Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Should I be feeling a bit put out? Job interview content.
  • flyingmonkeycorps

So, I applied for a job a few weeks back. Got through the second stage which was making a short video of me answering some questions, then had an interview / assessment on Wednesday. Five of us did the task and a mini interview; they kept two of us back for a ‘proper’ interview. I thought it went pretty well, but that’s not the point.

I didn’t get the job. That’s fine too, that’s how interviews work.

What does bug me a bit is that I found out via email. Just seems like a bit of a cop out after making it that far, or am I out of touch and that’s just how things work now? I’ve not had an interview for a good few years before this one.

allthepies
    Free Member

You should see the tweets they posted about you!

😉

[Bad manners IMO]

rudebwoy
    Free Member

think there might be a sales job going on another thread 😉

cp

I did pretty much the entire process including the offer and rejections by email last time we took someone on. It’s like a letter, only instant.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

If I was recruiting and had two final candidates I’d let the unsuccesful one know by phone, with feedback if requested. It’s a matter of courtesy IMO.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

and better than sms 😕

dyls

Wouldn’t worry about it. I had an interview once with quite a big energy company, went really well, but never heard a thing, not even a “no thanks” 😆 and they can’t use the excuse of no staff, they had a dedicated HR Dept.

jota180
    Free Member

I used to always call shortlisted, unsuccessful candidates and talk through why they’d not been selected, it’s the decent thing to do.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah… I’m not over stressed about it, just seemed a bit bad manners. Makes no difference, I didn’t get the job 😉

rogg
    Free Member

No harm giving them a call and asking for feedback. And you never know, the other guy might change his mind.

transapp
    Free Member

Don’t worry, I had an interview followed by a full day assessment at a world leading company, however I found out I was unsuccessful via a short, you’ve been unsuccessful this time email. By all means call to ask why, but don’t stress it, it’s just the way of the world

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Thats how it is these days, you jump through hoops ( time/ fuel to get there / time prepping ) then they offer you the least they can get away with or you hear nowt
    Theres a lot of large company HR depts that ought to be ashamed of themselves

beckykirk43
    Free Member

Seems to be a sign of the times – there’s enough people wanting the job that it doesn’t matter to them.

I’d got as far as being told by a potential employer we just needed to meet up to “agree terms”, but was then asked to do another phone interview and then someone else got the job. I wouldn’t have minded not getting the job, but being told we just needed to agree terms suggested it was mine…!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Seems to be a sign of the times – there’s enough people wanting the job that it doesn’t matter to them.

This.

Plus it pretty much reflects the nature of communication now a days but I’m pretty old school and think you’re quite right and think its unprofessional not to at least call you and give feedback and allow you to ask questions.

If anything it give you an idea of the value that organisation places on peoples feelings, it may be a lucky escape 🙂

aidanoggy
    Free Member

If I was recruiting and had two final candidates I’d let the unsuccesful one know by phone, with feedback if requested. It’s a matter of courtesy IMO.

^ this

More than three I’d write or email

Northwind

I had to do some rejections a while back, we settled on emails eventually for speed- we had 7 candidates to disappoint and it took about 20 attempts at phone calls to speak to 2 of them. I like letters, but they’re slow. So, polite emails with “Please feel free to call us” (and a bit of effort to make it look genuine!). And in the end, because I’m a soft touch, I sent out accompanying letters as well just to be nice.

But I guess this would vary depending on industry? We do a lot by email anyway and most of the pre-interview communications were done that way so it was a continuation.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I received a call from an HR manager from a supplier of European car parts in respect of a job offer. He told me he’d seen my CV and wanted to talk further, he said he’d send the job spec the following day and call to speak further. Nothing materialized and I’m left with the thought on how such an unprofessional company can do business and I’m more than happy that I’m not working for them, if that was the best they could do in the initial impression stakes.

Weasel
    Free Member

I went through the same about 7/8 years ago, verbal offers then withdrawn, no feedback from numerous major global companies, interviews when your told at the end they are benchmarking their preferred candidate, and so it goes on.

It becomes very demoralizing, and the agencies don’t really seem that bothered either.

brooess
    Free Member

I went through a pretty hard 2nd interview for a job recently. couple of days prep, 1/2 day assessment. SEnt email afterwards saying was interested.
    Heard nothing for a week, sent reminder. Was told they would chase
    heard nothing for 2 weeks, sent reminder, heard nothing
    sent another reminder, told I didnt have it.

tbh when the guy I would have reported to was taking messages on his BB during the interview I’d already decided he didn’t have the respect and manners of the kind of person I want to be managed by… this whole process just confirmed it tbh.

Very unprofessional process, sends a terrible message to people you’re supposed to want to work hard for you…

So I’m afraid I think your experience is relatively common. tbh be glad you don’t have to go and work there

cynic-al
    Free Member

A number of places I’ve applied to and been interviewed by haven’t even responded.

Maybe it’s me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Should I be feeling a bit put out? Job interview content.’ is closed to new replies.