Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Should I build my long travel hardtail play bike as a "46er"?
  • Norton
    Free Member

Just building up a Woodman D to muck around on – its designed for 26" wheels but when WMB tested it favourbly way back in 2004 they used a 170mm Sherman fork but with a 24" front wheel amd 26" rear to keep front end under control. Thoughts on handling etc?

mamadirt
    Free Member

I'd have thought it'd better to do it the other way around – 24" rear for quick acceleration and 26" front to roll over stuff better (appreciate that'd be madness with the Shermans though . . . slacktastic 😉 ). I ran a 26"er up front on my little Stinky 2-4 – rocked on the downhills but climbing was definitely not an option.

Having said all that, I'm sure it's something I'd like to give a go to. Love messing around with different set-ups and geometry and the lower front would definitely make the Shermans more manageable on the ups.

thomthumb
    Free Member

would have thought the angle of attack of a bigger wheel would negate the more travel but smaller wheel.

dropoff

24" on the back with a 3" tyre on, it's how I run my .243 and it's a right laugh

Rickos
    Free Member

From memory Worland only did that to keep the angles from getting too slack. thomthumb has a point though, so unless you've already got 170/180mm forks and a 24 inch wheel is it really worth it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Should I build my long travel hardtail play bike as a "46er"?’ is closed to new replies.