Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Should I buy a van…. or am I kidding myself?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Big plus point nobody has mentioned is that you’re legally allowed to park a white van anywhere. Literally.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

True dat!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve had a van for 10 years now.

Don’t see my self without one now so handy.

As above unless you are in the south east Aircon not essential just open windows.

We started with a pug partner now have an lwb iveco daily and loving it.

So much nicer to cruise on the main arterial roads than a majority of cars I’ve done long trips in…..Inc Merc c and e classes and bimmer 535. Because they seem to build those for short people far prefer the upright seating.

As for speedlimits on motorcaravan conversion it’s not clear cut and depends on variables. I’m still limited to the lower limits despite being a legit registered v5 motorcaravan.

I’m not that fussed. 10mph makes so little difference I just stick the cruise control on and relax. In fact to the end that cruise control would be on my list of musts before air con.

Oh and think carefully before ripping out the bulkhead – all that stuff you stick in the back – fridge stove etc plywood boxes bikes etc all wants to fire forward in a sudden stop (ie crash) left my bulkhead in both my vans for that reason albe it with a largish viewing hole for escape from back if the door didn’t work – and in my pug I fitted 2 X ladder style bulkheads to protect passengers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    benp1

I would love to have a van, but can’t make the maths and logistics work

I like the creatures comforts, I’ve got used to them – climate, sat nav, Bluetooth, xenons, leather etc. Moving to a van feels like a backwards step

The clincher was that we moved to one car as two was a waste (I cycle commute and have a motorbike), and that one car has to be a petrol given our type of journey. Van would be handy probably less than 5% of the time

For some reason I still haven’t given up on the idea though

Andy

Just had my van converted to body type Motor Caravan so same speed limits as a car now. Trail Rat why isnt the re-registration clear cut? I thought it really straight forward to get the van re-registered and the speed limits once converted are quite clear as well.

Seems pretty clear?

wrightyson
    Free Member

My transit with bulkhead fitted is simply the hottest vehicle I’ve ever had to sit in. First time I’ve not had aircon and miss it big time. Dual carriageway/motorway driving is a real chore with Windows down but it’s unbearable on some days.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My transit with bulkhead fitted is simply the hottest vehicle I’ve ever had to sit in. First time I’ve not had aircon and miss it big time. Dual carriageway/motorway driving is a real chore with Windows down but it’s unbearable on some days.

spooky_b329

Andy, I think thats the first time I’ve seen motor-caravans explicitly singled out in an official table of speed limits. Normally the reasoning is that the van no longer falls under ‘goods vehicle’ as its a motorcaravan, and therefore it must fall under normal car speed limits.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d imagine that big Iveco of Terrys may be above the 3.05 tonnes?…

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’d not be with out one now.
    Current one is old and slow 1.9 non turbo expert but this years been the most costly in a while , heater matrix £30 but maybe more like £50 with coolant and this week the alternator died £ 2.50 for new brushes.

Insurance is cheaper than our golf tdi estate

Can’t see a down side

simmy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be without a van now.

I’m not bothered about speed, the van is so much easier to throw the dog in, get the bikes in do tip runs and it reminds me of when I was a white van man 😉

Insurance is through Brentacre, mods declared ( alloys and extra Windows ) £398 per year

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m 7.5m long and 2.4tonnes empty before my conversion. I don’t have an exact wet weight but it is more than. 3.05tonne when loaded up with the perminantly conversion and it seems the paperwork was the only thing that the professional converter did professionally . Frankly anything above 60 I can watch the fuel gauge drop as the revs rise anyway. Getting circa 38mpg calculated atm so happy not to be doing 70 as these beasts can be as low as 20mpg

That is why it’s not clear cut

I’m 180 quid a year in a motor home policy.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lol 7.5m is longer than my better halfs 7.5t horse box

Oddly the 7.5t lorry is only £160 to tax and less than £200 to insure

RoterStern
    Free Member

For us we are a family of seven so there are not many options other than a van. For those saying a van isn’t as comfortable as.car haven’t sat in a Multivan.

doubleu
    Free Member

Transit connect owner here. When the lease on my Yeti was up and my office location had moved, I needed something that wasnt mileage restricted and cheap.

Bought an 07 plate lwb high roof model in silver (with air con). To us, we wouldnt be without the air con and I specifically looked for vans with it. That alone was a challenge.

Its small, but I’ve insualted it, built a sliding bench / double bed and put a small cupboard in there. Window fitted in the side. Towbar and roof box as well. Cosy for two of us but its fine!

Next week we’re doing the North Coast 500 in it with a cheeky stop off at Fort Bill with the bikes 🙂

peterno51

What about one of these, perhaps a little bit over original budget, seems to have all the creature comforts people are saying don’t exist, and has a flappy up door at the back. I’d have one. And it’s stealth white and will do 160mph*. Win.

Linky to Autotrader Transit Custom

*maybe.

a11y

That Transit Custom is basically what we’ve got on order, except we’ve gone for tailgate and single passenger seat. Same price as a Vivaro equivalent, both around 2/3 the price of a new lower-specced T6 Kombi.

jolmes
    Free Member

Starting to toy with the idea of a van too. We went from a fiesta with dog to an i40 with dog and baby. The i40 is twice the size and still we lack room. when going away.

Drove the brother in laws work van which is swb custom transit and it drove like a car with all the mod cons and the space was lovely. He had his motocross bike in the back and dh bike strapped to it. Very tempted by one as i dont generally like the whole “van feel” but appreciate the space.

wwaswas

7.5t lorry is only £160 to tax

There’s some weird VED change at 3500kg – it switches to a flat rate.

Out motorhome was replated from 3500kg to 3800kg when new (as were a lot of others) to take advantage of it. You can get them plated back down if you have a licence that limits you on max weight. I’ve nto bothered as I figure the extra payload may come in useful and there’s no financial or use incentive to do it.

wilburt
    Free Member

Similar thoughts to rhe OP wih the same reservations however has an airport taxi run in a Peugeot Expert and thought it could tick the boxes.

I would want something pre 2007 too smokey for me and yes some creature comorts would be nice all ot which you get with the Pug/Citroens and I think they are big enough to get a bed and bikes behind the back seats.

Downside is they look a bit crap and you may get stopped as a taxi. .

Upside there cheap fast enough and a bit car like.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy a van…. or am I kidding myself?’ is closed to new replies.