mine to knock off old plaster throughout the house, take down walls, open a fireplace, drill holes (obvs) it’s good.

Got my eye on a bosch cordless one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattbee

Yes. It’s another of those tools that may not be used a lot but when you need to do the jobs it’s good at, it’s an absolute godsend.

phiiiiil

I got a dewalt 2kg sds drill for bashing some big holes in walls. I used to think “I can’t be bothered to get it out for small holes, I’ll just grab the cordless” but it really is so quick and easy compared to the cordless thing that I use it for pretty much any hole that requires a masonry drill now.

nickjb
    Free Member

A 2kg sds+ with hammer/hammer&drill/drill is a very useful tool around the house.

petefromearth

An sds is so much better for masonry than an ordinary hammer drill. I don’t know why, it just is.

If I were buying a new one I’d go…
    Corded
    Good brand, not the cheapest…
    Normal chuck that you can swap on
    Nice carry case

spacemonkey

Bosch 2000 SDS+ here.

Great for masonry and breaking off “small” lumps of stuff at a time. Struggled with paving slabs and made no inroads on concrete footings (even with Dewalt chisel bits) – had to hire a kango for that.

Conclusion: softer compounds like brick, render and plaster are a piece of cake – harder ones less so.

cp

I’ve got the Aldi beast of an sds+

It’s a beast! Used domestically it’s ragged tiles off the wall in the kitchen and bathroom, tiles off the floor in the kitchen in seconds.. broken concrete, drilled a 150mm diameter hole through two layers of bricks for the kitchen extractor… Etc. Large holes in masonry/concrete is a joke compared to hammer drills – hot knife through butter!

It’s also got a clutch so you don’t break your arm when a drill bit or hole saw snags.

I’ve taken it to site as well and drilled all manner of holes into concrete floors.

stumpy01

I bought a Bosch SDS drill for demolishing a pond in our garden. It’s probably the most used of all my power tools now.

I think it’s a 2kg one…

gribble
    Free Member

Yes. I never got excited about power tools, then I bought a Makita SDS (corded). Feels like I am wheedling power like a crazed loon. Great deal online (Amazon).

Makes light work of tough masonry and makes my other drill feel inadequate.

jeffl

In answer to your original question, yes.

BigJohn

The Titan with all the drills and chisels is a great buy. They used to have core drills in them too, but I think they’ve had to reduce the kit to get to a price point.

You will fill the room with brick dust so seal everything off and wear protection.

Great fun though.

footflaps

I’ve got a Bosch SDS, very handy.

Bought one with a clutch for using core drills with.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Ive got the Titan one, it really is a beast.

Not used lots as my normal cordless hammer drill does ok on brickwork for rawlplugs etc

But when I need to get something into the stone wall parts of the house there is no competition.

It does blow dust around a lot, and it is a lump, but there are some jobs that I couldn’t have done without it.

And I just used some DeWalt xlr sds+ bits in it. They have a cross tct point rather than the conventional dagger point. What a combination that is.

TheDTs
    Free Member

and

I just got these.
    FTW

lesgrandepotato

I likes the Titan – heavy beast but used it to demolish a 12mtr long 3m tall stone clad wall without it missing a beat.

goldfish24

I brought it 🙂

Paid the extra 20 quid for a case and some extra bits.

singletrackmind

I have used my Titam SDS for digging a trench . Its a great bit of kit, Holes in re-inforced concrete floors – No Problemo. Its easy to get carried away and drill for victory and blow through things .
    Mine didnt have the depth guage thingy

mick_r

Great pieces of kit, but go gently if you want to drill through something where you’ll see the opposite side of the hole (eg pipes and cables through walls). The knife through butter hammer drilling can sometimes just blow the back out of the brick leaving a very untidy hole.

linchpin
    Free Member

You wont regret having an sds. I have a building company and we’ve obviously got loads. Whilst we find Dewalt and Bosch last the longest (in that order generally), for the 2kg ones we actually buy cheaper Hitachi as they often have 3 yr warranty and their warranty service is superb – you actually deal with a human being.

burko73

Anyone tried the red makita ones. Currently in it’s for £84 plus vat.

burko73

I meant in ITS

It’s the makita mt range

Looks similar to std makita, perhaps older tech.

footflaps

we actually buy cheaper Hitachi as they often have 3 yr warranty and their warranty service is superb – you actually deal with a human being.

I leant a DeWalt SDS to a friend who got some grit stuck in a brush (in the motor), which damaged it. He took it in to get a new brush and they said ‘we don’t have spares for that model, so here, have a new one’ and just gave him a brand new model. No receipt needed either.

BigJohn

The Titans have a 2 year no quibble warranty from Screwfix.

As a result, lots of them go back because they get thrashed and abused like a rental car. If you buy the one with all the accessories, you get like for like so all your blunt drills and chisels get replaced.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

goldfish24 – Member
    I brought it

It’s pretty epic, I’ve a decent makita combi drill for 90% of jobs, but the Titan goes through concrete lintels like butter.

An sds is so much better for masonry than an ordinary hammer drill. I don’t know why, it just is.

It’s a combination of 2 things

1) Weight, newtons second and third law mean a big heavy hammer drill is far more effective than a light one, however hard you press it into the wall. By the same token a 5 to 7kg SDS drill will go through masonry much quicker than a 2kg one.

2) The chuck, an SDS bit floats back and forward in the chuck, so the hammer action only acts on the bit, it’s not having to move the whole chuck back and forward, 2nd and 3rd law again means this puts far more force into actually knocking chunks out of the wall.

DT78
    Free Member

Dumb question alert – I’ve been given a second hand Makita lxt sds by the inlaws – I cant work out how the chuck works? Admittedly I haven’t spent long researching, I just tried to fit a normal drill bit to it to do some rawl plugs, gave up and used my normal combi.

mrjmt
    Free Member

you need SDS bits

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What mrjmt said.

SDS bits are keyed/splined and just push in (pull the chuck back to open the jaws and push the bit in). There’s nothing to tighten like in a normal chuck.

demelitia
    Free Member

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb653sds-corded-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/6846h

Might be of interest to anyone on the fence. £15 off, daily deal.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy an sds+’ is closed to new replies.