Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Should Gyms be banned in prison?
  • Kuco

Sorry didn't think through fully 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

like your style meehaja.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don't say that Kev, or else others will think they can post intelligent, well thought out rational posts on STW.

And then where would we be. Eh?

BTW YGM.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

gyms dont make killers, its the people we need to deal with.

Junkyard
    Free Member

[jealous] why dont you e-mail me anymore?[/jealous]

Kevevs
    Free Member

nevermind..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jujnkyard; I did, but your email kept 'bouncing'. I'll try it now.

Tulisa? I've just spent a couple of hours in Canary Wharf with WCA, and let me tell you, the babes????!!?1?

Actually the cute little East European lass that came to collect our glasses was more stunning than any of the office type ladies. Like a little package of loveliness wrapped up in a perfect form.

Just right for me really!

But she ran away… 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

new one in profile

Kevevs
    Free Member

but that tulisa from that N-dubz?……..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Charles Bronson was(is) in solitary confinement for much of his sentence and devised a regime of exercises using his own weight (think push ups, sit ups, squats etc) and even wrote a book on how to do the same workout.
    He's built like a brick privvy and it takes about 4 guards to control him

Except for the time he was in HMP Durham (close supervision centre)& told the 4 screws he'd do them all in, so ONE of them went in his pad, closed the door behind him & painted the walls a lovely colour of Charlie Bronson Red. But you don't hear about those bits do you?
    As for 90% of the prison population having mental health problems that means we currently have 630 (in the prison I work in) who have those problems?
    No.
    & in answer to the OP…
    No.

mogrim

mogrim – Member
    90% of prisoners suffering from a mental illness

That seems unlikely – or at least using a very wide definition of mental illness. Were it really the case there'd be a lot more suicides than there really are, a lot more stabbings etc.

He also gave a link fo rhis claim which if you had followed also had this underneath the prevalence rates
    The suicide rate in prisons is almost 15 times higher than in the general population. In 2002 the rate was 143 per 100,0001 compared to 9 per 100,000 in the general population.2
    1 The National Service Framework For Mental Health: Five

Years On, Department of Health (2004)

2 Samaritans (2004) Information Resource Pack (2004
    Is 15 times higher enough for you?

Nice Post Konabunny..silly reply mogrim

Not really, I stick by what I said. 15 times higher indicates higher rates of mental illness – but doesn't support the assertion that "90%" of prisoners are suffering from it.

(Checking out the original link it now says 70%, not sure what's happened there…)

tron
    Free Member

Charles Bronson was(is) in solitary confinement for much of his sentence and devised a regime of exercises using his own weight (think push ups, sit ups, squats etc) and even wrote a book on how to do the same workout.

You can only do so much with press ups and the like. A press up is equivalent to benching 60-70% of your bodyweight. So to get beyond a certain strength, you need access to weights.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dunno what % of prisoners actually use the 2 gyms at our place but only a very small %age are muscle clad 'giants'. I would say most go for the cardio side of things. A few do big weights, some do lots of reps, some go 3 or 4 times a week & you wouldn't know by looking at them. I go at least once a year to do my fatness test (or is it fitness test?)
    Anyway, If a prisoner loses his gym sessions, which is usually by being a c0ck while in the gym one way or the other, he's soon as good as gold to get them back.
    Back to the subject of mental health problems, I'll be speaking to our heads of psychology, & mental health tomorrow. I'll get back to you.
    I personally wouldn't like to see the gym sessions abolished. It's bad enough when they can let off steam down there, there'd be ructions if they couldn't.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Except for the time he was in HMP Durham (close supervision centre)& told the 4 screws he'd do them all in, so ONE of them went in his pad, closed the door behind him & painted the walls a lovely colour of Charlie Bronson Red. But you don't hear about those bits do you?

Possibly because it would result in the arrest and dismissal of the officer for assault/violent conduct?

personally wouldn't like to see the gym sessions abolished. It's bad enough when they can let off steam down there, there'd be ructions if they couldn't.

Having spent just 36 hours banged up, I can't imagine how worked up I'd get if I was locked up for a long period of time. People I have spoken to who've been inside say that gym/exercise/sports privileges are something you do not give up lightly.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Possibly because it would result in the arrest and dismissal of the officer for assault/violent conduct?

Would it? Why haven't you ever heard of a prison officer being dismissed for that type of behaviour then? I'm not saying it happens every day & I've only heard of 2 instances, the CB instance being one & another at our place a few years ago. I can only imagine what happened to the guy at Frankland recently who almost killed one officer & wounded two others in a totally unprovoked attack.
    Plus, i don't reckon old Charlie was a grass.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No I'm saying if a prisoner getting battered in a custody became news, then I'd imagine the officer in question would be disciplined appropriately, and the situation investigated, and rightly so I'm sure you'd agree.

There have been two cases in the news this week of copper getting done for assaulting people in police custody, so such a thing would definitely make the news.

That such information would get out, is oanother thing.

Plus, i don't reckon old Charlie was a grass.

You, on the other hand, have just told everyone on an internet forum that he was allegedly battered in his cell….

Spongebob
    Free Member

I'd ban weights and any bulking up exercises. Cardio exercise is essential, but they don't need expensive gym equipment for this.

We lock up dangerous thugs to protect the public right?

It is therefore rather stupid to allow these volatile dangerous people to to equip themselves to become more able to impose their will on others through intimidation and violence!

The money saved on gym equipment could be channelled towards improving counselling and psycotherapy. However, if an offender doesn't want to change, they won't!

I think there are many offenders who could use a bit of assistance in learning how to deal with difficult situations without the need to become overbearing, or to lash out.

It's a crying shame the victims aren't the focus here!

I find this nonsense about prisoners needing a way of channelling their frustrations into bodybuilding kinda irriting! This point of view smacks of the "what about my human rights" complaining we're so used to hearing. The "hand it to me on a plate" culture that is devoid of a single shred of personal responsbility!

Most people work on learning calm self-control, so why are these prisoners a special case? They put themselves in prison and entirely at the great expense of the tax payer, so what right have they got to determine what benefits they get?

Personal responsiblity, self-respect, self-control and respect for others is what they need to gain from prison, not muscle mass!

samuri
    Free Member

Now I am very disappointed that he hasn't got vengance and death tats all over him and, his head is far too big for even his butched up body.

Bet he has far more self respect now though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You, on the other hand, have just told everyone on an internet forum that he was allegedly battered in his cell….
    Yep, 'allegedly', by ONE other person, behind a closed door. He'd 'allegedly' told the 4 of them he'd take them all out together.
    Anyway, that subject's a complete digression from the OP.

Creatine has recently been banned from prisons because it (again, 'allegedly'} has some side effect which masks the effect & results of certain other drug use, as in a prisoner giving a drug test which would normally be positive, turns out negative. Something to do with the liver & proteins/enzymes, or so I'm led to believe.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Should Gyms be banned in prison?’ is closed to new replies.